Empire Sports Network

YoloinOhio

Remember that?

@ByTimGraham: Yes RT @JPick_61 with Pegula now owning both major Buffalo teams, do you think there's any chance he revives the old Empire Sports Network?

Funny that Tim brings this up. I've been saying for a while that TP could take his media in house. Why let the clowns at WGR do such a half-assed job? Radio stations are relatively cheap now.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember that?

@ByTimGraham: Yes RT @JPick_61 with Pegula now owning both major Buffalo teams, do you think there's any chance he revives the old Empire Sports Network?

Hopefully the TV version, it was cool having a Buffalo only sports channel.

Wander is often a guest on Koshinski's show on WBBZ and he's still as sharp as a tack.

Arty baby boo boo

You mean the Entirely Sabres Network?

They covered a lot of Bills stuff, especially the draft.

Remember that?

Maybe not the old Empire Sports Network. I was thinking the same thing. The creation of a new................"WNY Sports Net" or something along those line. If and when the Comcast Time Warner Cable merger is complete, approaching Comcast about "WNY Sports Net" would be another piece to Pegulaville. If Pegula owned the WNY Sports Net, that would be another cash generator he would be adding to his sports empire. It would also be another "piece of content" or channel to add to the Comcast / Directv / what have you cable line up and I most certainly would pay for it as I live here outside of Philly.

Edited by BillsinChesterSprings

Funny that Tim brings this up. I've been saying for a while that TP could take his media in house. Why let the clowns at WGR do such a half-assed job? Radio stations are relatively cheap now.

The only problem with having a team owned radio station, is many people currently feel that John Murphy is a shill for the Bills on his nightly show, and the same goes for Peters and Sylvester on Hockey Hotline from 10-12 weekdays. Both lead to less than objective on-air conversation.

Wouldn't this just continue if Pegula bought a radio station and staffed it with his employees?

I once saw Jim Brinson wearing the shortest purple short shorts you've ever seen at Lou Gehrig. Nice guy, meant well, kind of a dork. Art Wander is a whole nother conversation. If I had to think of one person who represented Buffalo, NY for the span of my childhood, it may very well have been him. He was so Buffalo it was outrageous. My friend converted our prank call tapes to Art Wander and Chuck Dickerson on GR to CD not too long ago. Some of them are classics. I had a reoccurring character named Mohammad from Pakistan and every time I called into Chuck Dickerson, I would speak with an outrageous Indian accent and tell him that I was a first time caller. And every time he would tell me I was crazy and that I had called in before and I would insist that I was a first time caller. There was Leroy from Depew, Clarence from Clarence, et al. Those were the good ol' days. We used to call into infomania and Pet Talk on the weekends as well.

The only problem with having a team owned radio station, is many people currently feel that John Murphy is a shill for the Bills on his nightly show, and the same goes for Peters and Sylvester on Hockey Hotline from 10-12 weekdays. Both lead to less than objective on-air conversation.

Wouldn't this just continue if Pegula bought a radio station and staffed it with his employees?

This!

Empire sports was great could watch sabres on directv without a separate subscription to center ice even in NC. What. Great way to keep track of WNY sports of all kinds pro , college and high school. When I loom at all these fox sports stations empire programming had them by far hands down.

I did the same thing in Seattle. Direct TV even gave us the Vancouver stations so also a lot of NHL for no extra cost.

Now I'm in Virginia, Empire is gone and NO Canadian TV stations from good'ol Direct TV.

And the NFL Network shills for the league, so what's your point?

The other big advantage an Empire would have is that the competition is mostly folks like WGR and the Buffalo News which provide such a lame product there is lots of room to present something better. I think a key point will be for the sports product, the Bills and the Sabers to become competitive teams.

The Bills appear to be getting there(with luck the 2-0 start will be maintained to keep the product competitive) the Sabres are probably a year and more likely two away. However, if lightening strikes and both teams are playing exiting sports, the weakness of the current WGR blathering provides and opening.

Yes but if they do embark on this station, I hope the production value is a little greater than Empire used to be. It was college station esque.

Art Wander was my neighbor for a few years before he moved to Tennessee. First time I met him I was playing hockey in the driveway with my son. Art came over to say hello and asked my son if he was a Sabres fan. After that Art when on to talk Sabres hockey with us for a while. The next day he knocked on my door and gave me Sabres tickets. He was a good guy. Never stopped talking about sports.