Fire Hackett

Someone explain to me how the run game this year is Hackett's fault, when we were #2 overall last year. Someone? Anyone?

Easy. Bills had Gs in there last year who at least played the position in the NFL.

The Jets knew the Bills were going to run on certain plays and sometimes we did and sometimes we didn't. That's the idea. Look at the Lee Smith TD pass. Jets "knew" it was a run...until it wasn't.

That was the only play. In the postgame interview, Coples said that the Smith TD was the only unexpected thing the Bills did all day. Everything else, he said was very routine.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's chicken and the egg though. The plays called were not moving the football. Its okay to make a 1st down on 1st down. You don't need to get to 3rd down before converting.

The Bills had a chance to put the game away much earlier than they did. The opportunities were there and they didn't take advantage of them. You bring up 2 series in "crunch time." The whole point that I am trying to make is there should have never been a crunch time in this game.

Of course they should have put the game away. But would you have had them do differently?

You're implying that when they had the chance to put it away after turnovers, they made conservative play calls, is that accurate?

If yes, it's an implication that's not based in reality.

We had the chance to put the game in the first quarter and failed to do so, here's why.

Jets first possession: punt

We drive 64 yards for the TD. No complaints

Jets next possession: INT

We stall on a three and after pass attempts on second AND third down. The third down was 3 and 6. Hardly an unmanageable situation. That's poor execution.

Next Jets possession: INT

Again, here's another series for us to "put it away." And if you trusted what was in this thread, you'd think we ran it up the middle three times without affect. That's wrong. Again, we failed to convert on a third and 5. That's hardly setting ourselves up to fail.

Of course they should have put the game away. But would you have had them do differently?

You're implying that when they had the chance to put it away after turnovers, they made conservative play calls, is that accurate?

If yes, it's an implication that's not based in reality.

We had the chance to put the game in the first quarter and failed to do so, here's why.

Jets first possession: punt

We drive 64 yards for the TD. No complaints

Jets next possession: INT

We stall on a three and after pass attempts on second AND third down. The third down was 3 and 6. Hardly an unmanageable situation. That's poor execution.

Next Jets possession: INT

Again, here's another series for us to "put it away." And if you trusted what was in this thread, you'd think we ran it up the middle three times without affect. That's wrong. Again, we failed to convert on a third and 5. That's hardly setting ourselves up to fail.

3 and outs are failing. You are defending the play calling of 3 and out drives!! Again, at the end of the day it didn't matter but they squandered good field position multiple times with zero points. The Jets were reeling and you let them up off the canvas.

I have no issue with running the ball. I have an issue with not putting them away.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Abbott & Costello aka Marrone and Hackett are in WAY OVER THEIR HEADS. Their bozo inspired decisions & playcalling will allow the Bills to beat the bad teams in spite of them, but will get them totally outclassed come December when the games mean the most.

Edited by LabattBlue

3 and outs are failing. You are defending the play calling of 3 and out drives!! Again, at the end of the day it didn't matter but they squandered good field position multiple times with zero points. The Jets were reeling and you let them up off the canvas.

I have no issue with running the ball. I have an issue with not putting them away.

And again the target on why we're pissed at Hackett shifts.

Seriously, look at the drive chart. When Vick subbed in and caught our defense off-guard (as admitted to by KW in the post game, but Schwartz made the appropriate half time adjustments), they brought the score to 14-7. Then we threw the ball 84 yards down the middle of the field.

The complaints in this thread do not reflect the reality of the game we were playing yesterday. Things either didn't happen the way people are claiming they did, or weren't nearly as inappropriate as they're being framed, given the game situations.

Seriously, go through the drive summaries: http://www.pro-footb...01410260nyj.htm

And no, that's not a spam site. It couldn't be further from it.

I'll concede one ****ty drive that came as the result of bad play calling. And in fact, during live action yesterday, exclaimed as much. You'll find it at the mid-point of the second quarter. Other than that, It's really difficult for me to take issue with how things were called, when they were called that way.

Edited by The Big Cat

I do have an issue running the ball on first down immediately after you get a turnover. I would throw the ball deep there on first down when the turnover results in your team getting the ball on the opponent's side of the 50 yard line. That is how you go for the throat. Your chances of success there are high because you have the momentum. You also have the opportunity to draw a flag that puts you in the red zone instantly. The Bills do not take advantage of those situations enough. They go back into regular conservative offense mode which is a mistake in my opinion.

Abbott & Costello aka Marrone and Hackett are in WAY OVER THEIR HEADS. Their bozo inspired decisions & playcalling will allow them to beat the bad teams, but will get them totally outclassed come December when the games mean the most.

Since when are the Jets bad? Didn't their strengths match up with our weaknesses and they played the Pats tough, have a great coach, and they have a dominant front four and they're the best 1-7 team that just played some tough teams?

Oh wait, no, now we beat them, so they suck, their coach sucks, they're a garbage team that means nothing.

Same song and dance with the same posters.

Since when are the Jets bad? Didn't their strengths match up with our weaknesses and they played the Pats tough, have a great coach, and they have a dominant front four and they're the best 1-7 team that just played some tough teams?

Oh wait, no, now we beat them, so they suck, their coach sucks, they're a garbage team that means nothing.

Same song and dance with the same posters.

They were bad before the game and bad afterwards. Their is no such thing as "the best 1-7 team". Their skills positions all SUCK, and outside of their front 4, I am not sure where they are even mediocre.

They were bad before the game and bad afterwards. Their is no such thing as "the best 1-7 team". Their skills positions all SUCK, and outside of their front 4, I am not sure where they are even mediocre.

You obviously missed TBD last week.

Easy. Bills had Gs in there last year who at least played the position in the NFL.

That was the only play. In the postgame interview, Coples said that the Smith TD was the only unexpected thing the Bills did all day. Everything else, he said was very routine.

So Hackett is the guy who plays the guards? The guy who drafts them? Huh?

Abbott & Costello aka Marrone and Hackett are in WAY OVER THEIR HEADS. Their bozo inspired decisions & playcalling will allow them to beat the bad teams, but will get them totally outclassed come December when the games mean the most.

Actually, every game means the same. The December games aren't worth more in the win column than those in September and October.

I'm also not convinced of how beating the 4-3 Dolphins and the 6-2 Lions (on the road no less) qualifies as only beating bad teams.

That said, I'm not a Hackett fan overall--his play calling in the red zone was quite good yesterday. I think Marrone's undoing will be his loyalty to Hackett.

Remember though, this team is 5-3 at the halfway point, and 3-1 on the road. They have a very winnable stretch of games coming up:

KC at home

@ Miami

NYJ at home

Cleveland at home

It's not crazy at all to think they'll be 8-4 entering December. Yes, it's highly likely they'll get steamrolled against Denver.

Green Bay is very beatable on the road--this is a team that came within a questionable call of losing to Geno Smith and the Jets at Lambeau.

Oakland on the road is also very winnable.

Without even mentioning the NE rematch, this team could very plausibly be at 10 wins prior to Week 17.

I do have an issue running the ball on first down immediately after you get a turnover. I would throw the ball deep there on first down when the turnover results in your team getting the ball on the opponent's side of the 50 yard line. That is how you go for the throat. Your chances of success there are high because you have the momentum. You also have the opportunity to draw a flag that puts you in the red zone instantly. The Bills do not take advantage of those situations enough. They go back into regular conservative offense mode which is a mistake in my opinion.

Are you a football coach? Have you ever been one?

Just an FYI: the Jets play a 30 front; they don't have a front 4.

So Hackett is the guy who plays the guards? The guy who drafts them? Huh?

Just answering the hypothetical.

But since you posed the question, what changed from last year's No. 2 rush team to a putrid rush team?

Great idea!!

That's exactly what Buffalo did the week prior, so wouldn't you think the defense may also be looking for that me play.