The Myth of Kyle Orton is a turnover machine

A common theme amongst the Haters! Threw a pick yesterday and he fumbled, has thrown a pick in three games, EJ was better at protecting it. BS!!!!! He has handled the ball on 2647 plays in his career and has a 7% turnover rate. This puts him 16th out of 62 active QBs with 500 or more ball control plays. Ahead of EJ who is 30th. Orton ranks between Phillip Rivers and Cam Newton. He is ahead of Aaron Rodgers 8% and Roehtlisberger 9%. He trails Tom Brady 6%, Andruw Luck 6%, and Peyton Manning 4%.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A common theme amongst the Haters! Threw a pick yesterday and he fumbled, has thrown a pick in three games, EJ was better at protecting it. BS!!!!! He has handled the ball on 2647 plays in his career and has a 7% turnover rate. This puts him 16th out of 62 active QBs with 500 or more ball control plays. Ahead of EJ who is 30th. Orton ranks between Phillip Rivers and Cam Newton. He is ahead of Aaron Rodgers 8% and Roehtlisberger 9%. He trails Tom Brady 6%, Andruw Luck 6%, and Peyton Manning 4%.

What's his turnover rate this year? Taking stats from teams that aren't the Bills doesn't mean much to me.

And the day Orton is as good as Rivers, Newton, Rogers or Big Ben is the day I overlook some of these turnovers. He doesn't make enough plays to offset them.

And why is it that anybody who doesn't say Orton a fantastic QB a "hater?" The guy is a middling QB who needs to hold onto the ball. Stating this does't make me a "hater", it makes me honest. That said, he's better than EJ at this point in their careers so I have no issue with him getting the starting nod.

What's his turnover rate this year? Taking stats from teams that aren't the Bills doesn't mean much to me.

And the day Orton is as good as Rivers, Newton, Rogers or Big Ben is the day I overlook some of these turnovers. He doesn't make enough plays to offset them.

And why is it that anybody who doesn't say Orton a fantastic QB a "hater?" The guy is a middling QB who needs to hold onto the ball. Stating this does't make me a "hater", it makes me honest. That said, he's better than EJ at this point in their careers so I have no issue with him getting the starting nod.

Sample Size!

Sample Size

Why is it that people always inserts words like "fantastic" or "great" into people who defend ortons comments ? because without those obvious exaggerations your claims would be frivolous

Why is it that people always inserts words like "fantastic" or "great" into people who defend ortons comments ? because without those obvious exaggerations your claims would be frivolous

Why is it every individual who comments on Orton struggling or not playing great as a hater? Same logic.

Because they can't admit that they are wrong and he is no where near the biggest issue with this team. He ranks way down the list behind such things as guard play, coaching the line, coordinating the offense etc. This team has talent and is succeeding IN SPITE of the problems.

Why is it every individual who comments on Orton struggling or not playing great as a hater? Same logic.

The guy had had an 88,94 and 96 passer rating with a 2-1 record. Why do the EJ lovers not accept that replacing him with Orton has removed and excuse for the coaching staff. We have much bigger issues than Orton.

I have no problems with Orton throwing INTs as the more chances you take to throw downfield, you are also going to get picked off more often. Brett Favre was a great example. What I didn't like from Orton was the Fumble. There is really no reason to not take the sack there.

Unfortunately, if the Bills don't fix their OL, we won't be seeing much more of Orton. He usually only has 2 seconds to throw and is gonna get killed out there. How can our OL be so terrible for 15 years?!? Tom Brady has all day to throw, and I can't even name more than 2 of their linemen.

I have no problems with Orton throwing INTs as the more chances you take to throw downfield, you are also going to get picked off more often. Brett Favre was a great example. What I didn't like from Orton was the Fumble. There is really no reason to not take the sack there.

+1

And if you are going to take the sack he had enough time to tuck that ball up safe. My worry with both the strip sacks is he doesn't seem to prioritise holding on to the football. Yesterday he tried to force something and against the Patriots he just dropped it. If he can clear up the fumbles I have no problem with 1 or 2 INTs per game trying to make a play down the field.

I can accept the interceptions, they are part of the game but the careless fumbles are inexcusable...why on earth would he try passing that ball with the defender all over him, just take the sack and get the FG

Orton and a lot of other players on this team need to play a lot smarter than they have been

A common theme amongst the Haters! Threw a pick yesterday and he fumbled, has thrown a pick in three games, EJ was better at protecting it. BS!!!!!

It's not BS. One has 2 fumbles and 3 picks with 137 combined touches (non handoffs) one has zero fumbles and three picks on 153 combined touches on the season. Same o line, same oc, same playbook. It is definitely something that can be factually asserted. That means based on well over 100 touches one has almost twice the giveaway rate as the other.

The real argument is protecting the football is ok, but can't be a priority over taking calculated risks to win games. The subargument is then of course are all turnovers equal? A bomb on third down picked on the opposing 5 is much less detrimental than a fumble in your own end zone. When and how turnovers are committed mean everything in the game and are hidden in the stats.

The other argument is asking if comparing Orton to a guy with 14 games experience is the benchmark for being a turnover machine or not.

Also in general folks should careful about using words like sample size unless you really know what it means. There is a bunch of math needed to determine a correct sample size for comparing outcomes. If you did that in the background, please... Share...

Because they can't admit that they are wrong and he is no where near the biggest issue with this team. He ranks way down the list behind such things as guard play, coaching the line, coordinating the offense etc. This team has talent and is succeeding IN SPITE of the problems.

The guy had had an 88,94 and 96 passer rating with a 2-1 record. Why do the EJ lovers not accept that replacing him with Orton has removed and excuse for the coaching staff. We have much bigger issues than Orton.

It's funny how you completely ignored my question. Are we all supposed to bow down and chant about how great Orton is? No, he's been better than EJ, but that's where I draw the line.

This "HATER, AND EJ LOVER" crap is idiotic. We're all Bills fans, and the fact is if someone is rooting for one player to be better than another on our team, then that person isn't a fan, they just want to be right. Bottom line.

Dude, he has no pass protection. Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers would be turning the ball over if they were behind that line..

The Putz also have problems on the OLine until they faced the Bills.

Yet - Tom Terrific has a TD to INT ratio of ... 13 - 2 add to that 5 fumbles

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

It's not BS. One has 2 fumbles and 3 picks with 137 combined touches (non handoffs) one has zero fumbles and three picks on 153 combined touches on the season. Same o line, same oc, same playbook. It is definitely something that can be factually asserted. That means based on well over 100 touches one has almost twice the giveaway rate as the other.

The real argument is protecting the football is ok, but can't be a priority over taking calculated risks to win games. The subargument is then of course are all turnovers equal? A bomb on third down picked on the opposing 5 is much less detrimental than a fumble in your own end zone. When and how turnovers are committed mean everything in the game and are hidden in the stats.

The other argument is asking if comparing Orton to a guy with 14 games experience is the benchmark for being a turnover machine or not.

Also in general folks should careful about using words like sample size unless you really know what it means. There is a bunch of math needed to determine a correct sample size for comparing outcomes. If you did that in the background, please... Share...

Orton has handled the ball through passes, sacks or runs 2,647 times in his career. On 7% of the plays he either has a fumble or an interception. This is good for 17th place out of 62 eligible QBs-(500 plays to be eligible). EJ has handled the ball 540 times with an 8% turnover rate. Lower is better-obviously. As for sample size, people shouldn't look at 2-3 games worth of data and give it more weight than someone who has handled the ball over 2600 times.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics!

That is moronic!