EJ is a coach killer

JohninMinn.

Nicely summed up. The best he's done is to rise to the level of adequate. Then everyone is excited: "He's adequate! He's adequate!!" EJ apologists point to a game here, a half here, but this qb has never, not once, flashed greatness or even above-averageness. He's a mediocrity with only the slimmest chance of developing into a very good quarterback. The only question now is when the front office will move on. Given the politics, the answer should be after the season. Worst-case scenario: the "it's too early to judge him!" or "It's his line! And WRs! and...and" sentiment will prevail and we'll be having the same exchanges about his ineptitude for another season, with Promo the Robot intoning that it's too early to judge him. Give him another three seasons.

God, it sucks being a Bills fan.

Indeed it does

EJ is beginning to look an awful lot like Jason Campbell. EJ played like a scared QB all day. I have been EJ's corner the whole time but I now have to admit he is not going to be the answer. He is slow to process whether he is looking for an open receiver or needing to get out of the pocket. It takes him longer to see it. The coaches need to run him on bootlegs and traditional screens. The Texans were stunting up the middle all day. Bootlegs would have given him more time. I would expect a new QB to come in and compete for a starting spot next year whether via the draft or FA.

I think it's just the opposite, Hackett is a QB killer. EJ is being coached to play scared. Our offense as a whole is simple, predictable and comletely ingnorant of the palyers strengths.

The defesnes have figured it out and are playing within 15 yds of the LOS. So, yeah, EJ looks bad at times, the WR are dropping balls, and the RBs are less productive. But how many times is EJ throwing the ball a split second before he's hit? How many of the WRs are have a defender in their back pocket while trying to catch the ball? How many times do EJ or Fred get hit at the line ans have to make someone miss, just to get positive yards?

Four weeks in and the league has figured this offense out. And it shows on the field. So while everyone wants to talk about various players not executing or wish we coulda had this guy, the big point is being lost. And that point is that we have college coaches installing a basic college offense and the NFL is eating them up.

Manuel isn't accurate on basic throws. Throws that an NFL QB needs to routinely make. Nor was his accuracy as a college QB anything to write home about. Any offensive coordinator is going to look bad when his quarterback can't even complete throws like those.

That's not to suggest that Hackett is the next Bill Walsh. On the contrary: Hackett's offenses are about unimaginative and predictable as could be. Does Hackett need to be replaced? Yes, absolutely. But it isn't Hackett's fault that Manuel isn't even displaying the level of accuracy I'd expect from a competent backup. Replacing the offensive coordinator isn't going to change Manuel into something he's not. It's very likely that Manuel will never be an accurate QB, and will never be a QB who makes multiple reads before taking the check-down.

So here's a very serious question. Take EJ out, put in Orton, same offense. Do you see a significant difference or does it more clearly show the flaws in Hacketts system?

Any decent coach would have pulled EJ in the middle of the 3rd quarter for at least a series or two. We needed a change but everybody is so freaked out about EJ's psyche they're afraid to make an obvious and much needed qb change. If Orton moves the ball well it helps the team. THE TEAM. If Orton can't provide a spark it lets EJ know it's not all his fault (which may give him more confidence), and reminds him that nobody's job is safe on our squad.

I don't think we were outcoached. Both teams stunk, just trading turnovers and punts. We got lucky on broken coverage on the long TD, they got lucky on a freak play by Watt. Other than that, the second half was two teams with two mediocre QBs making lots of errors. We out-errored them.

The coaches are doing something right because receivers are always open in this offense. The coaches can't throw the ball, though.

The coaches are doing something right because receivers are always open in this offense. The coaches can't throw the ball, though.

People also forget that the game plan was miraculously different as soon as Tuel and Lewis were pressed into the lineup.

For his own good, EJ needs to sit for a while.

I don't think we were outcoached. Both teams stunk, just trading turnovers and punts. We got lucky on broken coverage on the long TD, they got lucky on a freak play by Watt. Other than that, the second half was two teams with two mediocre QBs making lots of errors. We out-errored them.

Yep.

Last year, after Tuel threw the horrendous pick 6 against KC, he was benched immediately. So it should be with EJ and his throw to Watt. He was just tossing it to Fred....didn't comprehend a defender could be there....same mistake Tuel made a year ago. I would approve of the same treatment....put EJ on the bench tothink about things for a couple of games, and lets see if Orton can move the club. EJ can't.....we know that now. Offense is a mess, I wonder if Marrone wanted to do this, Whaley would intercede on behalf of his QB........

We are spending $5 mil for Orton, lets use him....

Edited by bigK14094

For his own good, EJ needs to sit for a while.

Has it ever happened this way though? Has a "QB of the future" been named starter for his 1st and 2nd seasons (excluding those who had to play due to injuries), benched for 1-2 years, and came back to be decent? The way I see it, once you anoint him the starter, it's kind of hard to go backwards.

Has it ever happened this way though? Has a "QB of the future" been named starter for his 1st and 2nd seasons (excluding those who had to play due to injuries), benched for 1-2 years, and came back to be decent? The way I see it, once you anoint him the starter, it's kind of hard to go backwards.

He backed into the starter role last year and had no competition. I keep harping on the lack of respect, because he has never won the job outright. He was anointed, despite being a major project, and now we're seeing the results. Bills need to go to their original plan and have EJ win the job back.

He backed into the starter role last year and had no competition. I keep harping on the lack of respect, because he has never won the job outright. He was anointed, despite being a major project, and now we're seeing the results. Bills need to go to their original plan and have EJ win the job back.

To me, the lack of competition has been the biggest mistake by the front office. It seems like a college mentality toward the qb's rather than professional.

Orton is just a back up

But he is an NFL backup QB who has shown he can win in this league. The only thing EJ does well is interview apparently.

It seems to me that Marrone is being stubborn about this. He wants to show how his great coaching will put EJ in a position to succeed. He'll be nasty this week and point to breakdowns and drops, but everyone outside OBD can see that his QB just doesn't deserve to be on the field.

He looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane.

Unfortunately, it's almost time for the most exciting part of being a Bills fan and that's talk of who our next HC and QB are going to be. It's not even October yet and I'm already in college football draft mode.

I want Connor Cook.