Assuming Orton starts next year, how many more flaws are there?

We know Orton is not a franchise QB but I do believe he is good enough to get this team into playoffs. So what is needed to make that happen? The run game is the worst I can remember and that has to be the number 1 flaw to fix. Can the flaws below be fixed by September 2015? Maybe with the DT depth, Buffalo can make a trade using Kyle Williams (love him to death but we saw our Dline with Charles last week). I bet a top guard or TE could come back (or a nice draft pick).

Guard position

A legit TE

Corner opposite Mckelvin

A future QB to learn behind Orton for 2 years

Feel free to add coaching changes

You pretty much have it covered.

In the interest of being practical, I'd modify starting corner to any decent DB who can provide depth - CB, Safety, whatever.

And yes coaching changes.

I am really starting to think they need to trade a Dman for a starting guard if they want to make the playoffs this year.

i am unfortunately leaning heavily toward coaching change. i hate to say that because i really want to like this staff. but i can't understand the how and the why of it. i just find myself getting more and more frustrated on sundays. well, at least on sundays vs. the patriots. seems like i am always ready for heads to roll on those mondays.

I think that you are pretty much right on Baumer. I have been saying for weeks that I think Sam Bradford will be the QB of this team next year and Orton backing him up (slash playing when he inevitably gets hurt). They may draft a QB but I think that it will be a mid round guy with lots of upside but flaws. I don't see them interested in an Aaron Murray type that is really solid with minimal upside. They will be looking for a Logan Thomas type kid that may turn into a home run. This team is ready to win now and they aren't going to lose a couple of years developing a rookie starter.

It's so funny how we view Orton. The only time he's been to the playoffs, he was the weak link.

I'm with you. What this team needs is a Kirk Cousins.

No, wait.

We need a Mike Glennon.

No, wait.

We need a Teddy Bridgewater.

No, wait.

We need a Derek Carr.

No, wait.

You know what? Let me see what young quarterback has a good week next week and I'll ask for him.

Assuming Orton starts next year, I seriously consider canceling my season tickets.

We know Orton is not a franchise QB but I do believe he is good enough to get this team into playoffs. So what is needed to make that happen? The run game is the worst I can remember and that has to be the number 1 flaw to fix. Can the flaws below be fixed by September 2015? Maybe with the DT depth, Buffalo can make a trade using Kyle Williams (love him to death but we saw our Dline with Charles last week). I bet a top guard or TE could come back (or a nice draft pick).

Guard position

A legit TE

Corner opposite Mckelvin

A future QB to learn behind Orton for 2 years

Feel free to add coaching changes

We need good coaches, HC, OC and DC all suck.

Beyond it is hard to judge the talent because many players appear to be out of position, over/under or incorrectly utilized. This coaching staff is horrendous. Not sure what to think about Whalley but I feel like if he's still here, he will be a yes man to a coach with all the authority.

Here is where we definitely need roster help

QB (EJ is probably not the answer and Orton certainly isn't)

OG - obviously

TE

CB/Safety - Gilmore is overrated, McKelvin is not a starter, need a #1 for sure and depth. (but these guys would be helped by a pressuring style defense.

LB - I like our LBs for the most part but could add depth especially if Spike and Hughes (I know he is LB/DE) leave.

No, wait.

We need a Mike Glennon.

No, wait.

No, wait.

We need a Derek Carr.

No, wait.

You know what? Let me see what young quarterback has a good week next week and I'll ask for him.

Haha, so true. I can't wait for us to draft another young qb, give up on him after some struggles, & talk ourselves into some veteran journeyman. The life of a Bills fan.

If Orton starts next year we are in big trouble

problem is we are a bit committed to him. I mean we can somehow work a trade for cousins or bradford but right now its looking like he has the nod. We have some cap space especially if we can renegotiate a couple deals. I bet we extend Hughes and I'd love to see us go after a vet like Revis if we want to really make a splash. If we did get a revis I'd like to see us maybe franchise Hughes to take a shot at the division next year and then let him walk. What if we signed revis to like a 2 or 3 year fully guaranteed deal? The raiders did that with one of their db's. Pick up a guard in the draft along with a qb and we have our team.

problem is we are a bit committed to him. I mean we can somehow work a trade for cousins or bradford but right now its looking like he has the nod. We have some cap space especially if we can renegotiate a couple deals. I bet we extend Hughes and I'd love to see us go after a vet like Revis if we want to really make a splash. If we did get a revis I'd like to see us maybe franchise Hughes to take a shot at the division next year and then let him walk. What if we signed revis to like a 2 or 3 year fully guaranteed deal? The raiders did that with one of their db's. Pick up a guard in the draft along with a qb and we have our team.

Lol you think revis would come play in buffalo? LOL!!!! Spikes will probably be the first one he would call to ask about the transition from the pats to the bills. Or should I say the transgression. The loss yesterday to the patriots for the players that have been around the bills since before Marrone took over HAD to feel like "just the same ol bills " and I for one believe that it took almost all if not all the wind out of the sails of the bills. Maybe spikes and c.graham can change that since it's what they were brought in to do.

I think that you are pretty much right on Baumer. I have been saying for weeks that I think Sam Bradford will be the QB of this team next year and Orton backing him up (slash playing when he inevitably gets hurt). They may draft a QB but I think that it will be a mid round guy with lots of upside but flaws. I don't see them interested in an Aaron Murray type that is really solid with minimal upside. They will be looking for a Logan Thomas type kid that may turn into a home run. This team is ready to win now and they aren't going to lose a couple of years developing a rookie starter.

I usually agree with you, Kirby, but Bradford is overrated. There is no evidence that he is a franchise QB to be desired. He is an accurate passer. That's about it. He also always seems to be injured. Just because a QB gets taken early doesn't make him a franchise QB. He just may have been a reach by the Rams. He is a decent QB - just not as good as some make him out to be.

You pretty much have it covered.

In the interest of being practical, I'd modify starting corner to any decent DB who can provide depth - CB, Safety, whatever.

And yes coaching changes.

the only starting db thst is safe for me is Aaron Williams. Searcy would be number 2 believe it or not. And we need to get Corey Graham in at cb. The other cb is up for grabs in my eyes.

EJ or a new rookie will be the starter next year.

FA most likely. Hughes seems worthy of the franchise designation if they can not work out a deal before then. Spiller is as good as gone.

I couldn't comment on the qb situation any better.

No, wait.

We need a Mike Glennon.

No, wait.

No, wait.

We need a Derek Carr.

No, wait.

I never said we need. But I think Bridgewater might be a legit upgrade on EJ. Let's see this Sunday. But you're point is echoed by realist all the time. It really is we just need... insert qb not on a bills roster. And it's getting old

I usually agree with you, Kirby, but Bradford is overrated. There is no evidence that he is a franchise QB to be desired. He is an accurate passer. That's about it. He also always seems to be injured. Just because a QB gets taken early doesn't make him a franchise QB. He just may have been a reach by the Rams. He is a decent QB - just not as good as some make him out to be.

He was playing great last year when he inevitably got hurt. I don't think that he is great but if he can stay healthy with these weapons he could have a big year. Bradford can play at an Andy Dalton / Joe Flacco level which may be all this team needs to compete. There is not a guy in next year's draft (outside of maybe Mariota) that can play at that level next season. Bradford will almost certainly be available and could be signed as a FA with an incentive based contract.

He was playing great last year when he inevitably got hurt. I don't think that he is great but if he can stay healthy with these weapons he could have a big year. Bradford can play at an Andy Dalton / Joe Flacco level which may be all this team needs to compete. There is not a guy in next year's draft (outside of maybe Mariota) that can play at that level next season. Bradford will almost certainly be available and could be signed as a FA with an incentive based contract.

I am kind of buying what you are selling. My concern is the coaching, The O-line, and the OC in Buffalo.Bradofrd never panned out half as well as he was expected too. Some of which if I remember correctly was his supporting cast there. i would guess he still would not come as cheap as one would like. or he is done as a starter.