Howard University Logo

Just wondering if anyone knows the story of the similarities between the logos of the Bills and Howard University?

Howard has been around since 1893, so it would appear that the Bills lifted the logo from them when they ash-canned the old standing buffalo logo in the early '70s.

Anyone know the story of how the current logo came to be?

post-2416-0-21599500-1412466926_thumb.jpg

Just wondering if anyone knows the story of the similarities between the logos of the Bills and Howard University?

Howard has been around since 1893, so it would appear that the Bills lifted the logo from them when they ash-canned the old standing buffalo logo in the early '70s.

Anyone know the story of how the current logo came to be?

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/92155-origin-of-bills-charging-logo/

From the above; read more at link:

Today's Buffalo News has an article noting the passing of Stevens Wright, credited with creating the Bills' charging bison logo which debuted in 1974. The article says Wright, who had worked as a free-lance artist for NFL Properties, came up with the logo on his own.

However, Howard University, whose nickname is the Bison and whose logo is virtually identical to the Bills', claim the logo was created for them by a Howard art major in the 60s. Because they didn't copyright their logo, the Bills were able to take it for themselves.

http://boards.sports...-charging-logo/

Today's Buffalo News has an article noting the passing of Stevens Wright, credited with creating the Bills' charging bison logo which debuted in 1974. The article says Wright, who had worked as a free-lance artist for NFL Properties, came up with the logo on his own.

However, Howard University, whose nickname is the Bison and whose logo is virtually identical to the Bills', claim the logo was created for them by a Howard art major in the 60s. Because they didn't copyright their logo, the Bills were able to take it for themselves.

The BN article is sourced and provides more accurate information then a college newspaper and some undergrad getting a retelling of the history for a facilities worker.

I am incline to think that the Bills had the logo first and trademarked it but allowed Howard to keep using it.

This has been talked about before. But, seeing as 1) you posted this (a member who I respect) and 2) I don't know the answer, I'm interested to know the origins.

Respect right back 'atcha :thumbsup:

The BN article is sourced and provides more accurate information then a college newspaper and some undergrad getting a retelling of the history for a facilities worker.

I am incline to think that the Bills had the logo first and trademarked it but allowed Howard to keep using it.

Thanks for the info, you're inclination makes sense to me.

I don't know "legalese", but I was in a fish market in Hanalei, Kauai the day the sale was announced & there was a Bills fan who was there & excited about the news & had to show me his Charging Buffalo, tattooed on his right cheek, his butt cheek. Could he be sued?

This has been talked about many times here and gets heated in arguments.

I was under the impression that Howard first designed it but never copywrited it. Ralph and the local artist copyrighted and now let Howard use it for free. Go figure... There are threads out there, probably archived... But it seems Ralph is the one who took it from Howard.

This has been talked about many times here and gets heated in arguments.

I was under the impression that Howard first designed it but never copywrited it. Ralph and the local artist copyrighted and now let Howard use it for free. Go figure... There are threads out there, probably archived... But it seems Ralph is the one who took it from Howard.

It would need to be trademarked, not copyrighted.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/92155-origin-of-bills-charging-logo/

^^^THIS^^^

It was Howard's first but they weren't savy enough to protect it... Especially in a rapidly changing society. Only Ralph/Wright would know for sure... But guess what, the secret is most likely buried with him and Wright.

It would need to be trademarked, not copyrighted.

Ooops.

As you can tell I am not too up on what is what.

Yea, one day I flipped on ESPN and Howard football was on national TV.. It was probably a Wednesday night, when Historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs) can get on national TV. I was blown away to see the Bills logo on their helmets.

Yikes, not this again!

I'm not sure who first designed this logo but I'm guessing it really was Wright. It seems Howard's only been using their charging buffalo logo since 2002. We've been using a charging buffalo since '74.

Here's a photo of Howard's prior logo (this pic is from 1996):

1027635.TIF.jpg

#32 is Howard running back, Aray Williams.

(http://www.washingto...ry.html#photo=4)

Wright's daughter said this: “As an artist, he considered this his greatest accomplishment. He told me that the legacy he left behind was the Bills logo, that he left a footprint for the world."

(http://www.buffalone...chievement.html)

It's hard to believe Wright would have been so proud of it had he simply copied it from some kid at Howard.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Yikes, not this again!

I'm not sure who first designed this logo but I'm guessing it really was Wright. It seems Howard's only been using their charging buffalo logo since 2002. We've been using a charging buffalo since '74.

Here's a photo of Howard's prior logo (this pic is from 1996):

1027635.TIF.jpg

#32 is Howard running back, Aray Williams.

(http://www.washingto...ry.html#photo=4)

Wright's daughter said this: “As an artist, he considered this his greatest accomplishment. He told me that the legacy he left behind was the Bills logo, that he left a footprint for the world."

(http://www.buffalone...chievement.html)

It's hard to believe Wright would have been so proud of it had he simply copied it from some kid at Howard.

I graduate Sweet Home High in 75 and and went to Howard University in DC. Howard had the charging Buffalo in 1975 when I got there. I remember thinking that no matter where I go I couldnt' get away from the Buffalo. The color of the helmet was just blue and white, the red has been added. Years ago they wore the letters HU on the helmet and I thought they had the grazing Buffalo on the helmet for a few years as well. I just don't remember what years they transitioned to different helmets. I believed Howard followed the Bills lead regarding the helmet design.The picture above is actually Hampton University (not the real HU) their logo is the Pirates. Sweet Home and Howard, proud to be alumnus of both...Go Bills!!!

Edited by VADC Bills

I graduate Sweet Home High in 75 and and went to Howard University in DC. Howard had the charging Buffalo in 1975 when I got there. I remember thinking that no matter where I go I couldnt' get away from the Buffalo. The color of the helmet was just blue and white, the red has been added. Years ago they wore the letters HU on the helmet and I thought they had the grazing Buffalo on the helmet for a few years as well. I just don't remember what years they transitioned to different helmets. I believed Howard followed the Bills lead regarding the helmet design.The picture above is actually Hampton University (not the real HU) their logo is the Pirates. Sweet Home and Howard, proud to be alumnus of both...Go Bills!!!

Good info. I stand corrected. The photo and caption comes from a Washington Post article, "A look back at Howard University's homecomings." But I'll trust your personal, first-hand experience.

It's hard now not to wonder if Wright plagiarized it.

Hondo is right... Yikes, not this thread again. I was on the opposite side and dug up some stuff showing the design was Howard's but they didn't protect it. IMO, Wright and NFL properties swooped down on it with Wright taking the credit. Somebody really should dig up those archived threads, I really don't have the energy to find those links again. I believe it was designed by a Howard art student.