(OT) The Jets West Side Stadium

duey

I think they should build the stadium.  It would be great for NYC, and the 600mil is quickly offset by the money this would bring in. 

I hope it happens!

224419[/snapback]

600 Million they say now. Look at the other stadiums built around the country, they always go over. And in NYC where there is an amazing ammount of corruption, expect that number to rise.

And why would it be great for NYC?

And I have always been one of those people who has recognized not only the down side, but the up side to NYC.  I am not one of those who argues that Upstate would be better off without NYC........quite frankly it would not.  But this is just another example of downstate politicians working with a blind eye toward upstate.  Yes a new stadium would be nice in NYC, and any help to bring in Olympics would be good as well, however, when will Albany ever look west?

224086[/snapback]

What exactly do you see as the upside to NYC? Compare Upstate New York with any typical Midwestern state. Chances are the Midwestern state has significantly lower taxes, less governmental bloat, fewer people leaving, fewer social parasites moving in, and an overall brighter future. The ONLY reason these things are not true of Upstate New York as well is that it has the misfortune of being lumped in with New York City.

What exactly do you see as the upside to NYC? Compare Upstate New York with any typical Midwestern state. Chances are the Midwestern state has significantly lower taxes, less governmental bloat, fewer people leaving, fewer social parasites moving in, and an overall brighter future. The ONLY reason these things are not true of Upstate New York as well is that it has the misfortune of being lumped in with New York City.

224721[/snapback]

You raise some valid points, but it is hard for me to believe that NYC is the ONLY thing wrong with what is happening upstate.

A couple of years ago, I went to Niagra Falls for the first time. There were police cars flying all over the place, and some of the area looked like a slum. I understand that this can happen anywhere (DC for example), but as an outsider, I was surprised to see a ghetto in the background of one of the wonders of the world.

My point is that I suspect that people upstate do have other issues besides NYC.

Let the jests fans have what they deserve, a stadium with no parking lot and no tailgates. They can go to a 12 dollar per beer bar in which no smoking is allowed.

Enjoy yourselves, morons! I will be partying with Mark, cl, 89, Badolbilz and crew, R.Rich, Lancaster Steve, JIS, bill in livonia, and whoever else cares to honor me with their presence! Sorry to those I left out.

There should be no jests fans living in the state of NY imo. I lived in Queens for 34 years and am a recovering jest fan. They left us. They decided to abandon their NYC fans. Honestly, they did me a favor, because the day they left, I commited myself to the Buffalo Bills football team and have never looked back.

Have fun jests fans! Spend $300 - $500 dollars to see a football game with no tailgate (the best part of football)!!!

Tell them Bill from NYC says hello from Orchard Park, where he tailgates and watches football games with the greatest fans of any team in any sport.

224274[/snapback]

If you're trying to flatter us, it's working. :)

224721[/snapback]

nyc is the engine of the ny state economy and basically provides life support to the rest of the state. it's the only region in the state that has seen major economic growth in the past decade and its financial and advanced services (law, media, etc.) industries are at the forefront of that.

Finally, if this indeed is sufficient to attract the Olympics, I suspect the impact of that  would be VERY profitable for the State.

224100[/snapback]

the country and city that hosts the olympics ALWAYS loses a crapload of money...

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5659938/

there is no profit there...all they get is free publicity...does NYC really need anymore publicity? people there can't shut up about how fabulously orgasmic the city is

He wasn't even a Jet's fan until he started getting publicity. He just tagged along with his brother to the games.

225123[/snapback]

It's pretty hilarious that NYC media digs deep into the big issues like this. I can't fathom having even a shred of fame here and having every bit of dirt/contradiction in my life brought forth to the public.

But you've made your point. Fireman bad, stadium also bad again. :D

.....Then let them pay their own freight....

225117[/snapback]

fyi, nyc pays doles out more taxes proportionally to the state than it receives back, and this has been the case for a couple of decades. on the other hand, buffalo -- my beloved hometown -- is a charity case, receiving more from the state than it puts in proportionally. the greatest myth among western nyers is that they subsidize ny. the reverse is actually the case, and has been for many years.

BillsNYC Posted Today, 01:10 PM

QUOTE(RuntheDamnBall @ Feb 1 2005, 01:07 PM)

Man, that fireman's alright.  I think we should have a stadium after all.

He wasn't even a Jet's fan until he started getting publicity. He just tagged along with his brother to the games.

Some of the real Jets fans have told me that about him.

The Javitts center is already big enough to host those events.(and it does)

no it doesn't. It holds the small and medium sized shows. The major trade shows almost all go to:

Vegas

Chicago

New Orleans

Atlanta

Orlando

nyc is the engine of the ny state economy and basically provides life support to the rest of the state. it's the only region in the state that has seen major economic growth in the past decade and its financial and advanced services (law, media, etc.) industries are at the forefront of that.

224989[/snapback]

And because of that, the "legislature" is blind to all the other problems in the state. Money corrupts - and in this case, money in NYC is simply masking the serious problems elsewhere in the state.

The real problem is the same one we have in Massachusetts - the dopes keep electing the same people, time and time again.

224989[/snapback]

The real problem with NYC is the political problems is causes. New York State has one of the most generous welfare programs in the country, and that's directly traceable to NYC influence. So people from elsewhere get attracted to New York State to basically take advantage of the system. Regardless of which communities these people ultimately choose to live in, NYC was the source of the problem due to its political influence.

The same is true of excess regulation. A New York State hospital was recently told that it must spend $3 million to widen its doorways. The hospital administrator responded by saying that he didn't have the money to do this. He was told that he needed to widen the doorways--due to some regulation--or he'd be shut down. Another regulator came by, from a department responsible for stopping hospitals from engaging in frivolous spending. When this other guy learned of the situation, he said that spending $3 million on widening doorways was silly, and that if the hospital did it it'd be shut down. Hyperactive regulation is clearly driving up health care costs in NY state, just as it is driving up costs of doing business in general. NYC is apparently better able to bear these regulatory costs than upstate NY; because NYC is such a financial hub. Unfortunately, NYC regularly chooses to elect politicians who impose high regulatory costs on the entire state.

Is there any more information on this? Like an article or something?

226476[/snapback]

There was an article about 3 years ago that listed the 5 worst fans in Pro football. The guy with the arrows in him for the chiefs and Big Dawg for the Browns were 2 I can remember.

Fireman Ed was also on the list. The big reason was that he wasn't even a real Jets fan until he got popular.

I can't remember the magazine though...damn!

You raise some valid points, but it is hard for me to believe that NYC is the ONLY thing wrong with what is happening upstate.

A couple of years ago, I went to Niagra Falls for the first time. There were police cars flying all over the place, and some of the area looked like a slum. I understand that this can happen anywhere (DC for example), but as an outsider, I was surprised to see a ghetto in the background of one of the wonders of the world.

My point is that I suspect that people upstate do have other issues besides NYC.

224757[/snapback]

You are opening a can of worms here and a sore spot of WNY and Niagara Falls. A whole new thread could be opened up on this!

Where do you think they "ship" a bulk of that "cheap" hydroelectrical power to?

NYC?

Do Niagara Falls/WNY residents get a break on their power? Do they charge NYC residents a premium for this power?

So the problem is NYC in MANY ways?

I guess there are a whole lot of questions?

:(

Everybody fails to mention that if you build the stadium a few miles west in Queens, the cost is HALF.

223970[/snapback]

Um, I think Queens is east of Manhattan. I'll have to ask my brother in law his opinion. He not only lives in NYC, he is the deputy budget director for the city. He usually has a pretty educated opinion about such things.

225123[/snapback]

That is absolutely true...I think he was originally a Cowboys fan, if I remember correctly.

There was an article about 3 years ago that listed the 5 worst fans in Pro football. The guy with the arrows in him for the chiefs and Big Dawg for the Browns were 2 I can remember.

Fireman Ed was also on the list. The big reason was that he wasn't even a real Jets fan until he got popular.

I can't remember the magazine though...damn!

226492[/snapback]

If someone could find this article, I would be very grateful. There's someone I really need to show it to...

I see that the Giants want a new $700,000,000.00 stadium also. So I ask what is so wrong with the Meadowlands Stadium?

227021[/snapback]

No 'club' seating and not nearly enough luxury box revenue.

It's all about keeping up with the Joneses.

No 'club' seating and not nearly enough luxury box revenue.

It's all about keeping up with the Joneses.

227055[/snapback]

Lord knows football games need to be less affordable and more about opportunities to close deals in the comfort of the indoors.

I understand the idea, sort of, for a party or for those who can't handle the cold, but it seems the essence of the game is just lost in the luxury box.

Lord knows football games need to be less affordable and more about opportunities to close deals in the comfort of the indoors.

I understand the idea, sort of, for a party or for those who can't handle the cold, but it seems the essence of the game is just lost in the luxury box.

227068[/snapback]

The Jets have some the highest ticket prices already and there is a waiting list for season tickets. How exactly are they low on revenue?

The real problem with NYC is the political problems is causes. New York State has one of the most generous welfare programs in the country, and that's directly traceable to NYC influence. So people from elsewhere get attracted to New York State to basically take advantage of the system. Regardless of which communities these people ultimately choose to live in, NYC was the source of the problem due to its political influence.

Bingo! My mother is a case worker for the welfare dept. New Yorkers have no idea how much money they dole out to people who haven't even been in the country a year...not to mention those who view welfare their birthright.

227068[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more. I was like a six year old I was so pumped when it started snowing right before the Cleveland game (my first home game in several years). Sitting in a luxury box would have ruined that.

On the other hand, it's a great way to watch a crappy hockey game at MSG.