Colin Cowerd and Tim Hasselback

Kipers Hair

Does anyone else feel like it was a huge mistake to bring in Orton if they don't intend to play him? If I'm honest with myself, I know I would be far less critical of EJ after a game like yesterday's if he only had Thad and Tuel behind him. The fact that there is a legitimate, experienced, QB option on the bench, makes performances like the one we saw from EJ against the Bolts much harder to stomach. I think they've put EJ in a bad position. He's going to receive constant catcalls from a large segment of the fanbase and will be looking over his shoulder as long as Orton is here. As a front office and coaching staff, if you're committed to EJ and comfortable with the idea of this being a rebuilding/learning year, then why not go with a guy like Jordan Palmer (as terrible as he was) to serve as EJs mentor, instead of a guy that is a real threat to steal his job?

I buy insurance that I hope like heck I don't have to use. But if I have to, it'll be there.

This isn't about EJ's state of mind, because there's 52 other players banking on him to play well so they can win. The body language shown by Mike Williams and Sammy at the end should scream from the mountain tops they're not happy with the way things are going.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ball placement was good on 24 passes. Sammy could of had one & admitted as much. Chandler's grab vs Miami was perfect ball placement. Woods 15 yard catch was perfect yesterday. EJ can & does make great throws.

I see his struggles when he gets pressure up the middle. He hasn't learned yet how to evade the rush & climb the pocket. He rolls out the pocket instead of weaving his way forward and driving the ball off his plant leg. Any throw off the back foot will sail.

Good point here. Watching guys like Peyton and Big Ben do this consistently is a thing of beauty. Rivers, too. If EJ can develop this he will be a great QB in this league.

I'm not giving up on EJ, but I will give you that the way EJ regressed as the game went on is troubling. I mean he threw away the last pass with seconds left. Who cares if you throw an INT there?

I had a horrific, bone chilling flashback to Edwards running out of bounds, behind the LOS inside the red zone as time was expiring on a fourth down play to end a losing effort against the Dolphins.

Pretty sure that move got him straight cut.

Does anyone else feel like it was a huge mistake to bring in Orton if they don't intend to play him? If I'm honest with myself, I know I would be far less critical of EJ after a game like yesterday's if he only had Thad and Tuel behind him. The fact that there is a legitimate, experienced, QB option on the bench, makes performances like the one we saw from EJ against the Bolts much harder to stomach. I think they've put EJ in a bad position. He's going to receive constant catcalls from a large segment of the fanbase and will be looking over his shoulder as long as Orton is here. As a front office and coaching staff, if you're committed to EJ and comfortable with the idea of this being a rebuilding/learning year, then why not go with a guy like Jordan Palmer (as terrible as he was) to serve as EJs mentor, instead of a guy that is a real threat to steal his job?

not at all. I think they wanted a solid vet backup who has a good track record and wasn't dying to be a starter. They met his demands because they left wins on the board last year due to not having proper injury insurance at the QB position.

My contention was with your post which inferred Manual's pathetic performance was solely on the OL. And yeah, I was thrilled with the NINE FGA's Manual 'captained' us to in the 1st couple games.. 10 times, Manual and Marrone have trailed by 10 points since the became QB/Coach. Their record? 0-10.

Aaron Rodgers has EARNED a rare poor performance. Manual has yet to earn a Great performance. Subtle difference, no?

Everyone on this board knows you have it out for EJ, it's not something you hide. But as a Bills fan can you at least spell his name right? It's MANUEL, not MANUAL. :wallbash:

I still feel Orton was brought in just as insurance, as to avoid another catastrophe like after Manuel's injury last year. They needed someone proven back there, but he won't be brought in otherwise. I'd be shocked in Manuel didn't get three or four years before the plug is pulled.

Hey! Stop spelling his name correctly! You're making the others look bad.

its a huge mistake because fans can be irrational? thats terrible logic. we made our 53 better - thats what matters.

Maybe. But you're not making your 22 better if the better option isn't seeing the field.

As for your question - yes. Especially if you're dealing with a young, unconfident qb, and you're directly responsible for creating and placing him in a situation that will increase his likelihood of being boo'd on his home field.

Maybe. But you're not making your 22 better if the better option isn't seeing the field.

As for your question - yes. Especially if you're dealing with a young, unconfident qb, and you're directly responsible for creating and placing him in a situation that will increase his likelihood of being boo'd on his home field.

"Better option" is based purely on (hopeful) speculation (I'm assuming the 'hopeful' part).

EJ is afraid of getting hurt again. That's blatantly clear when he scrambles.

The FO is afraid of EJ getting hurt again. That was blatantly clear when they scrambled to sign Orton (who was the best possible option, IMO).

As poorly as EJ played yesterday, there is NOTHING wrong with the way he's running the ball now. He is actually being smart about it and doing it the way he's been coached up. One little rushing 1st down conversion was not going to tilt the game yesterday with the way he was throwing the ball. It might be different under different circumstances, but not in game 3 of the season. He was injured 3 times last year for doing what some of you are wanting him to do here. I repeat , he is doing it (Running the ball) exactly the way the team expects him to.

"Better option" is based purely on (hopeful) speculation (I'm assuming the 'hopeful' part).

EJ is afraid of getting hurt again. That's blatantly clear when he scrambles.

The FO is afraid of EJ getting hurt again. That was blatantly clear when they scrambled to sign Orton (who was the best possible option, IMO).

He is not afraid. He has answered a hundred questions about sliding and getting out of bounds. He is going to trample a DB very soon. He needs to pick his spots and no when to dive for a TD or first down and when to just go down. There were two times yesterday he could have fought for more yards and didn't.

Rodgers is 1-2. And looked bad versus the Seahawks & now the Lions.

Rodgers plays for a better organization, no? I mean everyone here says Nix sucked, Whaley gave up too much for Sammy, and Marrone & Hackett are in over their heads, no?

so your saying that if Rodgers was the Bills QB we would be worse off??!?!?!

Did you say this in the first two games when he made several excellent down field throws or are you just going to voice this after he plays poorly? A balanced view with both credit and criticism when warranted makes your opinion worthy of consideration. If you only post after bad performances and stay silent when he plays well, it's hard to take someone seriously.

Seriously though, WhAt Excellent down the field throws are you referencing?

The one wear Woods had to jump out of the stadium to save the Bills arses?

Or the 5 yard pick play to Watkins that YACed it to the end zone?

I do not recall 1 excellent downfield pass by EJ in the first 3 games.

Seriously though, WhAt Excellent down the field throws are you referencing?

The one wear Woods had to jump out of the stadium to save the Bills arses?

Or the 5 yard pick play to Watkins that YACed it to the end zone?

I do not recall 1 excellent downfield pass by EJ in the first 3 games.

Sideline throw to Chandler

long bomb to Sammy last week that the DB made a great play on.

Good point here. Watching guys like Peyton and Big Ben do this consistently is a thing of beauty. Rivers, too. If EJ can develop this he will be a great QB in this league.

he needs time to develop. He can't be thrown into these game situations where he will fail. That's why I favor starting Orton at this point. Let EJ see the game from the sidelines with a coach so he has an outsiders view. Sure, you can do this during film study, but it's totally different watching someone else, seeing and hearing what's going on during the game. It will likely accelerate his growth. And also not get our WR's killed on the "floating" passes.

Edited by RyanC883

Sideline throw to Chandler

long bomb to Sammy last week that the DB made a great play on.

Throw to Williams in OT between the LB and safety

He has missed as many or more deep throws as he has made. Brady has been missing them all year too.

Nobody is happy with his accuracy but there are good signs there.