Marrone Promised to be Innovative

26CornerBlitz

Buffalo Bills head coach Doug Marrone meets the press: http://www.nfl.com/n...meets-the-press

Who remembers his presser on the day he was hired? His offense is an abject failure.

The Bills announced the start of an analytics department last week. Despite Bill Polian's insistence that "Moneyball" won't work in the NFL, Marrone made it clear it will be an integral part of the team.

"We've used quite a bit of it in when we were in New Orleans when we were there. We want to be innovative," Marrone said. "We want to use that to be in the cutting edge and push us forward. So again, it's part of what we do. It's part of our planning; it's part of our process."

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

:(

I am really sad. I know we all are but I truly bought into this guy and his decisions.

I remember all this talk of up tempo offense, analytics, Chip Kelly lite....

It all could not be more wrong

It wasn't just talk. It lasted all of ... one game. Or was it 2. Manuel came out with that ultra fast-paced no huddle at the start of 2013 and Hackett abandoned it immediately. Part of success in the NFL is having a concept, being confident that it will work, and sticking with it until the players perfect playing in it. I guess we've now proved that Sean Payton was 100% responsible for the Saints offense.

geez if the'd just sprung for that fancy macbook pro for the analytics guy.

The analytics guys would be the last to blame. According to the PFF types, Colin Brown was the worst guard in the NFL last year, and he started how many games? Cyril Richardson was the worst this year if you don't count Pears. I'm sure the Bills internal analytics guys provide similar stats. And the coaching staff does nothing, or does nothing until it's too late.

if he was refering to the use of analytics to help drive personnel decisions, it's failed him on the O-line - the most important ingredient in building an offense.

if he was referring to their style of play, i don't think his offense is fooling anyone.

you don't need to be innovative.

you need to block and tackle.

we've been bad at both.

I get a kick out of this part,

1. The Bills announced the start of an analytics department last week. Despite Bill Polian's insistence that "Moneyball" won't work in the NFL, Marrone made it clear it will be an integral part of the team

This is probably Russ Brandon still trying to save the owner some money. To carry that over onto this year was not only foolish, it was downright stupid. This is probably the entire reason for the unbelievably bad OG situation

The O line guru who is about as much a guru as Chan Gailey was a QB Guru.

Man 0 man, I hope Pegula can lure "the Chin" out of retirement with an offer of 8 mill per. I'm so sick of these wannabe head coaches, and the scrubs they hire for assistants

Was that the one where he said he'd hire solid coaches with NFL experience?

Yep.

2. Marrone said he would look for coordinators with "thorough" NFL experience. He would not pick coordinators who strictly come from the college game, and he will not call plays offensively.

I liked the hire initially and I expected Marrone was going to bring a different culture and a fresh look to the team. But that hasn't happened. He completely lost me last night with the call to punt on 4th and 6 from the Miami 47 with 9:50 left trailing 19-9. At some point you need to be aggressive and take a risk.

I'm 100% certain that Pegula is not going to 'cheap it' with the coaching search and selection process. So there's reason for optimism although that does nothing for us this season. We still have to suffer 6 more games of this crew. TP & KP won't make the same mistake here he did with the Sabres by letting the coach and GM hang around too long. We'll get somebody competent and good next season. A coach that can get more out of this same bunch. This team does not need a total rebuild, more like a re-load. We need a long-term solution at QB for sure. While I believe the HQ is a goner I'm not clear yet on the GM and the rest of the personnel guys..

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

I dont know why, but Marrone made a conscious decision this year to be a surly, pain in da ass Bill Belichick clone.

Just a totally different guy from last year in attitude and demeanor. Problem is it is not him, and if not genuine it just does not work.

I too cannot believe how optimistic i was at that Opener last year against the Pats..yea we lost but i loved the pace, loved the no huddle, thought EJ would only get better in that system.

Then to see him become the avoid a mistake at any cost coach , who coached all the confidence out of EJ...

I am confident he is like a spoiled child now that will change his stance on 4th downs just cause he has to be proven smarter then the dumb media and the Idiot fans.

He gotta go, and i really, really liked him coming into this year

Edited by plenzmd1

I'm 100% certain that Pegula is not going to 'cheap it' with the coaching search and selection process

Why does everyone keep saying this? His two coaching hires with the Sabres are Rolston and Nolan. Not exactly the who's who of available coaches.