Global warming err Climate change HOAX

10 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Greta Thunrburg has serious issues.  As in "She's going to develop a slew of affective disorders and kill herself by age 30" issues.  

I don't hate her.  I pity her.  I hate the adults in her life who are doing this to her.

Get them while they're still young, and their minds are more pliable. Isn't this how they created the Hitler youth? It's beyond shameful to do this to children.

• Like (+1) 2

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. GHG emissions continue to rise, despite scientific warnings and political commitments.

▶ GHG emissions have risen at a rate of 1.5 per cent per year in the last decade, stabilizing only briefly between 2014 and 2016. Total GHG emissions, including from land-use change, reached a record high of 55.3 GtCO2e in 2018.

▶ Fossil CO2 emissions from energy use and industry, which dominate total GHG emissions, grew 2.0 per cent in 2018, reaching a record 37.5 GtCO2 per year.

▶ There is no sign of GHG emissions peaking in the next few years; every year of postponed peaking means that deeper and faster cuts will be required. By 2030, emissions would need to be 25 per cent and 55 per cent lower than in 2018 to put the world on the least-cost pathway to limiting global warming to below 2˚C and 1.5°C respectively

Figure ES.2. Top greenhouse gas emitters, excluding land-use change emissions due to lack of reliable country-level data, on an absolute basis (left) and per capita basis (right)

EKTsA-iU0AMewOr.png

2. G20 members account for 78 per cent of global GHG emissions. Collectively, they are on track to meet their limited 2020 Cancun Pledges, but seven countries are currently not on track to meet 2030 NDC commitments, and for a further three, it is not possible to say.

▶ In contrast, seven G20 members require further action of varying degree to achieve their NDC: Australia, Brazil, Canada, Japan, the Republic of Korea, South Africa and the United States of America. For Brazil, the emissions projections from three annually updated publications were all revised upward, reflecting the recent trend towards increased deforestation, among others. In Japan, however, current policy projections have been close to achieving its NDC target for the last few years.

4. The emissions gap is large. In 2030, annual emissions need to be 15 GtCO2e lower than current unconditional NDCs imply for the 2°C goal, and 32 GtCO2e lower for the 1.5°C goal.

▶ Estimates of where GHG emissions should be in 2030 in order to be consistent with a least-cost pathway towards limiting global warming to the specific temperature goals have been calculated from the scenarios that were compiled as part of the mitigation pathway assessment of the IPCC Special Report on Global Warming of 1.5°C report.

▶ This report presents an assessment of global emissions pathways relative to those consistent with limiting warming to 2°C, 1.8°C and 1.5°C, in order to provide a clear picture of the pathways that will keep warming in the range of 2°C to 1.5°C. The report also includes an overview of the peak and 2100 temperature outcomes associated with different likelihoods. The inclusion of the 1.8°C level allows for a more nuanced interpretation and discussion of the implication of the Paris Agreement’s temperature targets for near-term emissions.

▶ The emissions gap between estimated total global emissions by 2030 under the NDC scenarios and under pathways limiting warming to below 2°C and 1.5°C is large (see Figure ES.4). Full implementation of the unconditional NDCs is estimated to result in a gap of 15 GtCO2e (range: 12–18 GtCO2e) by 2030, compared with the 2°C scenario. The emissions gap between implementing the unconditional NDCs and the 1.5°C pathway is about 32 GtCO2e (range: 29–35 GtCO2e).

5. Dramatic strengthening of the NDCs is needed in 2020. Countries must increase their NDC ambitions threefold to achieve the well below 2°C goal and more than fivefold to achieve the 1.5°C goal.

▶ The ratchet mechanism of the Paris Agreement foresees strengthening of NDCs every five years. Parties to the Paris Agreement identified 2020 as a critical next step in this process, inviting countries to communicate or update their NDCs by this time. Given the time lag between policy decisions and associated emission reductions, waiting until 2025 to strengthen NDCs will be too late to close the large 2030 emissions gap.

▶ Had serious climate action begun in 2010, the cuts required per year to meet the projected emissions levels for 2°C and 1.5°C would only have been 0.7 per cent and 3.3 per cent per year on average. However, since this did not happen, the required cuts in emissions are now 2.7 per cent per year from 2020 for the 2°C goal and 7.6 per cent per year on average for the 1.5°C goal. Evidently, greater cuts will be required the longer that action is delayed.

6. Enhanced action by G20 members will be essential for the global mitigation effort.

▶ This report has a particular focus on the G20 members, reflecting on their importance for global mitigation efforts. Chapter 4 in particular focuses on progress and opportunities for enhancing mitigation ambition of seven selected G20 members – Argentina, Brazil, China, the EU, India, Japan and the United States of America – which represented around 56 per cent of global GHG emissions in 2017. The chapter, which was pre-released for the Climate Action Summit, presents a detailed assessment of action or inaction in key sectors, demonstrating that even though there are a few frontrunners, the general picture is rather bleak.

▶ Based on the assessment of mitigation potential in the seven previously mentioned countries, a number of areas have been identified for urgent and impactful action (see table ES.2). The purpose of the recommendations is to show potential, stimulate engagement and facilitate political discussion of what is required to implement the necessary action. Each country will be responsible for designing their own policies and actions.

7. Decarbonizing the global economy will require fundamental structural changes, which should be designed to bring multiple co-benefits for humanity and planetary support systems.

▶ Climate protection and adaptation investments will become a precondition for peace and stability, and will require unprecedented efforts to transform societies, economies, infrastructures and governance institutions. At the same time, deep and rapid decarbonization processes imply fundamental structural changes are needed within economic sectors, firms, labour markets and trade patterns

▶ By necessity, this will see profound change in how energy, food and other material-intensive services are demanded and provided by governments, businesses and markets. These systems of provision are entwined with the preferences, actions and demands of people as consumers, citizens and communities. Deep-rooted shifts in values, norms, consumer culture and world views are inescapably part of the great sustainability transformation.

Table ES.2. Selected current opportunities to enhance ambition in seven G20 members in line with ambitious climate actions and targets

USA 

● Introduce regulations on power plants, clean energy standards and carbon pricing to achieve an electricity supply that is 100 per cent carbon-free

● Implement carbon pricing on industrial emissions

● Strengthen vehicle and fuel economy standards to be in line with zero emissions for new cars in 2030

● Implement clean building standards so that all new buildings are 100 per cent electrified by 2030

8. Renewables and energy efficiency, in combination with electrification of end uses, are key to a successful energy transition and to driving down energy-related CO2 emissions.

▶ The necessary transition of the global energy sector will require significant investments compared with a business-as-usual scenario. Climate policies that are consistent with the 1.5°C goal will require upscaling energy system supply-side investments to between US$1.6 trillion and US$3.8 trillion per year globally on average over the 2020–2050 time frame, depending on how rapid energy efficiency and conservation efforts can be ramped up.

▶ Any transition at this scale is likely to be extremely challenging and will meet a number of economic, political and technical barriers and challenges. However, many drivers of climate action have changed in the last years, with several options for ambitious climate action becoming less costly, more numerous and better understood. First, technological and economic developments present oppor tunities to decarbonize the economy, especially the energy sector, at a cost that is lower than ever. Second, the synergies between climate action and economic growth and development objectives, including options for addressing distributional impacts, are better understood. Finally, policy momentum across various levels of government, as well as a surge in climate action commitments by non-state actors, are creating opportunities for countries to engage in real transitions.

▶ A key example of technological and economic trends is the cost of renewable energy, which is declining more rapidly than was predicted just a few years ago (see figure ES.5). Renewables are currently the cheapest source of new power generation in most of the world, with the global weighted average purchase or auction price for new utility-scale solar power photovoltaic systems and utility-scale onshore wind turbines projected to compete with the marginal operating cost of existing coal plants by 2020. These trends are increasingly manifesting in a decline in new coal plant construction, including the cancellation of planned plants, as well as the early retirement of existing plants. Moreover, real-life cost declines are outpacing projections.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

EKTsA-iU0AMewOr.png decline

I was going to pull a few excerpts from this manifesto on global governance forward, but there were so many options I spent more time copying and pasting than was really necessary. 

I think the authors could have saved a lot of paper by summarizing as follows:

”While the reputation of the United Nations has been tarnished over the decades with allegations of wanton corruption; frailty of the flesh, human trafficking and sexual exploitation, in this case, you just gotta believe us.  The world is ending, had we started in earnest in 2010 things would not be so dire in 2019, and the only way to fix it is to tighten our belt. By this, we mean, we need to transform societies across the world, we need nations like the US to partner with the EU to cough up some serious money from carbon tax, the Chinese are destroying the environment, but when adjusted for economic considerations we sorta threw in there, their  pollution and environmental destruction ain’t all that bad.  We need Europe to outlaw the internal combustion engine, we need moratoriums on $&#@ we don’t like, we need everyone to step up to plant burgers, and whatever you think about the +/- $50b in foreign aid allocated in the budget of the US, it ain’t nearly enough, and you have a lot of nerve thinking it is”. 

I figure the best answer is to tell these smug prix to &$#@ off. 

Not sure why, but when I read it, I kept thinking the author looked like this guy. 

016FC2EE-A958-4208-8787-D7D6C59709C7.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I was going to pull a few excerpts from this manifesto on global governance forward, but there were so many options I spent more time copying and pasting than was really necessary. 

I think the authors could have saved a lot of paper by summarizing as follows:

”While the reputation of the United Nations has been tarnished over the decades with allegations of wanton corruption; frailty of the flesh, human trafficking and sexual exploitation, in this case, you just gotta believe us.  The world is ending, had we started in earnest in 2010 things would not be so dire in 2019, and the only way to fix it is to tighten our belt. By this, we mean, we need to transform societies across the world, we need nations like the US to partner with the EU to cough up some serious money from carbon tax, the Chinese are destroying the environment, but when adjusted for economic considerations we sorta threw in there, their  pollution and environmental destruction ain’t all that bad.  We need Europe to outlaw the internal combustion engine, we need moratoriums on $&#@ we don’t like, we need everyone to step up to plant burgers, and whatever you think about the +/- $50b in foreign aid allocated in the budget of the US, it ain’t nearly enough, and you have a lot of nerve thinking it is”. 

I figure the best answer is to tell these smug prix to &$#@ off. 

Not sure why, but when I read it, I kept thinking the author looked like this guy. 

016FC2EE-A958-4208-8787-D7D6C59709C7.jpeg

Jon-Stewart-and-Stephen-Colbert-Wow.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Ya, we will vote against him ?

So, Xi is calling the shots for the world, eh? There's nothing we can do? Might as well do the math and figure out how many hookers I can do and how much blow I can have in the next 11 years.

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

So, Xi is calling the shots for the world, eh? There's nothing we can do? Might as well do the math and figure out how many hookers I can do and how much blow I can have in the next 11 years.

it's down to 8 years now, so sayeth Bernie

maybe that's how long he has to live

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

Hunter Biden probably has some tips.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Green energy will be way cheaper than the dig, drill, pollute fossil fuel industry and would put us at a competitive advantage with China, so they will have to change to cleaner energy, too. 

Please explain how green energy will be way cheaper than natural gas or oil. Be specific.

7 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Please explain how green energy will be way cheaper than natural gas or oil. Be specific.

No drilling, refining, transportation costs are enormous, won’t have to station troops in Saudi Arabia. 

The wind and sun are free 

13 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

No drilling, refining, transportation costs are enormous, won’t have to station troops in Saudi Arabia. 

The wind and sun are free 

:lol:

Oil is free...until someone builds the infrastructure to exploit it.  You ***** ninny.

• Haha (+1) 2