Chuck Pagano and Mike Smith are worse than Marrone

Dragonborn10

I've hated on this "offensive" coaching staff from last years KC game, and I'm proud of it. Before that game I defended Hackett.

What did Jauron's teams in was an unbelievably amount of injuries every season, and bad choices for OC's...all three of them Schonert, AVP, Fairchild. None of those people have advanced in the NFL past QB coach, and two are no longer even in the NFL. Jaurons forte was defense, and his offenses were weak.

What did Gailey in was his choices for his DC's, both of them stunk and set both team & NFL records for being bad. Plus, his teams had a lot of injuries too. Gailey's forte was offense, and his defenses were weak.

Maroon has no excuse, as his offense is #27th in the NFL in his area of expertise, and his red zone offense is worst in the NFL in getting TD's. His O line is ranked the worst, and his players are grading as some of the worst. He, and his staff had no idea how to get Spiller in space. Don't know how best to utilize WR Mike Williams, and mostly has been inactive because special teams are "obviously" more important the scoring TD's. This Bills OC forces his offensive game plan right into the teeth of his opponents strengths. Its almost as if he is taking bribes from the other team to throw games, or is losing on purpose in order to get the HCing job.

Marrone's forte is offense, and is currently fielding one of the worst units in the league.

http://coacheshotsea...tRankingNFL.htm

Funny how you opine for Gailey, do you remember this?

Most of what the OP has to say I agree with, tho I know most of the fans on this board think Fitz is the main problem.

What we have learned is Gailey is a LOSER! He doesn't know how to win and therefore can't educate Fitz how to win. Most of the time when the game is on the line and the Bills need to run the 2 min drill to win the game its not only Fitz who is clueless. A few players know what to do in that situation, but from watching the games this season most don't know how to utilize the clock, get out of bounds, win the game. 2 losers will never make a winner. Fitz has played on so many bad teams he has learned how to survive, and that's about it.

One thing that has become clear to me throughout the last 3 years is Gailey is mostly clueless on players ability, and doesn't watch enough game film. He is basically the exact opposite of Bill Belichick who watches countless hours of game film and breaks down opposing teams and their players ability's. In his first year he lined up Cornell Green at RT and the man was done and should have never ever been allowed on the field. Quietly benched and released after 5 games. Gailey started CJ Spiller back in 2010 with both Lynch and Jackson slightly injured. Once the game started Spiller was benched after 5 players because he didn't know what he was doing, couldn't block, couldn't find a hole, couldn't run a route.

In the past 5 years or so its always been injuries for the big excuse why this team loses so many games every year Now most fans can clearly see its the coaches ineptitude, and stupidity that loses games. Ignorance can be fixed, stupidity can't!

Chan Gailey is just plain ignorant about the defense and who to hire to run it, and I doubt this will ever change as he has had 3 years to prove different. Gailey is just plain stupid when it comes to the offense. Sure, he made minor stars out of a 7th round WR and QB. But, he has two superstar RB's and refuses to utilize them to win games. He even stated he KNOWS that both RB's should see 20 touches a game each, and even stated such, and yet can't bring himself to stop calling pass plays. Instead he calls for 5 WR empty backfield sets like he has Tom Brady behind center and Brady's receiver corps. Like he has more then one decent WR on the team.

I also feel bad for Fitz to some degree because he is burdened with Gailey as his HC. It's a darn shame that Perry Fewell wasn't retained and hired to be the head coach in 2010. He would know what to do with the defense and could have hired Gailey as his OC. Fewell could have also helped with the drafting of some of the players that Nix has drafted over the last 3 years, some good, most suck. With a decent HC this team could be 7-4 and in the playoff hunt in bad AFC East.

Do you remember who said that? You!

We've all seen this story before. A year or two passes and we forget the garbage we had earlier. This post wasn't wrong, in any facet. Yet now, two years removed from the Gailey era, all you and anyone clamoring for Chan remember are those beautiful screens we executed down 40 to the Jets.

Edited by FireChan

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hear you, i just like the bright spots to be a little brighter. i guess my problem is i was on the fence when he was hired, and some of my "hopefully he follows through with...." things have kind of fallen by the wayside. im not saying there is no chance, but i think if marrone is going to have to change his stripes on some big stuff.

Also, Marrone has demonstrated an ability to hire competent or even great defensive coaches. Something his predecessor sorely lacked.

Funny how you opine for Gailey, do you remember this?

Do you remember who said that? You!

We've all seen this story before. A year or two passes and we forget the garbage we had earlier. This post wasn't wrong, in any facet. Yet now, two years removed from the Gailey era, all you and anyone clamoring for Chan remember are those beautiful screens we executed down 40 to the Jets.

exactly in which sentence in either of those two quotes did I opine for Gailey? :lol:

I might have suggested at some point this season that Gailey would be a better "offensive" game planner, play caller then Hackett will ever be. I still think that. The Bills stats this season corroborate my thoughts on this. I would never, ever want Gailey as a head coach again.

Also, Marrone has demonstrated an ability to hire competent or even great defensive coaches. Something his predecessor sorely lacked.

I think that was more Russ Brandon / Doug Whaley then Marrone. Even if it was ALL maroon its the one thing he seems to have gotten right so far.

exactly in which sentence in either of those two quotes did I opine for Gailey? :lol:

I might have suggested at some point this season that Gailey would be a better "offensive" game planner, play caller then Hackett will ever be. I still think that. The Bills stats this season corroborate my thoughts on this. I would never, ever want Gailey as a head coach again.

I think that was more Russ Brandon / Doug Whaley then Marrone. Even if it was ALL maroon its the one thing he seems to have gotten right so far.

Schwartz is very likely marrone. Pettine also, but perhaps collaborative.... Guesses of course.

Schwartz is very likely marrone. Pettine also, but perhaps collaborative.... Guesses of course.

Well, I do recall reading that it was Brandon, Whaley who went and interviewed Pettine, and then Marrone hired him. Its kinda why I think as soon as Pettine was off to Cleveland, and Schwartz became available it was probably the same two going after the new DC. Otherwise I'd be inclined to think that Marrone would bring his DC from college with him like all his other assistants. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8847859/buffalo-bills-coach-doug-marrone-hires-10-assistants

Well, I do recall reading that it was Brandon, Whaley who went and interviewed Pettine, and then Marrone hired him. Its kinda why I think as soon as Pettine was off to Cleveland, and Schwartz became available it was probably the same two going after the new DC. Otherwise I'd be inclined to think that Marrone would bring his DC from college with him like all his other assistants. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8847859/buffalo-bills-coach-doug-marrone-hires-10-assistants

I think you'd be crazy to be a HC in the NFL if you didn't have any authority on who's a part of your staff.

You clearly stated in that old post that "Gailey was clueless on offense." Fast foward to today, you are using his offensive forte as a positive. Like I said, short memories.

In reality, Gailey had the perfect offense to beat up on eventual 2-14 or very weak defensive teams. The second he played a competent defense, it all went to hell. The only, and I mean only, lasting positive from the Gailey era was his ability to get good production from a middling RB.

Edited by FireChan

I think you'd be crazy to be a HC in the NFL if you didn't have any authority on who's a part of your staff.

You clearly stated in that old post that "Gailey was clueless on offense." Fast foward to today, you are using his offensive forte as a positive. Like I said, short memories.

In reality, Gailey had the perfect offense to beat up on eventual 2-14 or very weak defensive teams. The second he played a competent defense, it all went to hell. The only, and I mean only, lasting positive from the Gailey era was his ability to get good production from a middling RB.

Man, you just love to argue for the sake of arguing, and even when you have no leg to stand on.

Now go back and read what i stated. I didn't opine at all for Gailey as you put it. I even called you out on exactly where I stated that I "opined'' at all for Gailey in those two paragraphs. I gave you a reasonable explanation as to why I even mentioned the guy, and you ignored it.

There is no debate in my view that Gailey would be an improvement to the offense then what we are seeing with Hackett. A 14th or even a 20th ranked offense would be a big improvement over what the Bills are currently fielding at 27th, and last in the NFL in red zone TD's. Gailey sucked no question, but he would be an improvement over Hackett.

Then considering the players had to work with, Fitz very inaccurate with a weak arm, and literally one halfway decent WR in Stevie Johnson. Gailey as just an OC with Orton, Sammy, Woods the Bills with a 14th ranked offense would be a big improvement IMO.

Theoretically, as of week 11 standings, he is the the best coach out there now.

You know the difference between these Mike Smith/Chuck Pagano and Marrone?

Quarterback play. Nothing more. Nothing less. Matt Ryan and Andrew Luck were the first picks by each head coach respectively. If either didn't have a good-to-great (potentially) Quarterback, well, Mike Smith would have been canned and Pagano would likely to be shown the door.

But, is Arians winning by riding the coattails of a great QB?

I would have to say the Bills OC is actually pretty bad, unfortunately.

Yeah? You think honestly think it falls in his lap when the four quarterbacks...FOUR...FOUR !@#$ING QUARTERBACKS...running his offense over the last 26 games are average on their best days?

Mostly because he gets his offensive marching orders from an exceptionally bad HC.

Right, unlike the defensive and special teams coordinators you never B word about who get their marching orders from...Russ? No wait, he sucks too. I don't know, I guess we are to assume that Marrone only handles the things about our team that sucks. That's what would need to happen for your assessment to be logical.

Yeah? You think honestly think it falls in his lap when the four quarterbacks...FOUR...FOUR !@#$ING QUARTERBACKS...running his offense over the last 26 games are average on their best days?

Right, unlike the defensive and special teams coordinators you never B word about who get their marching orders from...Russ? No wait, he sucks too. I don't know, I guess we are to assume that Marrone only handles the things about our team that sucks. That's what would need to happen for your assessment to be logical.

That was hyperbole not to be taken literally. But of course you come to the rescue even though we have been Marroned. :lol: Promo can't be too far behind you with his defense. B-)

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

No, he's winning because he's an exceptionally good coach.

We don't have one of those.

Nor do we have an exceptionally bad coach, as 90% of the 'fans' here would have you believe.

Right - we have the fitz, or KO of coaches. Good enough to keep a team competitive but without everything around them perfect you aren't consistently in the hunt. Unfortunately that's bith our HC and qb right now so we are a .500 crew

Right - we have the fitz, or KO of coaches. Good enough to keep a team competitive but without everything around them perfect you aren't consistently in the hunt. Unfortunately that's bith our HC and qb right now so we are a .500 crew

And yet to make that point you've highlighted the sub-par talent they have at the most important position. Show me the coaches that win with quarterbacks as bad or worse than ours, please. And try not to stretch too far to tell me the situation in Arizona is analogous, please.

Um, Marrone has an offensive background. If he was a defensive coach like Rex Ryan, he would get more credit. He's a major reason for using 4 Qbs. He bailed on the guy he drafted in the 1st round after 4 games for a career mediocre qb. That's all on him.

He deserves a ton of blame for that. The best part of the team, defense, he has little to do with but hire the DC. I guess he gets some credit.

And yet to make that point you've highlighted the sub-par talent they have at the most important position. Show me the coaches that win with quarterbacks as bad or worse than ours, please. And try not to stretch too far to tell me the situation in Arizona is analogous, please.

You don't think the head coach with an offensive background has a huge say in the Qbs????

And Cleveland's situation at qb is very similar.