The FXFL: How did we not hear about this?

I had to learn about them on the Colbert Report, and their season is half over already.

http://www.fxfl.com/

Four teams stocked with players cut from NFL camps. (Taj Boyd plays for Boston.) Designed to keep players sharp and available for the NFL. Games are played on Wednesdays and Fridays and streamed on ESPN3. I wonder if Doug Whaley knows about them and do they have any serviceable guards?

BTW the "Blacktips" franchise is homeless, playing all games on the road. Would you follow a team like this in Buffalo? Or how about Rochester? They would be great at Sahlen's Stadium. Can Terry Pegula own a team in the NHL, NFL, AHL, MLL and FXFL?

I had to learn about them on the Colbert Report, and their season is half over already.

Four teams stocked with players cut from NFL camps. (Taj Boyd plays for Boston.) Designed to keep players sharp and available for the NFL. Games are played on Wednesdays and Fridays and streamed on ESPN3. I wonder if Doug Whaley knows about them and do they have any serviceable guards?

BTW the "Blacktips" franchise is homeless, playing all games on the road. Would you follow a team like this in Buffalo? Or how about Rochester? They would be great at Sahlen's Stadium. Can Terry Pegula own a team in the NHL, NFL, AHL, MLL and FXFL?

> BTW the "Blacktips" franchise is homeless, playing all games on the road.

I went to this portion of their website, and saw what you mean. There is a map of the United States. The logo for their Boston team is in Massachusetts. The logo for their Brooklyn team is in New York State; and the logo for their Omaha team is in Nebraska. The Blacktips have a shark-themed logo; and that logo is located somewhere in the Atlantic.

So glad someone brought this question up right away before our heart was almost broken like it was when it was learned that he also owned an NHL team and our hopes were almost lost.

But yeah, I was watching this league on TV the other night. It was late night on some local sports channel. It might do better if it was during the NFL offseason, and they'd get some decent TV ratings from people who just want to watch some football, as opposed to the Arena Football League. But they did it this way so that a player can be cut from the NFL/Practice Squad and immedietly go play somewhere.

To add to my previous post: I have the following mental image of what a Blacktips home game would be like. 48 hours before the game, a small freighter would appear, about 300 miles east of the North Carolina Atlantic coast. The crew would unpack an inflatable football field, and would begin inflating. Once it had some air in it, they'd toss it over the side, so that it would have the space to complete the inflation process in the water.

The next step would be the lights. These lights would be mounted on tall poles, with flotation devices on the bottom. Ropes would be used to attach the poles to each other. (Help prevent them from falling down.) To prevent the poles from falling inward, each corner light pole would have a small motorboat tugging it outward. That outward pressure would be sufficient to keep tension on the ropes, thereby keeping the whole lighting system in place. A diesel generator on board the freighter would supply power for the lights.

An hour or two before kickoff, a large cruise ship would arrive. It would stretch almost from end zone to end zone. Across the field from that, there would be bleachers--bleachers mounted on flotation devices. They'd rock back and forth in the waves. (The same would also be true of the lights, and of the floating football field itself.) Around each end zone, there would be a congregation of smaller vessels. Most of these would be larger than motorboats, but much smaller than that monster cruise ship. Food vendors would arrive on additional boats. There might even be a floating restaurant.

Prior to the game, the Blacktips' coach would exhort his players to defend this particular patch of water against the invasion of the other team. "This is our 50 square mile patch of the North Atlantic! No one is taking it from us!"

Around halftime, an overzealous Blacktips' fan would throw a large black tip shark onto the field. This fan had showed up early, and had immediately started fishing in hopes of catching exactly this kind of shark. After flopping around on the field for a while, the shark would make its way back into the water. The stadium would be rocking. Literally rocking, due to the action of the waves.

To add to my previous post: I have the following mental image of what a Blacktips home game would be like.<snip>

Brilliant and very well done!

Unfortunately I wasn't able to make the Brawlers' home opener here in Boston, and won't be able to make their last home game either. I think they just have the 2. If this league still exists next year, I'll probably go check it out.

More appropriate for maybe McQuaid's field.

Anyway, I wonder if the FXFL knows about Jordan Palmer's sweet footwork?