JW's Bills-Lions All-22 Review

Something that hasn't gotten a lot of attention in the poor play in the first half was the horrid outing by Lee Smith. I didn't see him at all in the second half and that was also a reason for better execution.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Something that hasn't gotten a lot of attention in the poor play in the first half was the horrid outing by Lee Smith. I didn't see him at all in the second half and that was also a reason for better execution.

Lee Smith stinks. His 1-2 penalties a game offshoot any decent blocking. The Bills should all but abandon the two TE set and the fullback, spread the field, always have three or four WR in, and get Fred and CJ into more space, as well as let the vet QB use the four talented young WR to make plays, even in a short passing game for the most part.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

JW needs to learn the difference between Cover-2 and LBs dropping into zone coverage.

GO BILLS!!!

Don't question JWs Football knowledge. So says Mr. WEO!

Both TEs are marginal.

That throw to Hogan took some balls. Not much of a window at all. Nice throw.

That's probably the best throw I have ever seen on these All-22s. And then he made a similar to throw to Woods a few clips later.

This passing offense is going to be about ten times better with Orton....something I thought I would never say.

Yes I was thinking about that. You can see Hogan sped up to try to find slot between two defenders which is why they call him 7-11.

Some of the Bills WRs did not seem happy when QB change was made according to statements they made to media but I am sure Gragg, Hogan and Goodwin were happy they were given balls they could catch and contribute to win.

Yes I was thinking about that. You can see Hogan sped up to try to find slot between two defenders which is why they call him 7-11.

Some of the Bills WRs did not seem happy when QB change was made according to statements they made to media but I am sure Gragg, Hogan and Goodwin were happy they were given balls they could catch and contribute to win.

7-11 damn near dropped that pass.

Lee Smith was actually wide open on a play in the 3rd quarter (I forget when) and Orton went somewhere else underneath.

I am on my phone now I'll check later. It was the only Lee Smith siting I saw in all the all-22

Yes I agree with you though. Just thought I'd throw it in. My guess is he isn't a real target out there. Ha

Edited by Mango

I disagree with the quicker reads than last week. While this might (and hopefully) turns out to be true down the line. The reads last week where fine, it was the delivery and drops that killed the team. Also willingness to stand in the pocket? EJ was hit 16 times and sacked 2 twice. Not hijacking the thread into an EJ/Orton argument. Just saying sometimes people say these things that are blatantly false. I really don't get it at all, I think people just like to believe they are right rather than be actually informed. The reads where quick and correct last week, the delivery was the issue. Orton did a better job there, and that was about it. He left some plays out there, didn't make too many mistakes, and operated the offense more opportunistically than EJ did. The offense was better but only a little bit in my opinion, which should carry about as much weight as Jeremy White's

Overall, I agree with your comment that sometimes people prefer to be right than accurate/informed, and that the real issue is delivery (accuracy?)

I'm not sure that "quicker reads" is the right term; what I have seen from EJ is that sometimes he'll feel pressure and go with what he sees, when if he could hang on just a bit longer someone would come open. Perhaps that's what you mean by "more opportunistically?"

One comment I thought interesting was Watkins that Orton demanded what he wanted of them as far as route running.

I couldn't help noticing that Brady had enough time to dial up Jimmy Johns, accept delivery, and eat a bite back there. It would help any QB if our line gave them more time.

Lee Smith stinks. His 1-2 penalties a game offshoot any decent blocking. The Bills should all but abandon the two TE set and the fullback, spread the field, always have three or four WR in, and get Fred and CJ into more space, as well as let the vet QB use the four talented young WR to make plays, even in a short passing game for the most part.

Amen. I have assumed so far that the reluctance to line up in more spread formations was to protect EJ. I am hoping that Hackett will be more aggressive with Orton. Running up the middle with either back from that power formation is simply not working with the subpar guard play they are getting. The running game will be much better out of the spread and the offensive will be more explosive. It was every time they used it against Detroit. It is definitely the way to attack the Pats.

I disagree with the quicker reads than last week. While this might (and hopefully) turns out to be true down the line. The reads last week where fine, it was the delivery and drops that killed the team. Also willingness to stand in the pocket? EJ was hit 16 times and sacked 2 twice. Not hijacking the thread into an EJ/Orton argument. Just saying sometimes people say these things that are blatantly false. I really don't get it at all, I think people just like to believe they are right rather than be actually informed. The reads where quick and correct last week, the delivery was the issue. Orton did a better job there, and that was about it. He left some plays out there, didn't make too many mistakes, and operated the offense more opportunistically than EJ did. The offense was better but only a little bit in my opinion, which should carry about as much weight as Jeremy White's

> I disagree with the quicker reads than last week.

There were a number of times against Houston when Manuel was very quick to go to his dump-off option. In that sense, I agree that the reads were not necessarily quicker this week than last week.

> The reads last week where fine,

And here is where we disagree. Manuel's reads against Houston weren't remotely close to being "fine." He was clearly unable to process information quickly enough to identify open receivers. People have posted screen shots of open WRs Manuel should have targeted, while also showing the dump-off options or covered WRs he did target. Nor was he very good at telling the difference between plays when he could get away with standing in the pocket a little, versus plays when he had to dump it off quickly due to bad pass protection.

> Not hijacking the thread into an EJ/Orton argument.

No, of course not. Nothing about your post, your signature, or any previous threads I've seen on this board remotely suggests the possibility of a hijacking. :P

Except Jeremy White actually makes an argument with evidence as to why he believes "Orton gives the Bills offense a quicker read of the defense, more accurately placed throws, and a willingness to stand in longer, rather than take the first thing that might be available".

You, on the other hand, simpy say... he's wrong. No, wait, you say he's saying "things that are blatantly false". You offer nothing to convince anyone that they didn't see what they thought they saw both in week 4 and week 5 at QB. So, really, your opinion doesn't carry the same weight as White's in this instance. It's weightless, actually.

And, no, you weren't trying to hijack this into an EJ vs. Orton thread.....oy.

I think what he was saying, and does actually say, is that he watched the film and saw what many of us have been seeing and talking about - its not that EJ didnt make the right reads, or stand in the pocket, he WAS doing those things...the kid just cant throw a football anywhere near his targets....theres no stats or numbers or arguments to be made....it IS evident on the all22 film, did you watch it??

What the guy posted is a great contribution and its not hijacking the thread at all

Some of what Jeremy White makes sense and rings true, and we are all appreciative of his hard work in putting this together....but some of us also watch the all22, and happen to disagree with White in the regard that he thinks Orton "reads the defense quicker" and "stands in the pocket longer"...what Orton DEFINITELY brought, because his teammates have said so, was a confident demeanor that many veteran QBs have and our offense picked up on, hence everyone playing better around him, and after the pick 6, much more accurate throws/taking chances than EJ can even dream of right now

You can disagree or agree, but you shouldn't have to try to make other posters feel like a$$holes for voicing their own opinions about the topic (snide/sarcastic comments at the end of your post)