Orton is mediocre

papazoid

Orton is a stop gap and nothing more. He gives us the best chance to win over any other QB on this team though.

Exactly.

Last time i checked mediocre is better than bad, which is what EJ was. Whats the alternative right now? Nothing.

This type of post is reminiscent of the Gailey years. After a week where the opposing qb throws for 361yds and 4TD, heres a thread about our QB not being good enough.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is far better to know this season than it is to wait 1 or 2 more to know the reality of it.

this applies to you too WEO. remind me ... what was the argument you and Nee I mean Doc had years back WRT Matt Leinart

is it really achievement to reach a WC only to fail again next season?

Leinart was a bust.

Wooo.....that felt good!

Give it a try.

this team is still plagued with below average QB play.

Orton Passer Rating: 20th (EJ 28th)

Orton Total QBR: 31st (EJ 33rd)

Orton is playing better than EJ, but that ain't saying much.

Orton better take advantage of the upcoming so called easier games.

Who cares, Orton is still the best option right now. This offense is moving better with Orton and you don't see the frustration in the receivers like you did when EJ was in.

This team's ok. Sucks today--Orton in mediocre--men are mediocre. This happens in NFL every week. I like this teams chances of bouncing back hard--playing great ball and getting a chance at the division title week 16.

Is there a point to this thread? As if anyone thought Orton was great?

~20th best QB or thereabouts is what we realistically hoped for. I think you drastically underestimate how much better that is than the 40th or so best QB in the league. KC underwent a very similar upgrade last year and it's done wonders for them (yes Crennell to Reid helps too).

This team's ok. Sucks today--Orton in mediocre--men are mediocre.

Is this some kind of code?

For the record, there were threads suggesting he be signed to an extension.

I think Orton is what he is. He is a sharper Fitz with less mobility. That's probably what they needed last season with EJ understudying, and perhaps at the start of this one, too.

I still would like to see a more mobile QB on this team, especially given the line's deficiencies.

~20th best QB or thereabouts is what we realistically hoped for. I think you drastically underestimate how much better that is than the 40th or so best QB in the league. KC underwent a very similar upgrade last year and it's done wonders for them (yes Crennell to Reid helps too).

Rivers,Rodgers,Manning,and Luck have been ridiculous

Romo starting slow but is picking up his play but Bryant has been otherworldly so far

Outside of that the rest of the qb play in the league has been up and down . Did anyone see Matt Ryan get clowned by the bears defense yesterday ? Eli was on fire the past few weeks and got shutout by the eagles .

the majority of league is mediocre going by the standards set around here

this team is still plagued with below average QB play.

Orton Passer Rating: 20th (EJ 28th)

Orton Total QBR: 31st (EJ 33rd)

Orton is playing better than EJ, but that ain't saying much.

Orton better take advantage of the upcoming so called easier games.

All QBs except Rivers, Brady, Manning, Luck, Rodgers are mediocre currently.... This thread is useless.

Edited by markgbe

Did anyone say that Orton was anything but mediocre? Why is this a surprise?

He'll win us some games, he'll lose us some games.

Well put. We knew what we were getting with Orton. He will make some good plays and make some bone headed plays.

Orton's first pass attempt to Watkins was a beauty, and because of Orton, Scott Chandler had one of his more effective games in a long time.

Then there was the interception, which was a poor decision, and then the sack where Orton just stood there.

Orton is doing pretty good, considering he's only played 2 games here. Let's just not fool ourselves into thinking that he is an elite QB.

I guess I'm going against the grain, but I was a huge skeptic when it came to Orton and he's looked pretty darn good to me through two weeks. The two picks were bad but he's been asked/forced to make some pretty ridiculous throws into tight windows.

I feel like we can win with him. Even in the playoffs. Clean up the penalties and stick to your assignments on defense yesterday and we might be talking about an exciting win.

KC has lost 9 of their last 13 games...

Orton is already not better than EJ. Yes he has thrown for more yard, but the result is the same. Bad turnovers, missed receivers and losses. EJ is 2-2. Orton is 1-1. What are we getting from Orton that EJ hasn't done? Orton is a veteran who has proved over his career to be mediocre. EJ has played 14 games. Play him and develop him. The rest of the team sucks anyway and is not going anywhere. I'd rather lose with a kid than with a 31 yr old, fat JP Losman look-alike.

It's not baseball. QBs shouldn't be ascribed win-loss records.

Orton in 2 games

54-87 66.7 comp %

607 total yards 304 ypg

7.49 ypa

3 tds 2 ints

90.9 qb rating

and this was off the street basically

The problem is not that Orton is mediocre its that some of you simply refuse to admit that some parts of our team are simply not as good as we thought they were

Yep.

Points per game in Orton starts: 19.5.

Turnovers from the qb position: 1.5

Points per game in EJ starts: 19.75

Turnovers from the qb position: .75

Where's the upgrade? But at least Orton is young and can improve.

I particularly liked how EJ willed Corey Graham to dominate the Bears & get three takeaways and CJ to run the kick back and blocking that punt vs Miami. Some stuff you just can't teach.

Points per game in Orton starts: 19.5.

Turnovers from the qb position: 1.5

Points per game in EJ starts: 19.75

Turnovers from the qb position: .75

Where's the upgrade? But at least Orton is young and can improve.

lol the upgrade is across the board because now the improved qb play is exposing other areas that need improvement.

I particularly liked how EJ willed Corey Graham to dominate the Bears & get three takeaways and CJ to run the kick back and blocking that punt vs Miami. Some stuff you just can't teach.

Just like Orton willed Detroit kicker to miss 3 fgs and Watkins to make circus catches when he was dropping easy ones the week before.

But omg! Orton had 300 yards!!! We are a decent kicker away from being 0-2 with him under center.

I love Orton as a backup but he is what he is. And there hasn't been enough of an improvement to justify the switch. Marrone's seat is getting very warm.

Just like Orton willed Detroit kicker to miss 3 fgs and Watkins to make circus catches when he was dropping easy ones the week before.

But omg! Orton had 300 yards!!! We are a decent kicker away from being 0-2 with him under center.

I love Orton as a backup but he is what he is. And there hasn't been enough of an improvement to justify the switch. Marrone's seat is getting very warm.

I personally can see a difference in offensive play between Orton and Manuel....the problem is there are too many OTHER positions not doing their job in order for Orton (who is not a franchise signal caller....only a middle of the field starting qB) to do his job.

For instance.....

- Why run on first down when its just a wasted down putting them in 2nd and long situation?.....why not let Orton pass the ball?

- Running CJ up into the gut of the defense is NOT WORKING......it gets either 1 yard or negative yards.......running Boobie actually makes more sense

Stop moving goalposts. You're the one who brought up PPG and PPG exclusively. You obviously did that for a reason - because there is no other leg to stand on for arguing their performances have been comparable. So when the PPG theory gets ripped to shreds, we move on to W/L and hypothetical W/L not accounting for the quality of defense or opponent. Weak sauce even for an EJ apologist.