Brandon Spikes only played 15 snaps vs Mia

Alphadawg7

Ryan Matthews, their stud RB is out for 4 weeks. Mathis means even more play action pass, and deep threats. Spikes will help completely stuff Woodhead and the chargers will have to win completely in the air. That means our pass rush pins the ears back, and we play a ton of nickel. Gilmore, McKelvin, Graham, and Robey along with Williams need to be ready.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And you would be wrong.

and you're right. We make few mistakes on either side. Penalties - not really. Except for the PI's which come and other nonsense. We don't false start and we don't make boneheaded plays. This stuff Marrone is doing works

We play a cautious game and we play a deliberate game. Miami has a good front box and in am glad their LB was hurt. How much did Shep play? Anyway, yeah. We run well but not like were last year

The article mentions the return of Nigel and the fact that Mia's offense had us in a nickel formation a large part of the game.

if it was Miami's gameplan to run the ball to get our d-line on it's heels, that took a major hit when they lost Moreno. As stout as Spikes is against the run, he's the type of backer OCs try to isolate in coverage - and Spikes will be the first to admit that.

So who plays where, in the LB corps, against SD?

Depends on how our DC thinks Rivers will attack us. To the OP's question concerning Spikes playing time, he's just not versatile enough to be on the field with coverage responsibilities - but we won't see any repeats of our last Pats game with him available

if you listened to Sal on WGR he had a theory that supported one I had.

We kept Brown at SLB despite Bradham being back because he had already had experience there from week one and trying to reach him a second position in two weeks would be ridiculous.

Bradham played WLB. Which he looked good at! Two years ago he was awful there. Last year he just didn't look good there. Yesterday he was good!

Brown is a WLB and looked better there at WLB in preseason then SLB. He played a lot of both in preseason due to him pegged there week 1 and to get ready.

Bradham played SLB and Brown played WLB yesterday.

Isn't Rivers likely out for another week? I know he is officially day-to-day (as are we all) but I read two weeks somewhere, I think.

Yeah, Rivers is supposed to miss at least another game.

I'm not reading anything into this. Miami lost their top running back and fell behind. After that they abandoned the run

Spikes is a terrific run stopper but lacks coverage skills. That was known coming in. When the opposing QB throws it 49x like tannehill, spikes will see less time....simple as that.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Bradham played SLB and Brown played WLB yesterday.

Yeah, Rivers is supposed to miss at least another game.

yeah. I meant that. My bad. I'm exhausted. I am about to pass out again

By the way, no one is mentioning Stefan Charles. The guy looks very good.

yeah. I meant that. My bad. I'm exhausted. I am about to pass out again

That's what I thought. Just checking. I think Bradham playing over the TE is the best fit given his size and speed.

By the way, no one is mentioning Stefan Charles. The guy looks very good.

Speaking of which, has there been any word on his injury?

Yeah, either him or Bradham...did you guys see the wood Bradham was laying yesterday? I mean damn, reminded me of those college highlights of him destroying players. I always liked him, glad to see him really starting to Blossom.

For instance...him laying the wood at FSU

What a hit!!!

On that topic...how is Buffalo winning? Running the damn ball.

No, by a total team effort.

Let me change what I wrote. Sorry Kelly but your anti-EJ crusade is both tired and wrong. The Bills didn't win the game by, outside of ONE 47 yard run, averaging 2.1 YPC.

Didn't he come back into the game?

I didn't think so. But I could be wrong.

I won't deny the impact that the new rules have had, but how can you overlook the 2013 Super Bowl, parts 1 and 2: the NFC Championship and the actual game.

Kap and Wilson--in 2013, no other quarterbacks who played in 16 games attempted fewer passes.

I agree the pendulum is swinging back toward more balance. I doubt it goes too far away from the passing game while the rules favor offense so much. What we saw last year was two pretty young QB's surrounded by very good teams meaning they were rarely far behind forcing them to pass. Our team plays in Buffalo and I like the idea of being more run oriented than a team playing in San Diego or a bowl. Make this an advantage for us!

That's gotta be why we made Kiko switch positions - the MLB in Schwartz's defense isn't going to see the field. They seem to be pretty high on Bradham. Eventually it might be Kiko / Bradham on the field for the whole game with Brown taking over for Spikes.

They didn't "make" Kiko switch positions as much as they signed a player that made it possible. Even Pettine said last season that they WANTED Kiko at the Will but they just didn't have anyone better to play MLB

I'm going to challenge the notion of "today's" offenses.

I think the pendulum is swinging back to a ground and pound league.

+1 I heard a stat earlier that teams are 12-1 in the last two weeks when they run more than pass. I can see the run making a comeback real soon.

Spikes can't cover Gates or Woodhead. If he plays and it is a pass he should just blitz right up the middle. Rivers has no escapability. They are weakest at OT but the interior line is not much better. Send three up the middle and prevent Rivers from stepping up in the pocket. Then drop everyone else in zone and keep everything in front of them. They don't have the running game to win. The crowd noise will be a factor. A few crucial holding penalties should kill some drives. Get up by a couple scores in the third and then unleash hell...