J Byrd 2014

Kirby Jackson

So it's "probably" from PF based on that? I thought the PF was fake though? So much to keep track of here. If his PF caused this, it sure would be hard to blame him for sitting part of last year.... Hard to keep track of the conflicting reasons to be mad at him

Nfl bloodlines seem to influence of 2 directions:

1) old school tough guy

2) chewed up and spit out and realize it's a business where you have to look out for you first

I'm not seeing the issue here. Byrd has a medical issue that can lead to knee injuries, and he had a knee injury. If anything this is a vindication of our medical staff. Also, thank you for putting words into my mouth.

Edited by Fingon

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 1st time that I mentioned that on here I got RIPPED for "spreading unsubstantiated rumors." What I've been told is that it comes from his dad. His dad always questioned the doctors' diagnosis and asked for further testing. His dad also used to make him constantly request other opinions. He would then have Jairus stay out longer than the doctors' thought was necessary. It used to really bother the medical staff.

And, I'll be the fifth or so here to say that I was told the same thing about him being diva like about this.

I wish he didn't get hurt - and just continued to suck the rest of the year!

I'm not seeing the issue here. Byrd has a medical issue that can lead to knee injuries, and he had a knee injury. If anything this is a vindication of our medical staff. Also, thank you for putting words into my mouth.

I put no words in your mouth. i simply thought that your characterization was overstated as are the many others stated around here - they strongly contradict each other, are casually each passed off as likely if not factual, and the only thing they have in common is go bills boo Byrd. The guy has played hard in buffalo, played injured in buffalo, and played out his full rookie contract without a peep. Once the tag came around he was unhappy not being a free agent - so be it. We see guys draw the line long before that often.

My main complaint is that the bills were unable to trade him and get some compensation a la peerless price. I think Whaleys inexperience cost us a draft pick

i posted above how he was virtually untradeable due to several circumstances surrounding his situation. Sure it would have been nice to get a draft pick, but inexperience at GM likely had nothing to do with it not happening.

i posted above how he was virtually untradeable due to several circumstances surrounding his situation. Sure it would have been nice to get a draft pick, but inexperience at GM likely had nothing to do with it not happening.

Inexperience at fandom has a lot to do with myths being perpetuated.

I have nothing against Byrd and from watching saints D he isn't the only one playing poorly but thought this was Interesting from Kaplan

@caplannfl: Jairus Byrd is quickly becoming one of the worst free agent signings this season: Played poorly before injury. $18.3 M fully guaranteed.

And it might not work out for NO in the future either. We've seen Gronk after one-too-many surgeries become a shadow of his former self. Maybe, just maybe Whaley and our own FO saw the writing on the wall wrt Mr. Byrd and would not go higher than their perceived and calculated value for him.

I'm not saying that Byrd is washed up, but he may NEVER again be perceived as an elite NFL Safety for his current play... ever.

Bills likely looked 2-3 years down road and felt Byrd and AW would be headed in different directions in career arc and $ better spent on AW.

I have nothing against Byrd and from watching saints D he isn't the only one playing poorly but thought this was Interesting from Kaplan

@caplannfl: Jairus Byrd is quickly becoming one of the worst free agent signings this season: Played poorly before injury. $18.3 M fully guaranteed.

Bills likely looked 2-3 years down road and felt Byrd and AW would be headed in different directions in career arc and $ better spent on AW.

One of the worst FA signings? How cannot it not be the worst at this point?

Byrd's 40 @ the combine was slower than most linebackers. There wasn't any slack for him to slip physically and still be a top player. Add that to his injury history and turning 28 this year, and Bills wisely passed on paying him what he wanted.

What FA signing could possible be worse? In terms of money spent and production?

He's a month into the deal.... So there's that....

Maybe one day he will qualify but it seems more than a little early to declare that. Especially given some awful transactions that fully played out

Edited by NoSaint

A good call by the Bills. I remember when the Steelers signed A. Brown long term, bascially signaling that they would not sign Mike Wallace. Many thought it was foolish. A. Brown looks like the best receiver in the NFL now. Not sure if Whaley was with the Steelers then, but this signing of Williams over Byrd was a very good one.

One of the worst FA signings? How cannot it not be the worst at this point?

Byrd's 40 @ the combine was slower than most linebackers. There wasn't any slack for him to slip physically and still be a top player. Add that to his injury history and turning 28 this year, and Bills wisely passed on paying him what he wanted.

didn't realize his 40 was so slow. Crazy for the Saints to pay him 18 million guaranteed. He's not physical and he's slow? What was his 40?

A good call by the Bills. I remember when the Steelers signed A. Brown long term, bascially signaling that they would not sign Mike Wallace. Many thought it was foolish. A. Brown looks like the best receiver in the NFL now. Not sure if Whaley was with the Steelers then, but this signing of Williams over Byrd was a very good one.

didn't realize his 40 was so slow. Crazy for the Saints to pay him 18 million guaranteed. He's not physical and he's slow? What was his 40?

http://www.strongright.com/jairus-byrd-mx-2235-16852.php

My main complaint is that the bills were unable to trade him and get some compensation a la peerless price. I think Whaleys inexperience cost us a draft pick

Price trade was rare. How often have you seen that done since? Why would someone give a pick for Byrd when he was about to become an UFA?

Maybe one day he will qualify but it seems more than a little early to declare that. Especially given some awful transactions that fully played out

True, but he was one of the worst safeties in the NFL in that month. Whether he would have improved is anyone's guess, but now we'll never know.

Albert Haynesworth

This season.

he said worst this year, so none have fully played out. But so far this year, has to be the worst when you factor in performance, money and availability. They got one win while he was playing.