Chuck Pagano and Mike Smith are worse than Marrone

Dragonborn10

Just thought I would try to make people feel a little better that the Bills have company in the bad coaching department.

Pagano should be fired at season's end cancer or not. Arians would have that team 9-1.

Mike Smith has been awful for years. He is so bad he is taking down the whole NFC South.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In hindsight, Arians would have been a great hire over Marrone. Out of all the coaching hires that year, I was thinking Mccoy might come out on top. But Arians is definently one of the best head coaches out there now.

If Marrone got rid of hackett and the front office put more effort into the QBs, then Marrone isn't so bad.But I don't see his method working. I see him doing the sames things over and over and it is failing.

Im sad, because he was an exciting hire, just because it was nice to hire a coach that wasn't fired in the last 5 years.

In hindsight, Arians would have been a great hire over Marrone. Out of all the coaching hires that year, I was thinking Mccoy might come out on top. But Arians is definently one of the best head coaches out there now.

Theoretically, as of week 11 standings, he is the the best coach out there now.

You know the difference between these Mike Smith/Chuck Pagano and Marrone?

Quarterback play. Nothing more. Nothing less. Matt Ryan and Andrew Luck were the first picks by each head coach respectively. If either didn't have a good-to-great (potentially) Quarterback, well, Mike Smith would have been canned and Pagano would likely to be shown the door.

Quarterback play. Nothing more. Nothing less. Matt Ryan and Andrew Luck were the first picks by each head coach respectively. If either didn't have a good-to-great (potentially) Quarterback, well, Mike Smith would have been canned and Pagano would likely to be shown the door.

+1. Small consolation for having a bad coach, but true nonetheless.

Just thought I would try to make people feel a little better that the Bills have company in the bad coaching department.

Pagano should be fired at season's end cancer or not. Arians would have that team 9-1.

Mike Smith has been awful for years. He is so bad he is taking down the whole NFC South.

Heck with what we have I would much rather have Chan back as a head coach & Schwartz as the DC i think this team would be 9 & 3 or better with the way Gailey understands how to use what he has on offense to their strengths .

Hackett just doesn't know how to use the players he has to the teams benefit !!

If we had Andrew Luck or Matt Ryan we'd be 8-2.

May be even 9-1.

Why doesn't this make me feel better? Maybe it is because the Bills themselves could have had Arians. In fact, the Cardinals wanted Marrone over Arians too -- but the Bills swooped in first.

Why doesn't this make me feel better? Maybe it is because the Bills themselves could have had Arians. In fact, the Cardinals wanted Marrone over Arians too -- but the Bills swooped in first.

FYI Bruce Ariens punted from the Eagles 41 twice on 4th and 1 in yesterday's game while holding just an 8 point lead.

FYI Bruce Ariens punted from the Eagles 41 twice on 4th and 1 in yesterday's game while holding just an 8 point lead.

Thats because he knows how to coach a football team based on strengths, weaknesses and relying on all facets of his team... Kinda like most coaches. And NOT like analytics nerds who believe their skewed numbers are FACTS!

Horsehockey!

Neither one of those two would allow Pears to play RG, and I'm pretty certain that they would request different players until they found one that was actually decent. Then, neither would place friendships over smart choices for assistants either.

That is exactly what killed Gailey in his choice for George Edwards as his first DC, and then Dave Wannstedt as his second choice. This is whats killing the Bills this year is Marrone is so intent on helping his best but the ST coach that he is overlooking his other friend in OC Nate Hackett.

Bad assistant coaches also killed Dick Jauron, as the man was just to afraid that if he hired someone with actual NFL experience to run his offense, that he might just be replaced by him.

Then Matt Ryan has been sucking the last two years for various reasons, and his bad QB play will probably get Mike Smith fired.. right along with their GM Thomas Dimitroff. A great QB can't overcome a bad O line, and a nonexistent run game. As we all saw last night, even the best QB's can't win without a decent run game to support them. Then what did the Patriots do? Ran the ball down Indy's throat with RB Jonas Gray for 38 rushes 199 yards 4 TD's.

But, but, but its a passing league.

Marrone is a dufus of epic proportions, as he is the one with the offensive background. St Doug is an ex NFL lineman, ex NFL O line coach, ex NFL OC, and yet is fielding the worst O line in the NFL (his supposed forte), and one of the worst offenses in the NFL (26th), and the very worst red zone offense in the NFL. Please don't compare a bad coach who hasn't gotten a team past 6-10 to coaches who both have gotten their teams to playoffs.

Horsehockey!

Neither one of those two would allow Pears to play RG, and I'm pretty certain that they would request different players until they found one that was actually decent. Then, neither would place friendships over smart choices for assistants either.

If I am not mistaken, their OLine has had just as many, if not more turnstiles than Pears and Williams/Richardson over the past few seasons.

That is exactly what killed Gailey in his choice for George Edwards as his first DC, and then Dave Wannstedt as his second choice. This is whats killing the Bills this year is Marrone is so intent on helping his best but the ST coach that he is overlooking his other friend in OC Nate Hackett.

Bad assistant coaches also killed Dick Jauron, as the man was just to afraid that if he hired someone with actual NFL experience to run his offense, that he might just be replaced by him.

Then Matt Ryan has been sucking the last two years for various reasons, and his bad QB play will probably get Mike Smith fired.. right along with their GM Thomas Dimitroff. A great QB can't overcome a bad O line, and a nonexistent run game. As we all saw last night, even the best QB's can't win without a decent run game to support them. Then what did the Patriots do? Ran the ball down Indy's throat with RB Jonas Gray for 38 rushes 199 yards 4 TD's.

But, but, but its a passing league.

Marrone is a dufus of epic proportions, as he is the one with the offensive background. St Doug is an ex NFL lineman, ex NFL O line coach, ex NFL OC, and yet is fielding the worst O line in the NFL (his supposed forte), and one of the worst offenses in the NFL (26th), and the very worst red zone offense in the NFL. Please don't compare a bad coach who hasn't gotten a team past 6-10 to coaches who both have gotten their teams to playoffs.

My point is that irrespective of what the boneheaded decision that has been made, Smith certainly has a plethora, the Quarterback's they play have been the large part for a lot of the team and their fallacies being overlooked during their tenures.

And Matt Ryan, while he isn't playing the level that is expected he still is a decent option at QB and can win you games.

Then again, you post is basically stating that Mike Smith isn't the sole reason that team has turned from a contender into a complete bottom feeder.

Even though he's playing bad - Ryan is the only thing on that team that I actually see winning them games.

Thats because he knows how to coach a football team based on strengths, weaknesses and relying on all facets of his team... Kinda like most coaches. And NOT like analytics nerds who believe their skewed numbers are FACTS!

Uhhhhh...okay. If you say so. So if other teams punt from the 40 on 4th and 1 they are smart but Marrone is dumb? Do I have that right?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

If I am not mistaken, their OLine has had just as many, if not more turnstiles than Pears and Williams/Richardson over the past few seasons.

My point is that irrespective of what the boneheaded decision that has been made, Smith certainly has a plethora, the Quarterback's they play have been the large part for a lot of the team and their fallacies being overlooked during their tenures.

And Matt Ryan, while he isn't playing the level that is expected he still is a decent option at QB and can win you games.

Whats crazy is the Bills have two very solid starters on their O line in Wood at C, and Glenn at LT, and its the absolute horrid play at the OG position that is killing the team. Plus, the rookie at RT isn't helping things in regards to their overall grade as a unit. Pears, Richardson and Urbik are so bad its bringing the entire line down, and is a big reason why they can't run effectively at all, and not much better at pass blocking.

Anyway, I highly doubt either coach would allow Erik Pears to play guard.

Erik Pears, RG: -3.9 Breakdown: Fresh off his first positive grade of the year, Pears came crashing back down to earth against the explosive Dolphins defensive line. It wasn’t that he was beat with an alarming regularity, but more that when he was beat it was often off the snap, causing plays to break down. He’s had a tough year and with the future in mind, is it time to blood some younger players with higher upside?

Signature Play: With 8:26 to go in Q2 Pears is beat so quickly off the snap at first take you think the quarterback is drifting in the pocket to set up a screen. A second viewing though eliminates any idea of that, with Randy Starks flying by the Bills right guard as if he’s not even there.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/11/14/refo-bills-dolphins-week-11/

My main point being here. The Falcons went 4-12 last year with that stud, first round pick at QB starting every game all year. It just shows that even playoff QB's can't overcome a bad team.

The strike against smith is that the Falcons even managed to suck it with a decent qb and solid skills players. I'd add here luck wasn't really paganos pick. They could have hired a minor league cricket coach from Nepal and it would have been luck.

:huh: