The Chargers, Rivers and Antonio Gates

PS 56

To get to 3 and 0 we have to beat the Chargers. The Chargers are not as good defensively as many teams but they are a huge offensive threat. With the win over Seattle last week, it is obvious they are serious competition. In my opinion the key to beating them is stopping Rivers and Gates. Rivers stats compare to some HOF quarterbacks. In 11 games (9 as a starter) Rivers has completed 65% of his passes for an average of 246 yards a game. His career quarterback rating is 96. Antonio Gates had a three touchdown game last weekend against Seattle, a team with a good defense.

The last time we played them was in San Diego, and despite a huge Bills fan base in attendance, the combination of Rivers and Gates ate our lunch.

I think our defense is up to the challenge if they prepare for a dynamic air game, but our offense needs to bring their "A" game. We will need the points.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To get to 3 and 0 we have to beat the Chargers. The Chargers are not as good defensively as many teams but they are a huge offensive threat. With the win over Seattle last week, it is obvious they are serious competition. In my opinion the key to beating them is stopping Rivers and Gates. Rivers stats compare to some HOF quarterbacks. In 11 games (9 as a starter) Rivers has completed 65% of his passes for an average of 246 yards a game. His career quarterback rating is 96. Antonio Gates had a three touchdown game last weekend against Seattle, a team with a good defense.

The last time we played them was in San Diego, and despite a huge Bills fan base in attendance, the combination of Rivers and Gates ate our lunch.

I think our defense is up to the challenge if they prepare for a dynamic air game, but our offense needs to bring their "A" game. We will need the points.

Are you sure?

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/170915-san-diego-super-chargers/

Hard to believe that didn't make all the difference in the game.

What insight!!!

way to go out on a limb there...are you the same guy that posted last week the key to beating the Dolphins was stopping the run and pressuring Tannehill?

seems the keys to beating the Bills opponents are pretty obvious and clear reaction to what transpired the previous week

Chargers will be ready for a let down game. West coast to east coast travel plus its statistically unlikely for Gates to be as successful this week.

Turn overs will win the game again. EJ needs to make those Red Zone passes count though. Chargers are the best team we have faced.

You guys are making this way too complicated. It's a simple matter of points scored vs. points against. Win that battle, you'll win every week.

Yeah, I think this is one game where the Bills will have to win by outscoring the other team.

I worry about a 12th Man let down after last week. It's true West Coasters traveling to the East Coast struggle, but I feel we have to reinforce to the League the Ralph is Hell to Visit!

We had an undeniable frenzy all last week, culminating in a dominant performance in a deafening din. I think we match up well against all teams. Chargers seem primed to be a force this year. This outcome depends on US!

i have Keenan Allen and am starting him. The good news there is that virtually guarantees he will do nothing.

I figure it's a win-win situation. Either the Bills shut him down or I get points. Unless of course they shut him down and Allen & Floyd tear it up. Then it's more of an insult-injury situation.

You guys are making this way too complicated. It's a simple matter of points scored vs. points against. Win that battle, you'll win every week.

I know you are being a bit sarcastic, but it's really quite simple like you say. It's amazing to me how many people get caught up in things that really don't make too much sense. The travel across country, like the players are going to be so tired that won't play well, or the crowd , like that will make Gates drop the ball? I think people try to convince themselves on ways the Bills might win just to sleep easier. But people sound so stupid sometimes.

The key I think is using Graham to cover Gates. Graham is almost big enough to be a safety and he obviously has great coverage skills. The key will be whether Schwartz can come up with a scheme to take this single piece out of the Charger's system.

The Chargers have some high-effort RBs but no one in the talent class of ours. Stop Gates and you stop the Chargers. The Bills' advantage is there is no single guy you can stop and therefore stop the system. Three good WRs, three good RBs, one average TE trump a great TE and average other guys.

Edited by Utah John

The key I think is using Graham to cover Gates. Graham is almost big enough to be a safety and he obviously has great coverage skills. The key will be whether Schwartz can come up with a scheme to take this single piece out of the Charger's system.

The Chargers have some high-effort RBs but no one in the talent class of ours. Stop Gates and you stop the Chargers. The Bills' advantage is there is no single guy you can stop and therefore stop the system. Three good WRs, three good RBs, one average TE trump a great TE and average other guys.

I don't think Allen is average, and as a #2 receiver I don't think Floyd is either. Unlike Chicago, they're missing that great all-around RB, but Rivers is better than Cutler so that offense is pretty damn potent.