SB Nation: It took Kyle Orton 10 years,but he finally found his way

YoloinOhio

Orton has been a revelation. He has been what Alex Smith was to KC last year. A smart, leader who took his lumps early in his career. He has all of the physical (and mental) tools to play the position. We are very fortunate to have him. I for one thought that he would be a stopgap until they could get someone (like Bradford) next year to play the position.

If KO plays like this the 2nd half of the season I would expect him to be the QB of this team for the next 4-5 years. If you extrapolate his numbers over the course of the season you are talking a 67.4% completion percentage, 4512 yards, 36 TDs and 12 INTs with a 104 rating. That would be the highest completion %, most yards and most TDs a Bills QB has ever had in a season.

Couldn't agree more. Gotta love the guy!

You know how upset I'll be if Orton gets injured because this staff went forward with the same scrubs on that line, and no solid depth to boot.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The way Orton sees it, after all of the tangled tests of his career, what is left of it is too short and too important to waste on dallying. He is direct and he is blunt in his goals and play on and off the field."

I like this line. Brings to mind his blunt answer to Sully about the "crap question" he asked him. I think he knows he hopped aboard the Bills bus just as the ol' karmic wheel was finally starting to turn upwards, and he intends to make the most of the opportunity. Let's hope he can help write one of the best stories in the NFL over the next few years.

Orton has been a revelation. He has been what Alex Smith was to KC last year. A smart, leader who took his lumps early in his career. He has all of the physical (and mental) tools to play the position. We are very fortunate to have him. I for one thought that he would be a stopgap until they could get someone (like Bradford) next year to play the position.

If KO plays like this the 2nd half of the season I would expect him to be the QB of this team for the next 4-5 years. If you extrapolate his numbers over the course of the season you are talking a 67.4% completion percentage, 4512 yards, 36 TDs and 12 INTs with a 104 rating. That would be the highest completion %, most yards and most TDs a Bills QB has ever had in a season.

Wow, Kirby Jackson! 4-5 years? I love how Orton has played for us, and if he continues to have this type of success I'm sure the Bills will keep him. I just don't see him being here that long.

Eventually the Bills will want to go with Manuel again.

Telling quote for me:

Manuel added: "People may see what he is doing on the field right now but they don't see his approach. The way he speaks to the offensive coordinator (Nathaniel Hackett), the way he talks to everybody in the quarterback room, the way he talks to all of the offensive players. He lets you know what he expects. No, he demands it. It has become a collective thing. Kyle will go through all of the plays with the coaches during the week and be very clear about 'I like that' or 'I don't like that.' I'm watching. I'm learning. Every practice. Every play in every game. I'm always prepared if my number is called. But I am definitely learning how to do some things by watching him.''

Says to me that EJ has/had a few things to learn about what it takes to make it in the NFL. I'm not saying this to knock him; he's a good kid and a hard worker. I'm merely saying that EJ may not have learned this type of thing without a veteran who knows what it takes to be successful in the NFL and is willing to lead by example. Whether or not that ever helps EJ on the field, who knows?

"I knew I had to play well,'' Orton said. "I had to play smart. I don't know everything, but I've been around. When you are a young quarterback, it's all big. You think you know how to prepare, but you really don't know how to prepare. I'm excited about where we are going.'

Again its being missed, I dont' give a damn how good a kid EJ is, I don't care how much he wants to learn, how hard he works bottom line....he will never have it! Christ folks, the kids brain just can not process info fast enough and it NEVER has. The knocks on him coming out of HS And College is he cant' read a defense, slow eyes, etc. Great kid, love how hard he WANTS to be a QB, but want isn't going to get it done. My fear is we spend 2 years making the playoffs with Orton then waste 5 more showing EJ doesn't have it even after sitting for 2 years.

Cut bait with EJ this offseason, admit and realize it was a bad draft choice and move on

Wow, Kirby Jackson! 4-5 years? I love how Orton has played for us, and if he continues to have this type of success I'm sure the Bills will keep him. I just don't see him being here that long.

Which will show further how inept this front office is. Park the Ego, admit the mistake, cut him and move on

I don't see it. Orton is only 31 (32 in a couple of weeks). I could see him still being effective at 35-36.

EJ has had a chance with the same guys and it has been night and day. They are certainly not going to just go back to him to go back to him. When Orton's time is up (whenever it is) at best EJ will be competing with someone else (no idea whom) for the starting job.

IF orton gets us to a winning record and/or playoffs... I can see an extension so that he doesn't opt out, but also drafting a QB in the mid rounds. EJ is the backup and you develop the new guy for the future. Maybe EJ can be a starter again, but I don't see that happening unless he is forced into action due to injury and surprises everyone by having improved significantly. I can't see him winning the job in TC.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Again its being missed, I dont' give a damn how good a kid EJ is, I don't care how much he wants to learn, how hard he works bottom line....he will never have it! Christ folks, the kids brain just can not process info fast enough and it NEVER has. The knocks on him coming out of HS And College is he cant' read a defense, slow eyes, etc. Great kid, love how hard he WANTS to be a QB, but want isn't going to get it done. My fear is we spend 2 years making the playoffs with Orton then waste 5 more showing EJ doesn't have it even after sitting for 2 years.

Cut bait with EJ this offseason, admit and realize it was a bad draft choice and move on

Which will show further how inept this front office is. Park the Ego, admit the mistake, cut him and move on

yep and yep!

I really liked the comments from EJ. He is benefitting from having a vet QB there. Last year, it was the blind leading the blind.

Exactly. And this is exactly why rookie QB's can learn so much from sitting behind a veteran for a year or two.

IF orton gets us to a winning record and/or playoffs... I can see an extension so that he doesn't opt out, but also drafting a QB in the mid rounds. EJ is the backup and you develop the new guy for the future. Maybe EJ can be a starter again, but I don't see that happening unless he is forced into action due to injury and surprises everyone by having improved significantly. I can't see him winning the job in TC.

I could see drafting a QB in the 2nd if one the Bills likes falls there. That QB and EJ competing for the backup spot.

I don't see it. Orton is only 31 (32 in a couple of weeks). I could see him still being effective at 35-36.

EJ has had a chance with the same guys and it has been night and day. They are certainly not going to just go back to him to go back to him. When Orton's time is up (whenever it is) at best EJ will be competing with someone else (no idea whom) for the starting job.

I agree with this. Orton easily could play another 5-6 years. Plus, he has not started his entire career, so he is not as beat-up as some QB's. QB's are now lasting into their late 30's.

You can't devalue EJ because he doesn't have the 10 years of NFL experience behind him. EJ is learning more from Orton on how to be a successful QB then he is from the coaches.

I also could see Orton with the Bills for 3-5 years if they start putting a higher value on him by doing a better job of protecting him. It still boggles my mind in thinking that this team is still trying to get by with scrubs at OG, and the situation was even worse for EJ.

When Bill Walsh stated it generally takes 3-4 years to develop a QB in the NFL. He was generalizing as sometimes it takes more then four years. Just look at guys like Fitz, Rich Gannon, and now Orton.

You can't devalue EJ because he doesn't have the 10 years of NFL experience behind him. EJ is learning more from Orton on how to be a successful QB then he is from the coaches.

I also could see Orton with the Bills for 3-5 years if they start putting a higher value on him by doing a better job of protecting him. It still boggles my mind in thinking that this team is still trying to get by with scrubs at OG, and the situation was even worse for EJ.

When Bill Walsh stated it generally takes 3-4 years to develop a QB in the NFL. He was generalizing as sometimes it takes more then four years. Just look at guys like Fitz, Rich Gannon, and now Orton.

the offensive line is offensive. It definitely needs to be addressed in the draft.

l think people are getting a little ahead of themselves. I'm as excited about our recent success as anyone but the 2nd half is going to be tough. l Hope the Oline gels and we dominate and are the Cinderella story of century. Orton is under contract next year too so we don't need talk extention till then. I can't uderstand how people are sure that EJ can't develop after 2 -3 years of watching Orton. He absolutely can. I'm not saying he will but it would be silly and irresponsible to cut bait in him now. Just like, it would silly and irresponsible to not have another option on the team in case he doesn't.

I dunno, it's only been a few games. A few years ago everyone thought Ryan Fitzpatrick had finally found his way.

http://espn.go.com/n...es-new-contract

http://profootballta...ll-the-answers/

I don't know about anyone else, but I see Orton as "the best option right now" not "the answer".

We're still only 5-3, with some victories over a couple weak teams. Time will tell us if he's "the answer" or not, but for right now, he's our best option.

I think Whaley learned from this experience too. If you don't address the QB position -- nothing else really matters. When Tim Graham first reported this was a 2 year deal -- it was stated that the second year is a player option-- could Orton actually decline and try to leverage a good year into a longer term deal? The Bills may have an immediate decision to make on Orton.

Also, while I wouldn't go as far as cutting EJ this off-season but I wouldn't be afraid to bring in competition for EJ and Kyle (assuming the Bills retain him)-- either a draft pick or a vet. The market may be interesting based on cuts -- you could see names like Fitz, Schaub, Josh McNown, Sanchez and some younger guys on the market. You need and want 2 guys that can win games -- the Bills are not investing much in the position right now and there is no reason with the Bills cap space, even with a raise say to $7-8M a year for Orton, to stay static at the position.

Finally on EJ-- At FSU Jimbo planned around EJ's weaknesses (recognition, reads) and to his strengths. He coddled him in many ways. When EJ got to environment where coddling is not possible due to the speed of the game -- he needed time to see if he could adjust. The Bills had to throw him in right away. This is in many ways a sabbatical for EJ-- a semester as an understudy learning the pro game. There are physical things he may never be able to do but the Bills never gave him a chance to see someone who had both the mental and physical traits to succeed--he has that now--EJ deserves another chance in my opinion at some point to see if he can play. It will likely be next preseason....

I dunno, it's only been a few games. A few years ago everyone thought Ryan Fitzpatrick had finally found his way.

http://espn.go.com/n...es-new-contract

http://profootballta...ll-the-answers/

Yep. It's way too early to tell. But Orton does have a much better arm than Fitz. And he really seems to understand the QB position. He has a lot of intangibles to go along with his experience and arm. For all of Fitzy's smarts, he wasn't always football smart, and he, remarkably, repeatedly seemed to think his average arm was much stronger than it was, which got him into heaps of trouble and still does.

We are going to have to live with Orton's mistakes, because he will make them. But there is a decent chance he can have a few year stint playing the best he as ever played. He has a lot of weapons he never had, a very good arm, and a lot of leadership.

That was an excellent article, especially from SB Nation. They have seemed to turn the corner perhaps a lot like Orton.

Yep. It's way too early to tell. But Orton does have a much better arm than Fitz. And he really seems to understand the QB position. He has a lot of intangibles to go along with his experience and arm. For all of Fitzy's smarts, he wasn't always football smart, and he, remarkably, repeatedly seemed to think his average arm was much stronger than it was, which got him into heaps of trouble and still does.

We are going to have to live with Orton's mistakes, because he will make them. But there is a decent chance he can have a few year stint playing the best he as ever played. He has a lot of weapons he never had, a very good arm, and a lot of leadership.

That was an excellent article, especially from SB Nation. They have seemed to turn the corner perhaps a lot like Orton.

I love Fitz but he's more of the type to start slinging the ball around and creating too many turnovers. Conversely, he was able to avoid sacks better than Orton. They are comparable but Orton has better accuracy, thus far. And a better arm.