Fire Hackett

It's easy to look back now and simply say we won and leave it at that, but clearly things weren't that peachy on game day (on the offensive side):

Starting on page 21 or so:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/172506-bills-jets-first-half-thread/page__st__400

Starting on page 1:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/172508-2nd-half-thread-bills-jets/

Notice how 90% of the celebration by bills fans revolves around the D.

Predictability of play calling is the problem. Lack of creativity is the problem. NH is the problem.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a theory that at first, of course, Marrone and Whaley were totally on the same page on most things. It's an impossibility for any two guys, let alone guys at the top levels of the NFL with huge egos to agree on everything. but for the most part they liked each other, agreed for the most part on philosophy, and had a working partnership. Over time, of course they will eventually violently disagree on some stuff. It's inevitable.

Concurrently, I think that Whaley is 100% responsible for the draft picks and FA on the team, and building the roster, as a solid G should be, but that he has hours and hours of conversations, and talks with Marrone at length every single day about players and what each other thinks of them, as a personnel guy and as a coach. And my theory is, that the only position that Whaley acquiesces to Marrone is the OL. He throws Marrone that bone. Because there is zero chance in hell that Marrone thinks Whaley knows more about the abilities of OL players than Marrone does.

I'm not sure if that is true, but I feel strongly about it. It's hard for me to imagine Marrone thinking all these guys suck that Whaley is bringing in. It's easy for me to imagine that Marrone is bullheaded and says "I know I can do stuff with player A or player B."

And I like Marrone, for the most part.

I like him also, except for what he has done with that O line, for two years now. But then, I also liked Chan Gailey, and just dislike all the losing. It was Gailey's choices for his DC's that finally did him in, and it might be the same way with Marrone with his OC.

It's easy to look back now and simply say we won and leave it at that, but clearly things weren't that peachy on game day (on the offensive side):

Starting on page 21 or so:

http://forums.twobil...d/page__st__400

Starting on page 1:

http://forums.twobil...ead-bills-jets/

Notice how 90% of the celebration by bills fans revolves around the D.

Predictability of play calling is the problem. Lack of creativity is the problem. NH is the problem.

Sourcing this board as reliable? Hmph.

Doesn't Reich call SD's plays? SD is 9th in pts/game. We're not. Yes, they have Rivers.

He asked about our game, not the season. Your evasion is telling.

I like him also, except for what he has done with that O line, for two years now. But then, I also liked Chan Gailey, and just dislike all the losing. It was Gailey's choices for his DC's that finally did him in, and it might be the same way with Marrone with his OC.

Absolutely. And when Wanny's defense was clearly not working it was Gailey's duty as HC to step in, even if, like a lot of coaches he doesn't really mess with the side of the ball he is not the alleged guru of. That was Gailey's death knell. It's also what, IMO and a lot of others, kept the Bills from winning any of the Bills four SB appearances. Marv had a duty to get rid of Walt Corey after a few seasons of relative passive defenses that featured a Hall of Famer, several stars, and numerous solid starters and role players. But Marv was loyal to a fault and it burnt us bad.

But again, Marrone is just as guilty here. I think Hackett is carrying out his orders like Russ Brandon carried out Ralph's orders for a few years.

FWIW, when asked about the lack of the Bills running game on Sirius today, Pat Kirwan threw out the stat that the Bills average 4.8 yards per carry on first down, which puts them at like 8th in the league. He said we're actually not that far back and will another 100 or so yards we would be 4th in the league in rushing on first down.

So I know everyone hates the first down run, but bad news, it's working...

Do you guys think that San Diego fans called for McCoy's head after they ran the ball ineffectively over and over for 3 quarters with a lead against the Bills?

Right. We did to the Jets exactly what McCoy's Chargers offense did to us in Week 3. Take a look at the stats in that game:

Donald Brown, 31 carries, 62 yards. That's right, 2 yards per carry. Longest was 14 yards. We stuffed the run completely, just as much as the Jets stuffed our run. But McCoy said "Let EJ try to beat us, we are not about to beat ourselves." Rivers hit on a 49 yarder. The game felt like we could get back into it, but that was an illusion. It wasn't close. And neither was yesterday's game.

FWIW, when asked about the lack of the Bills running game on Sirius today, Pat Kirwan threw out the stat that the Bills average 4.8 yards per carry on first down, which puts them at like 8th in the league. He said we're actually not that far back and will another 100 or so yards we would be 4th in the league in rushing on first down.

That's not the narrative, though.

Yea, I mentioned that already. The Bills did quite good at times on first down. It was that second down run up the middle for no yards, or negative yards that screwed them. The defense knew it was coming every time, and yet...

What was Albert's definition of insanity. to keep doing the same thing over, and over and expecting different results?

Yea, I mentioned that already. The Bills did quite good at times on first down. It was that second down run up the middle for no yards, or negative yards that screwed them. The defense knew it was coming every time, and yet...

What was Albert's definition of insanity. to keep doing the same thing over, and over and expecting different results?

Actually no!

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/03/9-albert-einstein-quotes-that-are-totally-fake/

For those of you that support Hackett what is it that you like about the offense? The New England game plan was so frustrating. Anytime that you decide that you are going to use your best offensive player as a decoy I have an issue. I believe that you should do what you do best and what the flow of the game dictates. I thought that they should have went for the throat in the 1st half yesterday. They let a bad team, playing poorly hang around. With that being said I think that the red zone play calling has improved.

For those of you that support Hackett what is it that you like about the offense? The New England game plan was so frustrating. Anytime that you decide that you are going to use your best offensive player as a decoy I have an issue. I believe that you should do what you do best and what the flow of the game dictates. I thought that they should have went for the throat in the 1st half yesterday. They let a bad team, playing poorly hang around. With that being said I think that the red zone play calling has improved.

Is it that I support Hackett? Or is that I'd rather live in a world where Bills fans could find themselves chilling the !@#$ out and being satisfied 5-3 going into the bye with a 2-1 division record following a 20 point division win on the road where we've never won before?

Was this ever confirmed or just speculated?