Marrone Promised to be Innovative

26CornerBlitz

Dolphins 22, Bills 9: five observations from Buffalo's Week 11 loss - http://www.buffaloru...on-doug-marrone

No. 5: When the Bills introduced Doug Marrone as their new head coach in a January, 2013 press conference, they billed him as an old-school coach with a new-school approach: a blue-collar, throwback personality that would run a modern, tempo-based offense and use analytics to be on the cutting edge of the way the game is coached. 26 games into his Bills career, the Bills are 11-15 under Marrone, who made several more ultra-conservative situational calls on Thursday night that, taken as a whole, make him seem like the antithesis of cutting edge and analytical. The only thing modern about Marrone's tenure in Buffalo to this point was the packaged-play, up-tempo offense that he and Nathaniel Hackett brought with them from Syracuse - and the tempo aspects of that had been nearly completely abandoned by the end of his first season. I think I'm done with Marrone, you guys. It's just a matter of time before we're being sold on the merits of the next Bills head coach, in my opinion.

I dont know why, but Marrone made a conscious decision this year to be a surly, pain in da ass Bill Belichick clone.

Just a totally different guy from last year in attitude and demeanor. Problem is it is not him, and if not genuine it just does not work.

I too cannot believe how optimistic i was at that Opener last year against the Pats..yea we lost but i loved the pace, loved the no huddle, thought EJ would only get better in that system.

Then to see him become the avoid a mistake at any cost coach , who coached all the confidence out of EJ...

I am confident he is like a spoiled child now that will change his stance on 4th downs just cause he has to be proven smarter then the dumb media and the Idiot fans.

He gotta go, and i really, really liked him coming into this year

I also bought into Marrone when they hired him, he appeared to have the right attitude coming from college to here. Even after that opening day loss to the Patriots last year, I thought that we might have something to build on.

Then after all the moves during free agency and the draft this year, I honestly believed that the Bills could end the playoff drought.

It is not unreasonable to think that a team with all the talent the Bills have, that they cannot compete for a wildcard.

But it is painfully obvious that Marrone is clearly in over his head.

Just take a look at the expression on his face during the game. He looks lost and bored.

Another head coaching mistake by the Bills.

Marrone is a clueless and gutless dinosaur. He has to be jettisoned. What a line of coaches in Williams, Mularkey, Jauron, Gailey, and now Meathead Marrone! No more!

You nailed it 26.

Meathead Marrone. i like it.

I was bought in with him but have been scratching my head more and more with his decisions. The really sad thing is Gary Kubiak was available earlier and we would have an innovative offensive coordinator with tons of experience. Marrone would have surrounded himself with two DC's and now an OC which could have helped this team improve.

I still like Whaley, but at the least Hackett is gone, and possibly marrone. I hate blowing up this team every two to three years as it is not a winning philosophy, but he does not show me can make good decisions when it matters.

Marrone said he would be innovative just like he said he would hire coordinators with thorough NFL experience. Less than 24 hours later he hired Hackett who's highest NFL coaching title was quality control.

Then there's the insistence of running an up tempo no huddle offense with a raw rookie as his starter. A year later the no huddle up tempo stuff was scrapped because it wasn't what was best for our personnel. It's not like our offense was completely revamped. I mean, we added a couple of new players but majority of the offense is still the same from last year. Now all of a sudden it doesn't fit with our personnel?

Then there's the whole o-like getting worse the moment he takes over. Urbik was benched and left to rot on the sidelines despite our interior play being one of the worst I've ever seen.

Then we have Mike Williams, a legitimate redzone threat not being able to see the field despite our terrible redzone offense.

Then there's this need to run Spiller up the middle all the time and not run anything that gets him in space.

Then there's the fact that he told the media he hadn't considered putting Orton in the Houston game. The next morning EJ was benched and Orton was our starter.

Then there's using Watkins as a decoy against the Patriots.

I can't do it anymore with this clown of a HC. I want him gone. The guy just comes across like a clueless liar whose credibility should be questioned.

Big, dumb bullies aren't usually innovative because they're used to just beating the crap out of you.

Mike Schopp - much as I despise him - got it right on air yesterday when he blamed Russ Brandon for promising to bring home a head coach who would be innovative, cutting edge smart, but instead brought home this dumb bully.

Shows how little Brandon knows about football or character.

Big, dumb bullies aren't usually innovative because they're used to just beating the crap out of you.

Mike Schopp - much as I despise him - got it right on air yesterday when he blamed Russ Brandon for promising to bring home a head coach who would be innovative, cutting edge smart, but instead brought home this dumb bully.

Shows how little Brandon knows about football or character.

That's right. Russ Brandon hasn't take alot of the heat for this mess, but it seems he deserves it.

2. Marrone said he would look for coordinators with "thorough" NFL experience. He would not pick coordinators who strictly come from the college game, and he will not call plays offensively.

It says this in the article linked, however it's not what I remember him saying. I didn't like the hire in large part because I didn't want a staff of college coaches. So I was keen to hear what he said about this in his initial press conference.

So when asked about assistants I remember him saying good coaches can come from anywhere. He's seen really good coaches at the college and even high school level. And then he waffled about where his assistants would come from.

This told me college boy coaches and then Nate Hackett entered the picture.

Yep, Marrone should enjoy a nice honeymoon stage in Buffalo.

Honeymoon's way over LOL

@JoeBuscaglia

#Bills Marrone in response to questions on him being a conservative coach:

B2qu6oQIMAEWP3p.png

facepalm.gif

And then he went on to say he needs the offense to score 21 points to win. I wanted to point out to him that if the O scores 21 points we still would have lost the Fish game AND the Texans game.

Dougball = Dickball

Edited by reddogblitz

Marrone said he would be innovative just like he said he would hire coordinators with thorough NFL experience. Less than 24 hours later he hired Hackett who's highest NFL coaching title was quality control.

Then there's the insistence of running an up tempo no huddle offense with a raw rookie as his starter. A year later the no huddle up tempo stuff was scrapped because it wasn't what was best for our personnel. It's not like our offense was completely revamped. I mean, we added a couple of new players but majority of the offense is still the same from last year. Now all of a sudden it doesn't fit with our personnel?

Then there's the whole o-like getting worse the moment he takes over. Urbik was benched and left to rot on the sidelines despite our interior play being one of the worst I've ever seen.

Then we have Mike Williams, a legitimate redzone threat not being able to see the field despite our terrible redzone offense.

Then there's this need to run Spiller up the middle all the time and not run anything that gets him in space.

Then there's the fact that he told the media he hadn't considered putting Orton in the Houston game. The next morning EJ was benched and Orton was our starter.

Then there's using Watkins as a decoy against the Patriots.

I can't do it anymore with this clown of a HC. I want him gone. The guy just comes across like a clueless liar whose credibility should be questioned.

Totally agree!