Chargers All-22

YoloinOhio

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are 5 Vines from the last game that highlight his accuracy issues. In each clip the OL holds up nicely and gives him time to throw. He stands tall in the pocket, makes the correct reads, finds the open man, and then....then....he just misfires. His inconsistent play didn't just start last week either. I can excuse a young QB for not picking up a blitz, for not seeing an open receiver, or for not reading a coverage correctly. But when you do all the aforementioned correctly and simply can't throw a football accurately, well I'm just not sure that's an easily correctable part of a QB's skill set.

https://vine.co/u/1126081375733444608

First pass got to Sammy, but was so wobbly EJ either lost control of it while throwing, or the wind took it. The 2nd one was a deep pass that EJ overthrew. The 3rd one looked so weird, the the wind must have taken it. The 4th one, Sammy wasn't even looking for it. And the 5th one was to Sammy and he should have pulled it in.

This is how I feel about EJ. I see enough good out of him that makes me think one day it could all just click and he becomes a great player but he has a way to go and lots of areas to improve.

I see no reason to give up on him yet. I think he needs to play with more confidence and trust his arm and reads. He was rattled sunday, hopefully that is an aberration and not a trend.

It is important to note that last year, his two worst games (Pittsburgh and Tampa) he played very well the following week (Jets and Jags). He hasn't put together multiple bad games in a row which to me is a good sign.

Agree. I'm not laying money in him as "the answer," but I wouldn't rule him out either. Also of note from the Tampa game- the jags threw some of the same concepts that tripped him up and he handled them well. So its not like this game proves he's suddenly been figured out -simply that he didn't get it done this week. We will see about next

Agree. I'm not laying money in him as "the answer," but I wouldn't rule him out either. Also of note from the Tampa game- the jags threw some of the same concepts that tripped him up and he handled them well. So its not like this game proves he's suddenly been figured out -simply that he didn't get it done this week. We will see about next

As I said in one of the other ubiquitous EJ threads, in many ways, the Houston game is much more of a barometer than the San Diego game. The performance last Sunday was almost predictable in retrospect: coming off a huge win after perhaps the most emotional week in team history. The entire team seemed flat coming out of the gate. Hell, the fans were a bit hung over as well. This week may tell us a lot.

GO BILLS!!!

As I said in one of the other ubiquitous EJ threads, in many ways, the Houston game is much more of a barometer than the San Diego game. The performance last Sunday was almost predictable in retrospect: coming off a huge win after perhaps the most emotional week in team history. The entire team seemed flat coming out of the gate. Hell, the fans were a bit hung over as well. This week may tell us a lot.

GO BILLS!!!

It's a good point. Let's see how he rebounds on the road.

EJ's not the only one that needs to respond. There were many players that had crap performances last Sunday.

GO BILLS!!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/fantasy-roto-arcade/wondering-what-happened-to-sammy-watkins--ej-manuel-happened--that-s-what-155456544.html

This writer (and his name isn't Rodak, Graham, or Sullivan) disagrees.

Manuel was plain dreadful throwing the simplest routes a QB is asked to throw in the NFL.

Absolutely. I'll be looking for a rebound from a lot of players.

...But if Pears wants to miss the plane, that's cool.

I hear that. Any chance Watt takes him lightly? Then again, they move him around so much, he'll be giving the entire OLine bad dreams this week.

GO BILLS!!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/fantasy-roto-arcade/wondering-what-happened-to-sammy-watkins--ej-manuel-happened--that-s-what-155456544.html

Manuel was plain dreadful throwing the simplest routes a QB is asked to throw in the NFL.

I don't recall k9 saying he played great- just that others were bad too

http://sports.yahoo....-155456544.html

I don't care if that writer is Shakespeare, there were many players that played poorly and they all need to rebound. Anyone with a clue that watched that game knows that's the case. If folks need to believe that EJ and ONLY EJ played poorly, then so be it. But it really indicates an ignorance that doesn't merit a response.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't recall k9 saying he played great- just that others were bad too

Hell, I might go as far as to say the bad play even begins with Manuel. But it didn't come close to ending with him, either.

GO BILLS!!!

well then it must be true.

Hard to run the ball when you're facing 8 in the box with a QB who won't attempt and/or can't complete intermediate to deep passes.

In 2011, Buffalo started 5-2 and hosted NYJ in Week 9. The Jets knew Buffalo's offense was built on Fitzpatrick making quick short throws, so they jammed their receivers at the LOS and disrupted that timing. The Bills went 1-8 the rest of the way (including that game) on the way to a 6-10 season.

We're already seeing a similar pattern this year. The blueprint for beating Buffalo was written on Sunday so long as Manuel refuses to attempt (and complete) intermediate or longer passes. Because he can't hurt you that way, teams are going to continue selling out to stop the run knowing he's incapable of making them pay through the air.

EJ is the key. The OL was bad, but the majority of the blame should be placed on the tentative QB, who it seems the team is losing faith in quickly.

For that 2011 season I saw things much differently. While at times opposing defenses did jam the line and take away that short / quick passing game. They didn't manage to do it all the time because Stevie found a way to to get open, and Fitz found a way to get him the ball. Not even Revis Island could cover Stevie all the time.

Alas, in all their frugality the Bills cut backup center Geoff Hangartener in preseason. So, when the bills played the NY Jets in week 9 and Eric Wood went out for the year, the Bills had no answer for a replacement center. The next few games were a comedy of errors trying to find someone who could do that job, and ultimately the Bills went on a 7 game losing slide. Remember that Dolphin game, as the Bills couldn't even get a decent snap from center all game. How embarrassing!!

Fitz and Stevie both suffered nasty injuries that year, and Fitz had broken ribs from the Redskin game. Gailey being the moron he was, kept playing Fitz because he had no adequate backup QB. I think what sunk Fitz the next season was the new QB coach messing with his mechanics for 2012.

Anyway, Gailey used to find a way to run the ball even when they stacked the box, as he would use that 4 WR spread offense, and Fitz would hand off out of the shotgun. The problem was Gailey couldn't stop calling pass plays, as soon as the bills were down by three points.

Hackett's problem is he keeps trying to max protect with some scrubs on that line, and it ain't never gonna work consistently, as Chandler and those OG's are nearly worthless at times. I think he is sometimes being over careful. you would think he would take some pages from Gailey's playbook, and spread things out with 3-4 WR's. Spiller or Fredex out on the perimeter along with Sammy would scare the hell out of defenses. Just make sure EJ gets the ball out in under 3 seconds.

The Chargers were so successful because they recognized the weakness in the Bills O line at the OG positions, and kept stunting. They only rushed with 4, but because of the confusion all that stunting caused they managed to get pressure in EJ's face so he couldn't step up in the pocket. After all the quickest way to the QB is right up the middle. Once a QB gets rattled in a game its difficult for him to regain confidence. Whats most concerning to me is the QB-receiver timing being so out of sync at times, its like they don't practice very much.

I yearn for a quality experienced NFL offensive coordinator.