Goodwin did not step out at the 4 yard line

You're right.

The actual rule from the rulebook is "A fumble that goes forward and out of bounds will return to the fumbling team at the spot of the fumble unless the ball goes out of bounds in the opponent’s end zone. In this case, it is a touchback."

Actually, I thought the rule was that, inside two minutes, only the player who fumbled the ball is allowed to advance it. If a different offensive player recovers the fumble, the point of recovery is where the ball is spotted.

Actually, I thought the rule was that, inside two minutes, only the player who fumbled the ball is allowed to advance it. If a different offensive player recovers the fumble, the point of recovery is where the ball is spotted.

It is. The out of bounds fumble rule is a different rule.

I assume it is a rule to stop a player from shoving the ball out of bounds in front of the first down marker when he is behind it, or just getting a cheap extra couple yards fumbling it out of bounds in front of him.

I assume it is a rule to stop a player from shoving the ball out of bounds in front of the first down marker when he is behind it, or just getting a cheap extra couple yards fumbling it out of bounds in front of him.

But isn't an "intentional fumble" also a penalty anyway? NFL rulebook gives me a headache.

I think its after this play that the Bills were ready at the line and the Lions were still changing players. I was screaming at Orton to hike the ball as it would be too many men on the field. This is where Brady and Manning are better than the rest of the league. Especially Brady. He would have never missed that opportunity.

Ah, got it. Thanks for the clarification.

I have photographic proof that Goodwin never stepped out of bounds at the 4 yard line on the long throw from Orton. Not only did the refs screw up the spot but Marrone or whoever is responsible missed throwing the review flag. Grant it it all worked out in the end but considering our run game Sunday being 4 yards from a TD is a lot worse than being 1 yard away.

As you can see both steps Goodwin took were inbounds. What is the rule when you land out of bounds but beyond the goal line? Spot at the one? We dodged a bullet here.

I wondered at the time why they spotted the ball, even on my computer screen i could he didn't go out until inside the 2 yard line.

They didn't challenge because Glasswin didn't hold into the ball and it might not have even been a catch.

When you challenge the spot of the ball you are not challenging the catch.And the catch cannot be reversed under such challenge.

Open your drapes. You might find some sunshine out there you old nutbucket :nana:

I thought it was a questionable catch to begin with, especially the angle facing Goodwin's front in slo-mo. It could have very well been ruled an incompletion based on many other BS no-catch calls of the last few years. The refs want to see complete control. It looked as if the Bills wanted to get a snap off as quickly as possible to prevent a challenge and to not lose the huge gain. Caldwell had to waste a timout, though I think he should have just challenged it. Glad he didn't.

So the Bills were smart to move the play along ? Is That what you are saying Mountain ?

Because thats what i am hearing here. Marrone was smart to keep it rolling

No the announcers suck these days. I swear they do no research on the team they are about to broadcast for

Ronde Barber was awful yesterday

Ronde barber and that old guy were the best so far this year . even when they messed a name up they apologised. That was the best coverage i have heard all year

That's what I thought too - I was yelling "Run another play!!" and they even cut to Caldwell with his hand on HIS red flag.

Thanks for the explanation TBD! :beer:

I did not see that.

wowsers