J Byrd 2014

Kirby Jackson

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's pretty funny. Everyone was talking junk to me down here after the Saints signed him. I said, "he isn't good against the run and is a step slow over the top. He has good instincts and is smart but he's not Earl Thomas." Byrd is good but not great. He has some physical limitations. Aaron Williams will be the better player IMO. AW does everything well. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Wow. I didn't understand the signing for NO then and it looks worse now. Not because Byrd isn't worth what a team is willing to pay him, but because of the +/- that went into the decision on players. The saints could very well turn it around as their division is wide open, but unless they have home field through the playoffs, if they do make it, they will be on the same spot they were last year and stuck with that massive contract.

Their defense was painful to watch the other night. There are HS teams that tackle better.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Wow. I didn't understand the signing for NO then and it looks worse now. Not because Byrd isn't worth what a team is willing to pay him, but because of the +/- that went into the decision on players. The saints could very well turn it around as their division is wide open, but unless they have home field through the playoffs, if they do make it, they will be on the same spot they were last year and stuck with that massive contract.

Their defense was painful to watch the other night. There are HS teams that tackle better.

jenkins and harper rated out as one of the worst safety duos in the league and sproles is a 31 year old back that didnt have a good season last year. moore (and sproles really) was replaced by cooks. we had these same talks back in march - i dont think saints fans are upset at all that harper and jenkins are gone - even if they have played well for 4 weeks.

even without byrd you mightve seen all those moves.

Edited by NoSaint

jenkins and harper rated out as one of the worst safety duos in the league and sproles is a 31 year old back that didnt have a good season last year. moore (and sproles really) was replaced by cooks. we had these same talks back in march - i dont think saints fans are upset at all that harper and jenkins are gone - even if they have played well for 4 weeks.

even without byrd you mightve seen all those moves.

Especially Harper!!! Roman Harper is to the Saints as Chris Watson was to the Bills.

Their defense looked better last year. Maybe it's a coaching issue, since the guys they let go suddenly look good.

the guys they let go have struggled under multiple coordinators. roman harper is slow for a linebacker. him having a big play (td) doesnt equate to him playing good suddenly. he had big plays here occasionally too, but at the expense of giving them up often.

The Saints Let Go Of A Bunch Of Players To Sign A $54-Million Free Agent, And It's Coming Back To Haunt Them: https://finance.yaho...-195900134.html

The New Orleans Saints went into free agency in March with virtually no cap room.

They came out of free agency with the consensus No. 1 free agent, Buffalo Bills safety Jairus Byrd, who they signed on a six-year, $54-million contract.

They were able to pull this off because of two things: 1) they backloaded the money in Byrd's contract, which could be crippling down the line, but lets them stay under the salary cap this year, and 2) they traded, cut, or let a number of role players leave in free agency.