Goodwin did not step out at the 4 yard line

I have photographic proof that Goodwin never stepped out of bounds at the 4 yard line on the long throw from Orton. Not only did the refs screw up the spot but Marrone or whoever is responsible missed throwing the review flag. Grant it it all worked out in the end but considering our run game Sunday being 4 yards from a TD is a lot worse than being 1 yard away.

good1

good2

As you can see both steps Goodwin took were inbounds. What is the rule when you land out of bounds but beyond the goal line? Spot at the one? We dodged a bullet here.

I am of the opinion that they knew he didn't step out and chose not to challenge it. First of all, it was clearly shown on the replay that he was in. Second, the Lions called a timeout so they had even longer to see this replay which was clear. So, why didn't they challenge then? That's a great question. I believe that the Bills wanted no chance for the referees to screw us and say that it was an incomplete pass after he lost the ball. It was clear to me that he took 3 or 4 steps with control, but with the way the calls were going that game, I don't think they wanted to take even the slightest chance of getting f'd over.

1) I was puzzled by this, as well. It was so obvious too. I went back and re-watched it, and the ref is standing right there, looking at Goodwin's feet. A terrible call by the refs.

2) There was no risk of that getting overturned as a fumble/drop. He caught it and took something like 4 steps, before going out of bounds.

He is credited with a fumble. When did he start to lose control of the ball? You can't advance the ball with a fumble.

^ This ^

I hear you to some degree, mrags, but he caught the ball at the 10 and took three strides before he started to lose it at about the four...at worst a catch and then a fumble, out of bounds.

That was the call, he fumbled out of bounds but you can fumble out of bounds and gain yardage. It was spotted where the official ruled the fumble began.

They didn't challenge because Glasswin didn't hold into the ball and it might not have even been a catch.

Goodwin actually did hold it.....but I see why you thought that and had to go back and look at it.....Goodwin caught it......made the reception....then pushed the ball away from his body with an attitude.

Its not the first time he has done this.....Goodwin has always had a little tude about him.....but he did catch that ball

I thought it was a questionable catch to begin with, especially the angle facing Goodwin's front in slo-mo. It could have very well been ruled an incompletion based on many other BS no-catch calls of the last few years. The refs want to see complete control. It looked as if the Bills wanted to get a snap off as quickly as possible to prevent a challenge and to not lose the huge gain. Caldwell had to waste a timout, though I think he should have just challenged it. Glad he didn't.

I think they ruled it was a fumble and you cannot advance your own fumble near the goalline. The Dave Casper rule. So they moved it back to where he had it and started to lose it.

Did they ever say that on TV? Never heard a word.

I think they ruled it was a fumble and you cannot advance your own fumble near the goalline. The Dave Casper rule. So they moved it back to where he had it and started to lose it.

Pretty sure the "Dave Casper Rule" only applies on 4th down or inside the two minute warning.

I am of the opinion that they knew he didn't step out and chose not to challenge it. First of all, it was clearly shown on the replay that he was in. Second, the Lions called a timeout so they had even longer to see this replay which was clear. So, why didn't they challenge then? That's a great question. I believe that the Bills wanted no chance for the referees to screw us and say that it was an incomplete pass after he lost the ball. It was clear to me that he took 3 or 4 steps with control, but with the way the calls were going that game, I don't think they wanted to take even the slightest chance of getting f'd over.

Agreed. Hate to give Marrone, et al credit for thinking that deeply about it in the span of about 5 seconds, but hey we won so the coaching must have been just that awesome :)

Pretty sure the "Dave Casper Rule" only applies on 4th down or inside the two minute warning.

You're right.

The actual rule from the rulebook is "A fumble that goes forward and out of bounds will return to the fumbling team at the spot of the fumble unless the ball goes out of bounds in the opponent’s end zone. In this case, it is a touchback."

They didn't challenge because Glasswin didn't hold into the ball and it might not have even been a catch.

That's what I thought too - I was yelling "Run another play!!" and they even cut to Caldwell with his hand on HIS red flag.

Thanks for the explanation TBD! :beer: