Keith Rivers just stood there as he rolled to a first down

If I remember the play correctly in my head, I don't think either defender was really close enough to immediately touch him anyway. Not sure they could have touching him before he rolled forward. Very heady play on his part and unfortunately for us.

It was a dumb play for sure, the kind of mental mistakes that lose games. And I had forgotten about it until I saw this thread but at the time I was yelling at the TV somebody touch the guy.

The Bills ended up getting the ball back with 1:42 left at their 29. If anybody would have 'tagged' Foster down they would have gotten the ball back with around 2:50 left with one timeout and the 2 minute warning to stop the clock. That would have removed some of the constraints the Bills offense was forced to operate under in that specific situation. But the way the offense was playing I don't have much confidence the outcome would have been any different. They blew the opportunity to break the game open with the pick-6 play. 14-10 instead of 17-7 which should have been enough to win it.

Except it wasn't. We got the ball back with plenty of time, and lost because EJ threw a bad pick.

It still was a very bad play on Rivers part. It would have forced the Texans to punt and I believe it would have saved a timeout. You expect players to make physical mistakes at times but mental ones are pretty much inexcusable.

Ehh be careful there. They punt there, we're only down 3 and EJ never throws that pass. And you're talking to one of the biggest EJ critics on this site.

It was already a six-point game, and, yes, they did punt...one minute later (game clock). Instead of getting the ball back with about 2 1/2 minutes left, we got it back with 1:42 to go.

It was a huge play and it caused me to yell out a naughty word in public.

Edited by Kaz

Also, when he did finally make contact, the ref's blew it. He was a good half yard short of the line to gain and it should have been 4th down, or Marrone should have challenged the spot. It was clearly short.

They almost never overturn plays where the coach challanges the spot of the ball. And Marrone has an awful record on challenging calls... he had one successful challange this past Sunday (I cant even recall what it was now), but I think that was the first one in a long, long, long time...

It was a bonehead play. I think defenders are probably wary to dive at guys on the ground because if they had been touched down you can bet there's another 15 coming. Still no excuse. I don't think it was a lack of effort as much as a brain fart. Hope the coaches hammered on it and he learned from it.

They almost never overturn plays where the coach challanges the spot of the ball. And Marrone has an awful record on challenging calls... he had one successful challange this past Sunday (I cant even recall what it was now), but I think that was the first one in a long, long, long time...

Still should have challenged it. If you have a chance, watch it again. It's pretty clear he was short. He would have won that one.

Still should have challenged it. If you have a chance, watch it again. It's pretty clear he was short. He would have won that one.

I'm not 100% on the way the situation but wouldn't the worst case be losing the timeout we were about to use anyway

wasnt there another defender near him? all they had to do was touch him with two hands.

all they had to do was touch him with their pinkie finger let alone 2 hands.... i tossed my bottled water across the room when i saw him roll for that extra yardage as the 2 Bills defenders literally just stood there looking demoralized

Except it wasn't. We got the ball back with plenty of time, and lost because EJ threw a bad pick.

Agreed. Thought letting Fitz run for those first downs cost us some significant time. EJ made two bad plays. I think they had enough time at the end to not have to make that play. The worst thing was the Bills did not try running the ball in the 2nd quarter and put the ball in Manuels hands and he was not up to it