we drafted EJ because he is a big, strong QB, right?

Tampa Bob

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the comments on Wilson is he's real good a sliding due to his baseball background.

EJ should watch film on Russell Wilson to kick start his QB skills into gear.

RIght now (to me), he looks like a back up.

Bad thowing accuracy - no zip on the ball - poor reading of the whole field - slow decision making.

(I know, I know....not enough games in to evaluate him yet!)

It's about picking your spots.

Exactly. EJ getting hurt in the Browns game was a direct result of him making a bad decision. It was bad and stupid because it was unnecessary. Lowering your shoulder or stretching out for a key first down is not always going to be unnecessary.

I'm getting real sick of the "just stay healthy" goal. Shouldn't the goal be "win and stay healthy?" I'd feel better about EJ if he scrambled into the end zone for a game-winner and took a hard hit than if he throws it out of bounds for a loss.

I don't want to agree with TB, but he has stumbled across an interesting point. One of EJ's greatest assets is his ability to run. Let's be honest, as a pocket passer he's pretty mediocre. If he can make teams pay with his legs he's likely to win a whole lot more games.

I get the idea of avoiding hits, but what's the point of drafting a dual threat QB if you're not going to take advantage of his strengths? Another way of putting it is who cares if he's healthy if he's not doing much to help you win.

Somehow other QBs like Kaepernick, Wilson, Newton, etc, can run without going on IR. Why can't Manwel? That hit in CLE was largely the result of hesitation and awkward evasion. If it was one bad play he could work on it. If he's so crippled that he has to eliminate a major strength from his game because he can't do it without getting broken, that's a big concern.

He slid early, but it's no big deal.

Regardless, I have seen enough and realize he is not "THE GUY" for us. I remember when Jim Kelly played his first game for the Bills - we lost to the Jets that day, but I remember watching him and thinking "this guy's got IT!"

Kelly was so refreshing. I remember Joe Dufek, Vince Ferragamo and Bruce Mathison - none of them had "IT" and it was readily apparent.

Then it was Todd Collins & AVP - nope - didn't have it.

The we signed Flutie & traded for Rob Johnson. Flutie was magic, but so small he scared the coaches. Johnson looked the part but was lacking. Flutie was very close to having "IT".

Then came Bledsoe but the game passed him by - the statue couldn't handle the rush up the middle. On to Kelly Holcomb & JP Losman - neither had it.

Then it was Trent Edwards and Fitz. Edwards was a shell of himself after getting concussed vs the Cards, came back & beat the Chargers and was never the same again - that was sad & weird. Fitz was a great guy, but to be honest he was approx 8-8 - best he could do, he didn't have it either.

Now we have EJ and we're ALL pulling for him - but he just doesn't have it. He aspires to the middle, he'll win some, and he'll lose too many to help the Bills win it all. He's just like Fitz, not as good as Flutie.

When I saw the following guys play, I knew they had "IT", even though some were on miserable teams - Kelly, Marino, Elway, Luck, Aikman, Peyton Manning - all were special, you could just tell. Around the same time we had Kelly, the Jets had O'Brien & Ryan, O'Brien wasn't bad, but he couldn't compare to Kelly. Eason was with the Pats - but even though he helped them to a Super Bowl - you could tell he wasn't in the same league. I NEVER worried about the Pats & Jets in the late 80's & early 90's. You had to worry about Marino - but because they never had a decent RB behind him, he was like, 5-17 against Kelly. The Bills were the best then.

Back to EJ, we can hope all we want, pull like hell for the guy, but do you honestly see the "IT" factor in the guy. And I don't mean how he handles himself - I know he's a good guy and has charisma; he's just not a great QB. We may get to 8-8 or 9-7, but I don't think we will be perennial winners with him. I hope the Bills keep their eyes open for someone with the "IT" factor, I am sure we'll be riding EJ until he's found. And the Bills will aspire to the middle, 8-8, #15 in your power rankings, 2nd place behind the Eastern Conf team with the best QB - Brady for now. By the way, does Tannehill scare you - not really; if he does it's because you really don't have faith in EJ. Geno Smith - nope. He's the same as EJ - will only do as well as the team around him. The Bills may do OK in the division this year because if you take away the QB's, the Bills have the best team/roster. Brady gives the Pats an edge and neither Tannehill nor Gino can help their teams enough.

Aspiring to the middle - that's what we have with EJ, Possible winning seasons, but not good enough because he doesn't have "IT" like Kelly, Marino, Elway, etc, etc.

I don't want to agree with TB, but he has stumbled across an interesting point. One of EJ's greatest assets is his ability to run. Let's be honest, as a pocket passer he's pretty mediocre. If he can make teams pay with his legs he's likely to win a whole lot more games.

I get the idea of avoiding hits, but what's the point of drafting a dual threat QB if you're not going to take advantage of his strengths? Another way of putting it is who cares if he's healthy if he's not doing much to help you win.

Somehow other QBs like Kaepernick, Wilson, Newton, etc, can run without going on IR. Why can't Manwel? That hit in CLE was largely the result of hesitation and awkward evasion. If it was one bad play he could work on it. If he's so crippled that he has to eliminate a major strength from his game because he can't do it without getting broken, that's a big concern.

Well said and thanks for going against your instincts and agreeing with me!

No matter what others say, there is no possible way that I can get myself to accept the fact that manuel slid because he is trying to avoid an injury and feel good about him as a leader of this team.

For me, that was one of the most pathetic plays I have seen in all my years of watching football and I don't need to see anything else from manuel because I am pretty sure that he will never be great. Great qbs just don't do that in their second year when they are trying to establish themselves as a leader and turn around a losing culture. This is tackle football for crying out loud and he is 240-250 pounds. I don't disagree with the concept of sliding...but there has to be nothing to lose by doing it. If there is a first down within reason, he needs to get it.

He slid early, but it's no big deal.

Regardless, I have seen enough and realize he is not "THE GUY" for us. I remember when Jim Kelly played his first game for the Bills - we lost to the Jets that day, but I remember watching him and thinking "this guy's got IT!"

Kelly was so refreshing. I remember Joe Dufek, Vince Ferragamo and Bruce Mathison - none of them had "IT" and it was readily apparent.

Then it was Todd Collins & AVP - nope - didn't have it.

The we signed Flutie & traded for Rob Johnson. Flutie was magic, but so small he scared the coaches. Johnson looked the part but was lacking. Flutie was very close to having "IT".

Then came Bledsoe but the game passed him by - the statue couldn't handle the rush up the middle. On to Kelly Holcomb & JP Losman - neither had it.

Then it was Trent Edwards and Fitz. Edwards was a shell of himself after getting concussed vs the Cards, came back & beat the Chargers and was never the same again - that was sad & weird. Fitz was a great guy, but to be honest he was approx 8-8 - best he could do, he didn't have it either.

Now we have EJ and we're ALL pulling for him - but he just doesn't have it. He aspires to the middle, he'll win some, and he'll lose too many to help the Bills win it all. He's just like Fitz, not as good as Flutie.

When I saw the following guys play, I knew they had "IT", even though some were on miserable teams - Kelly, Marino, Elway, Luck, Aikman, Peyton Manning - all were special, you could just tell. Around the same time we had Kelly, the Jets had O'Brien & Ryan, O'Brien wasn't bad, but he couldn't compare to Kelly. Eason was with the Pats - but even though he helped them to a Super Bowl - you could tell he wasn't in the same league. I NEVER worried about the Pats & Jets in the late 80's & early 90's. You had to worry about Marino - but because they never had a decent RB behind him, he was like, 5-17 against Kelly. The Bills were the best then.

Back to EJ, we can hope all we want, pull like hell for the guy, but do you honestly see the "IT" factor in the guy. And I don't mean how he handles himself - I know he's a good guy and has charisma; he's just not a great QB. We may get to 8-8 or 9-7, but I don't think we will be perennial winners with him. I hope the Bills keep their eyes open for someone with the "IT" factor, I am sure we'll be riding EJ until he's found. And the Bills will aspire to the middle, 8-8, #15 in your power rankings, 2nd place behind the Eastern Conf team with the best QB - Brady for now. By the way, does Tannehill scare you - not really; if he does it's because you really don't have faith in EJ. Geno Smith - nope. He's the same as EJ - will only do as well as the team around him. The Bills may do OK in the division this year because if you take away the QB's, the Bills have the best team/roster. Brady gives the Pats an edge and neither Tannehill nor Gino can help their teams enough.

Aspiring to the middle - that's what we have with EJ, Possible winning seasons, but not good enough because he doesn't have "IT" like Kelly, Marino, Elway, etc, etc.

Please tell us what future quarterbacks have it since you have been right every time previously

Yohoo, lose the attitude.

My point is you don't need to wait until a guy has 30+ starts (JP/Trent) before you know if he's going to be great, good or an also-ran. There's no doubt that EJ's the guy until we find someone better (if we look). But if he were THE GUY, we'd all see that something special (je ne sais quoi). A special spark, determination, physical talent - arm (accuracy and zip), head for the game - I don't see any of that in EJ - he's average, just OK - aspiring to the middle of the pack in the NFL.

By the way "Over 20 ...", race has ZERO to do with it!

Edited by Never NEVER Give-up

Mods have really let up on closing redundant threads.

It's become a daily contest to generate difffernt thread titles for the "I only like white QBs" crowd.

This topic is actually somewhat different from the others, but I wouldn't expect someone resorting to the ever pathetic "yer a racist" argument to have the cognitive ability to grasp the distinguishing aspects.

This is the question I'm dying to ask. Everyone is jumping on EJ while our RBs (Fred and CJ) have no 100 yard games, matter of fact, they don't average 100 yards a game between them.Hell not even 90 yards a game. By the way, they have zero rushing TDs, our wimpy QB has more than both of them combined.

I earned a 1 week "vacation" from the boards for my views on fred jackson so I learned my lesson and I am not touching that one again...lol. Regardless, I'm not sure that there is much more fred and cj can do when everybody knows exactly when and where we are going to run...it's too obvious and easy to stop.

Just to add, one could argue that the lack of success of our rbs could tie back to manuel. When he doesn't scare anybody, opponents can plan to stop the run and dare ej to beat them.

Edited by Tampa Bob

This is the question I'm dying to ask. Everyone is jumping on EJ while our RBs (Fred and CJ) have no 100 yard games, matter of fact, they don't average 100 yards a game between them.Hell not even 90 yards a game. By the way, they have zero rushing TDs, our wimpy QB has more than both of them combined.

So, do you think it's wise to use EJ as a pocket passer when what potentially sets him apart is his ability to run?

I earned a 1 week "vacation" from the boards for my views on fred jackson so I learned my lesson and I am not touching that one...lol. Regardless, I'm not sure that there is much more fred and cj can do when everybody knows exactly when and where we are going to run...it's too obvious and easy to stop.

There's a lot of times defense know where and when AP is going to run, and it's against a stacked box. No ones afraid of Minny's passing attack.