Who do you WANT as the Bills coach in 2015?

Kirby Jackson

Bills Head Coach 2015  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT as the Bills Head Coach in 2015? (if you select other please indicate your choice in the comments)

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

College game is definitely influencing the pro game more than the other way around.

With that said, college coaches are not all wired to succeed at the pro level, I think Chip Kelly is making the adjustment necessary, but he still has issues with some players -- Harbaugh's issues have been well publicized --- I think, in the end, players adjust when they have respect for winning and HC's that know how to create winners --- I think that's Marrone's ultimate downfall -- players spot a phony and I think in the end, his talent doesn't match his rhetoric

and what happens when you keep putting crap players on the field? its not going to work in any sense. Just like it isn't working to any great degree in Buffalo now.

Plus, I still say its a completely different world from amateur college players to the NFL with highly paid professionals. I don't trust any college coaches anymore, not after Marrone.

then you need to stop and look at how Malzahn is doing his winning in 2013 which is 72% running. That isn't going to cut it in the NFL, as its a passing league. Then his defense is very questionable. He also has a problem with discipline, as his team 61 penalties with 612 yards ranks Auburn DEAD LAST in the SEC in penalties.

I'd rather take the safer route with a known NFL commodity then another unknown again! Man, i so desperately want to see this team have a winning season, and then the playoffs. no more maybes!

I think that much like Kelly his system will work with mediocre talent. Kelly is winning with Nick Foles and Mark Sanchez. It is about creating mismatches and that is what he does best. That is my biggest fear with the guys out of the league. The technology and analytics have changed the game so, so much.

Don't be scared off because Marrone hasn't been good. It's not where he coached previously that is leading to his struggles it is what he believes in. The punt at the 45 with 9 minutes to go is the best example. That conservative nature is DEAD (which is why I think that Cowher will be a disaster). You are either attacking or being attacked. Marrone's teams rarely dictate on offense, they react.

In addition to his philosophy his personality is a problem. He is stubborn. He would rather be wrong than have someone say "I told you so."

The league is just a so much different now. Analytics and technology have changed the game. The game is won and lost before the ball is snapped. It is less about "leading men" and more about what position you put your guys and their guys in. The talent pool is fairly close across much of the league. The Bills are certainly in the top half of the team in overall talent. They need someone that will be able to maximize those talent gaps and expose mismatches. The offensive coaching staff has failed miserably at that.

College game is definitely influencing the pro game more than the other way around.

With that said, college coaches are not all wired to succeed at the pro level, I think Chip Kelly is making the adjustment necessary, but he still has issues with some players -- Harbaugh's issues have been well publicized --- I think, in the end, players adjust when they have respect for winning and HC's that know how to create winners --- I think that's Marrone's ultimate downfall -- players spot a phony and I think in the end, his talent doesn't match his rhetoric

I'm buying this. Harbaugh and Kelly both have strong personalities too (kind of like Belicheck). Carroll is the opposite. I think that Briles is closer to Carroll and Malzahn closer to Kelly on the personality scale. Each has proven that they can win (which Marrone never had).

You are right on Marrone. Everything feels kind of fake and forced.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I think that much like Kelly his system will work with mediocre talent. Kelly is winning with Nick Foles and Mark Sanchez. It is about creating mismatches and that is what he does best. That is my biggest fear with the guys out of the league. The technology and analytics have changed the game so, so much.

Don't be scared off because Marrone hasn't been good. It's not where he coached previously that is leading to his struggles it is what he believes in. the punt at the 45 with 9 minutes to go is the best example. That conservative nature is DEAD (which is why I think that Cowher will be a disaster). You are either attacking or being attacked. Marrone's teams rarely dictate on offense, they react.

In addition to his philosophy his personality is a problem. He is stubborn. He would rather be wrong than have someone say "I told you so."

The league is just a so much different now. Analytics and technology have changed the game. The game is won and lost before the ball is snapped. It is less about "leading men" and more about what position you put your guys and their guys in. The talent pool is fairly close across much of the league. The Bills are certainly in the top half of the team in overall talent. They need someone that will be able to maximize those talent gaps and expose mismatches. The offensive coaching staff has failed miserably at that.

I'm buying this. Harbaugh and Kelly both have strong personalities too (kind of like Belicheck). Carroll is the opposite. I think that Briles is closer to Carroll and Malzahn closer to Kelly on the personality scale. Each has proven that they can win (which Marrone never had).

Since the beginning on faked/forced -- more like he was trying to figure out who he wanted to be, instead of just being who he is.

I haven't read the thread, but i will pass on harbaugh(he may be more stubborn than marrone).

My vote is(like the past two years) for Jim Tomsula DL coach SF 49ers

I don't think marrone is out maybe hackett or pat morris

Edited by bills chin

I like the warm and fuzzy idea of Frank Reich. However, it should be noted he is also very conservative in his play calling.

I am good with the dink and dunk plays he uses because YAC are there to pick up. With Sammy Watkins it will happen. Hackett is doing it but with Hogan as the screen guy.

How about Schwartz as HC, Rex Ryan as DC, Reich as OC?

I think Reich may be a goat in S.D. and might be able to leave if not shown the door.

Don't be scared off because Marrone hasn't been good. It's not where he coached previously that is leading to his struggles it is what he believes in. The punt at the 45 with 9 minutes to go is the best example. That conservative nature is DEAD (which is why I think that Cowher will be a disaster). You are either attacking or being attacked. Marrone's teams rarely dictate on offense, they react.

No offense, but you seem so dead set on Malzahn you didn't even read what I posted about his problems at Auburn. Can't see the forest for the trees...

you need to stop and look at how Malzahn is doing his winning in 2013 which is 72% running. That isn't going to cut it in the NFL, as its a passing league. Then his defense is very questionable. He also has a problem with discipline, as his team 61 penalties with 612 yards ranks Auburn DEAD LAST in the SEC in penalties.

Its not just a question about whether a power run game out of a spread offense will work in the NFL on a full time basis. Its about player personnel like Pears at RG. Its about properly evaluating talent, drafting players in the first round that will actually perform on the field like they are first round picks. Its also about discipline, and not committing costly errors-penalties.

To me Its about a quality known commodity. no more guessing!

I am good with the dink and dunk plays he uses because YAC are there to pick up. With Sammy Watkins it will happen. Hackett is doing it but with Hogan as the screen guy.

How about Schwartz as HC, Rex Ryan as DC, Reich as OC?

I think Reich may be a goat in S.D. and might be able to leave if not shown the door.

the fans don't like Reich but he's a favorite of the GM. I think he will get time. If he wants to leave that's another story, but guessing he would stay with a franchise QB if given the choice. If offered a HC job that would be a bigger decision.

I like the warm and fuzzy idea of Frank Reich. However, it should be noted he is also very conservative in his play calling.

I know the whole going east thing...but with a superior QB Chargers got skunked at Miami, we at least got 9 pts.

Speaking of which, who is the DC for Miami. If i recall correctly, the Chargers marched right down the field first drive against Miami, then adjustments were made, and Chargers never threatened again.

Last night, our first two drives moved the ball...then complete shutdown. HMMMMMMMM

Edited by plenzmd1

No offense, but you seem so dead set on Malzahn you didn't even read what I posted about his problems at Auburn. Can't see the forest for the trees...

Its not just a question about whether a power run game out of a spread offense will work in the NFL on a full time basis. Its about player personnel like Pears at RG. Its about properly evaluating talent, drafting players in the first round that will actually perform on the field like they are first round picks. Its also about discipline, and not committing costly errors-penalties.

To me Its about a quality known commodity. no more guessing!

Not at all. I think that there are other good options but happen to think that he is the best. Chip Kelly's last college team ran the ball 65% of the time. It is a totally, totally different type of running game. It is predicated on reading a defender.

Here is a great breakdown of his offense: http://grantland.com/features/gus-malzahn-offensive-evolution/.

Not at all. I think that there are other good options but happen to think that he is the best. Chip Kelly's last college team ran the ball 65% of the time. It is a totally, totally different type of running game. It is predicated on reading a defender.

Here is a great breakdown of his offense: http://grantland.com...ive-evolution/.

See that's what I want, and it's the biggest reason I like Art Briles.

A guy that brings creativity to offense. This isn't, IMO, a passing league per se--it's a league where offenses need to be creative. Seattle didn't win games on passing or running specifically--they won games on aggressive play-calling and finding new ways to get the ball into the hands of guys that can make plays. Wilson wasn't fantastic, their OL was terrible, their WRs were ordinary, but they put up points.

I feel pretty good about this ownership group encouraging this type of hire...we shall see...

Here is a great breakdown of his offense: http://grantland.com...ive-evolution/.

Kirby, while I literally love the idea of a power run game out of a spread offense, and there is no question that Malzahn would build a good offense. This could easily end up like the Gailey debacle if Schwartz decides he doesn't care to work under a college coach. Plus, we don't know who he wants for assistants, as non NFL assistants will take time to train, and develop. Then there is simply so much to consider in the process of building a successful NFL team as a head coach.

Pete Carroll didn't get it right on his first two attempts as an NFL HC. Neither did Nick Saban who worked under Belichick, or Marrone who worked under Sean Payton. Even future HoF HC Bill Belichick in his first stint as HC of the Browns, and he had years of past experience as a DC under legend Bill Parcells.

I want to see a winning team, and I want it asap. Not in three to five years as someone new to the NFL learns the ropes.

See that's what I want, and it's the biggest reason I like Art Briles.

A guy that brings creativity to offense. This isn't, IMO, a passing league per se--it's a league where offenses need to be creative. Seattle didn't win games on passing or running specifically--they won games on aggressive play-calling and finding new ways to get the ball into the hands of guys that can make plays. Wilson wasn't fantastic, their OL was terrible, their WRs were ordinary, but they put up points.

I feel pretty good about this ownership group encouraging this type of hire...we shall see...

Since we're throwing down style articles, here's a great one on Art Briles' offense at Baylor:

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2013/5/22/4351446/Baylor-bears-football-art-briles-lache-seastrunk-spread-offense

Kirby, while I literally love the idea of a power run game out of a spread offense, and there is no question that Malzahn would build a good offense. This could easily end up like the Gailey debacle if Schwartz decides he doesn't care to work under a college coach. Plus, we don't know who he wants for assistants, as non NFL assistants will take time to train, and develop. Then there is simply so much to consider in the process of building a successful NFL team as a head coach.

Pete Carroll didn't get it right on his first two attempts as an NFL HC. Neither did Nick Saban who worked under Belichick, or Marrone who worked under Sean Payton. Even future HoF HC Bill Belichick in his first stint as HC of the Browns, and he had years of past experience as a DC under legend Bill Parcells.

I want to see a winning team, and I want it asap. Not in three to five years as someone new to the NFL learns the ropes.

If Marrone goes I doubt Schwartz stays unless he is the HC. The only way that he does is with a big raise.

I don't know why you think that it will take 3-5 years? Those guys (Malzahb & Briles) won immediately everywhere. Where we disagree is that I don't need to see someone has done it to believe that he can. I just need to see his skills.