Strategy Failures

vegas55

I have tried to be a supporter of Doug Marrone, and for sake of continuity, I am in no way advocating that he be fired. And truth be told, many NFL coaches suffer from game management/strategy failures. But wow, Doug is testing the limits.

I won't rehash this seasons strategy missteps, including mangling time management and the continual wrong decisions as to punting the ball v going for it on 4th down. Suffice to say this was highlighted when Kyle Orton vetoed Marrone's decision to punt on 4th down when he was trailing by 16, in the 4th quarter v Pats. Orton did pick up that 1st down. EJ would have never questioned Maronne's bone headed decision to punt then.

But from an overall strategy view point, what is especially troubling is Marrone's statements that he would love to achieve a 50/50 ratio in pass v run. Said the same thing in 2013. BUT THE GAME HAS CHANGED in the course of one year. With defensive holding penalties being emphasized and enforced, the NFL has made the passing game the way to go. So how does Doug respond to this seismic shift in the rules change favoring the pass game? Well by re emphasizing an ( unproductive) running game, accompanied by a short passing game that does not yield those defensive holding calls (5 yards downfield) that have plagued Bills secondary. Only Orton has saved Doug from his worst intentions. But you simply have to question a head coach who does not recognize how seismic shifts in NFL rules enforcement SHOULD absolutely shape how you fashion your offensive strategy.

I actually think going to a 50/50 run pass is one smart thing Marrone is trying to do.

The league has been a passing league for at least the last decade. Yes the new penalty makes it harder for DB's but i have also seen many more Offensive PI calls.

In all Marrone has many flaws, but i do not think this is one we should beat him up on.

I have tried to be a supporter of Doug Marrone, and for sake of continuity, I am in no way advocating that he be fired. And truth be told, many NFL coaches suffer from game management/strategy failures. But wow, Doug is testing the limits.

I won't rehash this seasons strategy missteps, including mangling time management and the continual wrong decisions as to punting the ball v going for it on 4th down. Suffice to say this was highlighted when Kyle Orton vetoed Marrone's decision to punt on 4th down when he was trailing by 16, in the 4th quarter v Pats. Orton did pick up that 1st down. EJ would have never questioned Maronne's bone headed decision to punt then.

But from an overall strategy view point, what is especially troubling is Marrone's statements that he would love to achieve a 50/50 ratio in pass v run. Said the same thing in 2013. BUT THE GAME HAS CHANGED in the course of one year. With defensive holding penalties being emphasized and enforced, the NFL has made the passing game the way to go. So how does Doug respond to this seismic shift in the rules change favoring the pass game? Well by re emphasizing an ( unproductive) running game, accompanied by a short passing game that does not yield those defensive holding calls (5 yards downfield) that have plagued Bills secondary. Only Orton has saved Doug from his worst intentions. But you simply have to question a head coach who does not recognize how seismic shifts in NFL rules enforcement SHOULD absolutely shape how you fashion your offensive strategy.

Do you really believe everything Marrone says in Press Conferences?

Of course hes gonna say 50/50. Hes got great receivers and a great leader in Fred Jackson. Imagine he said...we dont want to run, we want 80% passing and 20% running. CJ, Fred, Boobie, Summers would be like WTF?

I follow the Bills fairly closely, but I don't recall seeing or reading that Orton vetoed Marrone's decision to punt on 4th vs the Pats*. Do you have a link for that?

Watch NFL rewind, or read related articles. Marrone had punt team set to take the field, Orton waived them off. Or watch the game.

I actually think going to a 50/50 run pass is one smart thing Marrone is trying to do.

The league has been a passing league for at least the last decade. Yes the new penalty makes it harder for DB's but i have also seen many more Offensive PI calls.

In all Marrone has many flaws, but i do not think this is one we should beat him up on.

So your point is, the NFL has radically changed the enforcement of rules to FAVOR passing, but that it should in no way alter your offensive strategy in terms of your mix of passing or running. Okay, that makes just a ton of sense.

hmmm I think until proven other wise that a team has to have the threat of a good running game, or the D just keys the pass. Balance is still needed, I don't think 50/50 so much but you need the run game and the pass game, they are still parts of football.

I'm actually fed up with Marrone as I expected a bigger improvement form him this year. Instead he is very thin skinned and a bunch of other things. But that's all irrelevant. Just win. Even if you're down on the guy as the op is, as I am, as many others are, need to give a tip of the hat to him for use of the challenge flag. He wins those. ALL of our past coaches since that rule was implemented seemed to always lose those calls. I enjoy that about him so far. He controls his own destiny I think so he should run with it.

I'm actually fed up with Marrone as I expected a bigger improvement form him this year. Instead he is very thin skinned and a bunch of other things. But that's all irrelevant. Just win. Even if you're down on the guy as the op is, as I am, as many others are, need to give a tip of the hat to him for use of the challenge flag. He wins those. ALL of our past coaches since that rule was implemented seemed to always lose those calls. I enjoy that about him so far. He controls his own destiny I think so he should run with it.

I agree with most of this. Just when your fed up with his decisions he replaces EJ or finally starts Urbik. Maybe he'll put Hackett on a short leash.

Watch NFL rewind, or read related articles. Marrone had punt team set to take the field, Orton waived them off. Or watch the game.

I watched the game and it was not clear that that is what happened. Orton was making some hand gestures, you could not tell what he was gesturing about. The cameras did not show whether the punt team was taking the field and I never heard if Marrone or Orton was asked about it later. I agree, though, if Marrone had punted in that situation, it would be a firing offense.

So your point is, the NFL has radically changed the enforcement of rules to FAVOR passing, but that it should in no way alter your offensive strategy in terms of your mix of passing or running. Okay, that makes just a ton of sense.

You have to look at your entire team and what you have and do not have. The Bills have not had a prolific passer for a long time. I am still not totally convinced they do.

Play to your strengths.

Marrone is a a big fraud, came in talking about being innovative and aggressive style coach.If you look close you will see this guy coachs not to lose and this is on both sides of ball.We were second in league in rushing last year finished 6-10, tomorrow will be his final test.If the Bills do not win Sunday they will not be making the playoffs again and it is time ownership bring in proven NFL coach or even top level college coach from a real football program.Syracuse is not a football powerhouse and Marrone was a .500 coach there.Enough said and stop with all Syracuse junkies about how he turned the program around, is that what we are looking for to .500.

But from an overall strategy view point, what is especially troubling is Marrone's statements that he would love to achieve a 50/50 ratio in pass v run. Said the same thing in 2013. BUT THE GAME HAS CHANGED in the course of one year. (...) But you simply have to question a head coach who does not recognize how seismic shifts in NFL rules enforcement SHOULD absolutely shape how you fashion your offensive strategy.

Mmmm. It seems to me the most important thing is to shape your game to your personnel. If your QB is Brees, Rodgers, Brady, or Peyton Manning, it makes sense to pass more than you run. If your running back is Arian Foster and your QB is Schaub or Fitzpatrick, it makes sense to run more than you pass. One of the things that drove me nuts about Gailey was his designing a pass-centric offense suitable for Rodgers, with Fitzpatrick at the helm.

With young QB they were developing, both the 49ers and the Seahawks ran a lot. In theory with CJ and FJ in the backfield, it made sense for us to run a lot. The flaw in that plan is our OL, and with EJ, lack of enough downfield passing game to back defenses off

Edited by Hopeful

Marrone is a a big fraud, came in talking about being innovative and aggressive style coach.If you look close you will see this guy coachs not to lose and this is on both sides of ball.We were second in league in rushing last year finished 6-10, tomorrow will be his final test.If the Bills do not win Sunday they will not be making the playoffs again and it is time ownership bring in proven NFL coach or even top level college coach from a real football program.Syracuse is not a football powerhouse and Marrone was a .500 coach there.Enough said and stop with all Syracuse junkies about how he turned the program around, is that what we are looking for to .500.

"Coaches not to lose" dead on!

has not mishandled the clock yet, unless you count a running play to CJ (a conservative call) with 20 seconds left before half also has not made a poor decision electing to punt yet either.

Not calling a timeout before the half when the Vikings were going to kick a 55yd fg with about a minute left was.

I agree Marrone talked a big game but doesn't follow through on things. He seems to also speak in generalities. He says good thing and knows how to sell things but no ability to follow through.

Unless you have a franchise QB, a balanced offense is needed.

So only if you have a franchise QB can you take advantage of rules changes. It's pretty clear from the responses on this topic that if the NFL were to change the rules and allow offensive lineman to hold on pass plays, many would still insist that Marrone is right and that we should continue to have a "balanced" offense.

The 2014 stats are clear, please research them before you respond. In 2014 QB sacks are at a five year low, defensive holding on pass plays is at an all time (by far) high. So keep on advocating for a run game which fails to take advantage of the radical rules changes that the NFL has adopted. That's what losers do.