What show to start?

The Underdog

I didn't search this thread but has anyone started the Stephen King miniseries on Hulu of his 11.22.63 novel? I really enjoyed the book. James Franco stars and J.J. Abrams is involved as a producer. 8-part series; not sure if all episodes are available yet or they are being released one at a time.

Edited by eball

Vinyl on HBO seems pretty solid. Ray Romano as the number 2 guy is awesome. Bobby Cannavale's been cash money since showing up as Gyp Rosetti on boardwalk empire.

Some are calling it the coked out rock and roll version of mad men.

I like Vinyl okay, though I thought the murder thing was a little unnecessary. But, HBO (and most of America, myself included) loves their mobster stories!

It is getting ripped pretty mercilessly by a lot of people. Cannavale is great...a lot to like about this show, though I am hoping it learns the art of subtly the longer it goes on.

Edited by Buftex

I am enjoying Transparent, it's interesting, however I think the portrayal of the lesbians and the jewish family are very contrived, way over the top, but I am 6 episodes in and am enjoying it very much.

I started that show with no idea what it was about and was shocked. I also recommend Prime members checkout Schitt$ Creek.

I didn't search this thread but has anyone started the Stephen King miniseries on Hulu of his 11.22.63 novel? I really enjoyed the book. James Franco stars and J.J. Abrams is involved as a producer. 8-part series; not sure if all episodes are available yet or they are being released one at a time.

I didn't know they were doing one. I'll watch since I liked the book, but I have very low expectations. The Dome wasn't one of King's best books by a long shot, but the Hulu series was absolutely horrible.

Outside of a very few, SK books have a long history of TV/Movie failure.

EDIT: After I wrote that I was trying to think of different SK movies and I started remembering more good ones than I initially remembered, so I looked up a list online. Actually quite a few good ones (though still more bad ones). I'll stand by the TV statement though. Almost none of the series stuff worked out.

Edited by Acantha

I didn't know they were doing one. I'll watch since I liked the book, but I have very low expectations. The Dome wasn't one of King's best books by a long shot, but the Hulu series was absolutely horrible.

EDIT: After I wrote that I was trying to think of different SK movies and I started remembering more good ones than I initially remembered, so I looked up a list online. Actually quite a few good ones (though still more bad ones). I'll stand by the TV statement though. Almost none of the series stuff worked out.

The Stand was the best

CBF

I'm encouraged because of JJ Abrams' involvement, and I think the actual story was one of King's most interesting. I'll give it a shot.

Girls is pretty good this season. Wish they would kill Hannah off though. She's tha worst.

On and off screen.

I haven't caught any of this season as the preview didn't looked promising if it's true Marni's getting married. I might binge watch it to catch up. I agree Hannah's the worst of the girls in the show but being she's creator/director/writer/everything she's never getting killed off.

I like Vinyl okay, though I thought the murder thing was a little unnecessary. But, HBO (and most of America, myself included) loves their mobster stories!

It is getting ripped pretty mercilessly by a lot of people. Cannavale is great...a lot to like about this show, though I am hoping it learns the art of subtly the longer it goes on.

yeah how is vinyl? Saw the commercial for it, is it fiction or based on a band?

Just finished Bloodline. A little too much drama at a few points between the two main characters, but on balance a very good show... set in Islamorada, FL. Thirteen episodes and a second season in the works so I've heard.

I'm encouraged because of JJ Abrams' involvement, and I think the actual story was one of King's most interesting. I'll give it a shot.

I watched the first two episodes this weekend. The production quality is well above the standard Stephen King mini-series, and the acting is has been pretty good. They're trying to beef up the mysterious stuff a little more than the book did, which I really don't think is necessary. They went WAY overboard with that in the Dome and along with the horrible acting and scripts, it ended up a mess.

The really disappointing thing is that they are completely glossing over the "being in the past" part of the time travel thing, which is what I expected to happen. There's just been too many time travel TV shows/movies. The really good thing about the book was the exploration of the extreme differences between the past and present (which was a really perfect niche for SK since he's so long winded in his character and environment build). Outside of "wow, this apple pie is amazing" they just basically ignored all of that, which IMO was probably the point of about 80% of the book.

Anyway, it will probably end up being a pretty good watch overall; I just need to adjust my expectations.