NEWS: The peeling away of sponsors from the NFL has begun

Hplarrm

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh. These kind of short-lived-psuedo-controversies only make the league more interesting to the general public and therefore more attractive to sponsors. NFL just has to weather the cackling hens of discontent for a few weeks and it will be business as usual regardless. I mean.....it's a bloodsport sponsored most prominently by booze. :doh:

My hunch is that this is a short-sighted view. Lifestyle and behavioral expectations in significant parts of the country are changing fast -- particularly the Northeast and on the West Coast (not surprisingly, areas where feminism and gay rights have made the greatest inroads). These regions are important because this is where the money and people are. I bring this up because for many people in these regions, the ceaseless (and accurate) coverage of concussions has taken root. My 9th grade son plays sports at a pretty high level in NYC (relatively speaking), and it's your basic American boy sports -- travel baseball, basketball, and (flag) football. He crosses paths with a lot of other kids, and he doesn't know any kid who is allowed to play tackle football, a sport he loves but which he has no interest in playing despite being good. More generally, I feel that in the last few years there has been a sea change -- I have to defend my NFL fandom to people. And I can't even talk about football with women anymore - it always ends up as a conversation on the countless thugs who populate the league. That's new, and I know I'm not alone.

Dn't get me wrong -- I love the NFL and the Bills. But I do think that we may be at an inflection point. If the coastal middle classes abandon football, it'll still be a major sport. But it might become like NASCAR -- still huge, but more of a regional sport, with fan bases concentrated in the south, the old industrial regions of the midwest that stretch from Buffalo/western PA westward, rural America, and African American communities (where most of the players come from).

One other thing: I really think the league's problems are self inflicted because of a basic misunderstanding of their audience. The audience doesn't really have a problem with PEDs in a sport where there are so many injuries (which HGHis great at treating) and so little concern for individual statistical records. It's not baseball, as you know. For years now, the biggest threat to the league's popularity has been violence (and, ironically, one of the things that makes it so popular): relentless waves of ugly injuries, a major concussion crisis, and -- last but hardly least -- a semi-psychotic player population (because you've gotta be psycho at some level to play LB or safety or DT) that is far more prone to violent behavior than the regular population. I think most fans would be fine with multi-game suspensions of the in-game headhunters (I have long advocated this), but the league never did it. Yet for years and years the league has penalized drug use more severely than violence. They just seem tone deaf to changing societal mores and a elite news media -- NYT, the Atlantic, the New Yorker, the Boston Globe, the Washington Post -- that has it in for the NFL and smells blood.

Edited by dave mcbride

Yep. Right now, Radison pulling their sponsorship is just another form of advertisement. "Hey look, we care about people so we're pulling our money from the NFL...LOOK AT US!!!

They'll probably move their money to the NBA, cuase you know, raping and shooting people isn't hot right now.

Nope - it was pulled because the Vikings were stupid enough to do their Peterson press conference in front of radisson signage after the chain went to the wall to get them a new stadium and the Super Bowl.

I promise you it was as much (if not more) about disrespect and lack of judgement/courtesy as it was about Peterson

How now Brown cow?

Seriously, if you don't know ask in the other thread; I'm not going to dominate this one. It's borderline crusading at this point.

Why stop now? I'm sure you haven't quite beat this to death Take borderline out of the last sentence and it becomes a much more accurate statement. We get it your opinion is far superior to others who don't agree with you. Others opinion are stupid and idiotic.We understood it the first 100 times you said it Enough already. Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

Why stop now? I'm sure you haven't quite beat this to death Take borderline out of the last sentence and it becomes a much more accurate statement. We get it your opinion is far superior to others who don't agree with you. Others opinion are stupid and idiotic.We understood it the first 100 times you said it Enough already.

I see I got someone's panties in a bunch. Let me correct you here. My opinions are superior to those who can't back theirs up. IIRC you're more of a hit and run type who states your opinion, then disappears. If you can't explain your opinion it's no more valuable than the pennies in your pocket.

I see I got someone's panties in a bunch. Let me correct you here. My opinions are superior to those who can't back theirs up. IIRC you're more of a hit and run type who states your opinion, then disappears. If you can't explain your opinion it's no more valuable than the pennies in your pocket.

Your memory fails you. I never hit and run. And no my panties are not in a bunch unlike yours on this subject. Your to this subject is like Kellyto83 is to bashing EJ. No ones opinion is any more superior than others. I do have a little more invested in this than most. I was mentally, physically, and sexually abused as a child by alcoholic parents and other immediate family members. 33 years later, every day I look in mirror see scars both mental and physical and wonder what I did to deserve this. I know AP didn't go to nearly the extent as the one I described but it is abuse none the less. I with what I endured have earned the right to believe child abuse should be fought by any means necessary. Whether it be jail, employment. counseling or any other measure. I lived through that Hell and you or anybody else don't have the right to tell me your opinion is superior on this subject. There I didn't " hit and run". Are you satisfied now?

My hunch is that this is a short-sighted view. Lifestyle and behavioral expectations in significant parts of the country are changing fast -- particularly the Northeast and on the West Coast (not surprisingly, areas where feminism and gay rights have made the greatest inroads). These regions are important because this is where the money and people are. I bring this up because for many people in these regions, the ceaseless (and accurate) coverage of concussions has taken root. My 9th grade son plays sports at a pretty high level in NYC (relatively speaking), and it's your basic American boy sports -- travel baseball, basketball, and (flag) football. He crosses paths with a lot of other kids, and he doesn't know any kid who is allowed to play tackle football, a sport he loves but which he has no interest in playing despite being good. More generally, I feel that in the last few years there has been a sea change -- I have to defend my NFL fandom to people. And I can't even talk about football with women anymore - it always ends up as a conversation on the countless thugs who populate the league. That's new, and I know I'm not alone.

Dn't get me wrong -- I love the NFL and the Bills. But I do think that we may be at an inflection point. If the coastal middle classes abandon football, it'll still be a major sport. But it might become like NASCAR -- still huge, but more of a regional sport, with fan bases concentrated in the south, the old industrial regions of the midwest that stretch from Buffalo/western PA westward, rural America, and African American communities (where most of the players come from).

One other thing: I really think the league's problems are self inflicted because of a basic misunderstanding of their audience. The audience doesn't really have a problem with PEDs in a sport where there are so many injuries (which HGHis great at treating) and so little concern for individual statistical records. It's not baseball, as you know. For years now, the biggest threat to the league's popularity has been violence (and, ironically, one of the things that makes it so popular): relentless waves of ugly injuries, a major concussion crisis, and -- last but hardly least -- a semi-psychotic player population (because you've gotta be psycho at some level to play LB or safety or DT) that is far more prone to violent behavior than the regular population. I think most fans would be fine with multi-game suspensions of the in-game headhunters (I have long advocated this), but the league never did it. Yet for years and years the league has penalized drug use more severely than violence. They just seem tone deaf to changing societal mores and a elite news media -- NYT, the Atlantic, the New Yorker, the Boston Globe, the Washington Post -- that has it in for the NFL and smells blood.

That's well stated, Dave.

Your memory fails you. I never hit and run. And no my panties are not in a bunch unlike yours on this subject. Your to this subject is like Kellyto83 is to bashing EJ. No ones opinion is any more superior than others. I do have a little more invested in this than most. I was mentally, physically, and sexually abused as a child by alcoholic parents and other immediate family members. 33 years later, every day I look in mirror see scars both mental and physical and wonder what I did to deserve this. I know AP didn't go to nearly the extent as the one I described but it is abuse none the less. I with what I endured have earned the right to believe child abuse should be fought by any means necessary. Whether it be jail, employment. counseling or any other measure. I lived through that Hell and you or anybody else don't have the right to tell me your opinion is superior on this subject. There I didn't " hit and run". Are you satisfied now?

That was better. You gave some supporting information to explain why you feel the way you do, but if I may be honest, you explained only why you may have certain subjective views based on your experience rather than any objective reasoning that explains why the course of action you've suggested is the most reasonable. I'm sorry you experienced that and I in no way wish to minimize or be dismissive of that. But your experience doesn't make you right. And I'm sorry, but opinions are not equal. An informed and well supported opinion is superior to an uninformed and unsupported opinion. I'm not saying your opinion is either, it may be the clearest and most accurate opinion anyone here has on the subject, you just haven't stated and supported it sufficiently to make that clear.

So Radisson pulls out (for reasons most likely only as NoSaint mentioned), and this is the death knell of the NFL?

Americans have no long term memory and zero attention span. Why haven't Nike and Inbev...and Gatorade and Underarmour and every auto maker...made any noise about this? Because they have already bought their ad time.

And they understand that the overwhelming majority of NFL fans do not have their opinions formed by the editors of the NYT, Atlantic, New Yorker, etc. Fans have been reading about NFL players (and MLB and NBA) beating, shooting, DUI'ing, killing civilians for years. Yet the NFL is as popular as ever. Advertisers understand how the public votes on these issues--with TV ratings. They understand that most fans, while personally "outraged", of course, really consider this all part of the show. In fact, I bet ESPN's ratings have peaked over this Rice/Peterson story, as have their web clicks.

It would take a lot more than bad player behavior for sponsors to walk away from the NFL. Essentially, it would take significantly decreased football viewership--and that isn;t going to happen.

That was better. You gave some supporting information to explain why you feel the way you do, but if I may be honest, you explained only why you may have certain subjective views based on your experience rather than any objective reasoning that explains why the course of action you've suggested is the most reasonable. I'm sorry you experienced that and I in no way wish to minimize or be dismissive of that. But your experience doesn't make you right. And I'm sorry, but opinions are not equal. An informed and well supported opinion is superior to an uninformed and unsupported opinion. I'm not saying your opinion is either, it may be the clearest and most accurate opinion anyone here has on the subject, you just haven't stated and supported it sufficiently to make that clear.

I not here to debate who opinion is most reasonable. That's not how this conversation started. I get I'm not changing your opinion nor I'm i trying to. You also, are not going to be able to sway mine. I understand this, it would be a colossal waste of time for both of us. I just feel you've made your point abundantly clear, one would have to be obtuse not to get it by now.

How now Brown cow?

Seriously, if you don't know ask in the other thread; I'm not going to dominate this one. It's borderline crusading at this point.

How predictable lol.

If a troll doesn't know they are a stubborn troll, are they are a troll?

http://sports.yahoo....-015111110.html

is a link to an article about the Radison Hotel chain MN suspending it sponsorship deal over the child abuse charges against Adrian Peterson.

It was a week of various morality charges and incidents. NFL owners such as Bib Kraft came quickly and strongly to Goodell's defense. Nice, but we all know it ain't the owners who really call the shots its the ultimate cash source. sponsors and the TV nets who are important here.

Interesting to me also I think there is a lag which will see men like Kraft circle the wagons around Goodell, but ultimately its going to be discussions that these MEN who run the NFL have with their wives over the breakfast table and pillows will ultimately determine what happens.

He probably will surive in the short term but I suspect we will see Goodell walk away from 44 mill annually to spend mire time with his family.

Here's the thing: One week is a long time as far as the public's attention span is concerned. And, this is just one more media-storm for Goodell, and the NFL to weather. This time next year, it will have as much poignancy as Junior Seau being driven to suicide by the after-effects of a career full of concussions. Or, Michael Vick's dogfighting. Or the travails of Tim Tebow, and the religion he insisted on wearing on his sleeve. The media LOVES a good, sensational story, and had Ray Rice not appeared in a particularly dramatic video, his domestic abuse issues would be gone by the end of his two game suspension. Petersen's biggest crime (as far as the NFL is concerned) was bad timing. But even Ray Rice's grizzly cameo can only get played so many times before it becomes inconsequential. And, I suspect its legs have just about run themselves out.

So Radisson pulls out (for reasons most likely only as NoSaint mentioned), and this is the death knell of the NFL?

Americans have no long term memory and zero attention span. Why haven't Nike and Inbev...and Gatorade and Underarmour and every auto maker...made any noise about this? Because they have already bought their ad time.

And they understand that the overwhelming majority of NFL fans do not have their opinions formed by the editors of the NYT, Atlantic, New Yorker, etc. Fans have been reading about NFL players (and MLB and NBA) beating, shooting, DUI'ing, killing civilians for years. Yet the NFL is as popular as ever. Advertisers understand how the public votes on these issues--with TV ratings. They understand that most fans, while personally "outraged", of course, really consider this all part of the show. In fact, I bet ESPN's ratings have peaked over this Rice/Peterson story, as have their web clicks.

It would take a lot more than bad player behavior for sponsors to walk away from the NFL. Essentially, it would take significantly decreased football viewership--and that isn;t going to happen.

I think this is absolutely right. There is NOTHING more important to the NFL, or its sponsors, than the bottom line. The hand-wringing, and posturing, and lip-service is a necessary component to a well-rounded, public relations strategy. Everyone sitting in their respective boardrooms understands this.

15 other hotel chains will fill that space with the quickness.

People watch football. Great place to advertise.

As someone pointed out, the suspension of partnership was actually advertising by Raddison of their progressive views. If the 15 you site do exist the also are advertising by stepping into Raddison's place that beating your child til he has bruises, welts or is bleeding is OK. Overtime, Radisson can be replaced but the bottomline will be looked at tomorrow or in the long term at the quarter. The Radisson move is important because once the wave begins it is hard to stop.

I think a key to this will be how the daughters of team owners react aroind the dinner table and what the wives of team owners say at bedtime. If after expressing great sympathy to the owner because a stupid player best his kid and put the nice owner in a tough spot and then they whine about how Goodell dropped the ball on Rice, the other wife beating players and then Peterson, when the arguments are made by someone at the MFL Board table its time to throw Roger under the bus. He is gone.