Brandon Spikes only played 15 snaps vs Mia

Alphadawg7

Wow, I remember often thinking where is Brandon Sunday, but I didn't think it was only 15 snaps. Here is the snap count on our LB's and the link to the story: http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills

Linebackers:

Preston Brown -- 79 of 79

Nigel Bradham -- 66 of 79

Brandon Spikes -- 15 of 79

Ty Powell -- 1 of 79

Randell Johnson -- 0 of 79 (special teams only)

Keith Rivers -- 0 of 79 (injured/inactive)

Surprising to see Preston played every snap, Nigel 66 of the snaps and only 15 for Spikes. The article mentions the return of Nigel and the fact that Mia's offense had us in a nickel formation a large part of the game. Still, for being such a big part of the defense and leadership, I am surprised how little he saw the field and that the rookie played every snap.

I wonder what its going to look like against SD given SD is going to be throwing a lot given their offense and the injury to Mathews. Hard to argue with our result Sunday, but can't help but think we are better with this guy on the field more than 15 times a game.

Thoughts?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hes going to struggle against todays offenses. its the simple reality of why the best run stopper in the league was allowed to walk by a contender and had to take a 1 year deal on the open market.

some games he will be really valuable. others he may end up riding the pine a bit more,

Were saving him for the Pats game.. He's gonna take Brady's head off!

Yeah, either him or Bradham...did you guys see the wood Bradham was laying yesterday? I mean damn, reminded me of those college highlights of him destroying players. I always liked him, glad to see him really starting to Blossom.

For instance...him laying the wood at FSU

Edited by Alphadawg7

hes going to struggle against todays offenses. its the simple reality of why the best run stopper in the league was allowed to walk by a contender and had to take a 1 year deal on the open market.

some games he will be really valuable. others he may end up riding the pine a bit more,

I'm going to challenge the notion of "today's" offenses.

I think the pendulum is swinging back to a ground and pound league.

Preston played every defensive down, two weeks in a row. He also played 100% of the special team snaps. In short order, this guy will have more gameday experience than many 2nd and 3rd year pros.

Opps: Wrong about the special teams snaps.

Edited by The Dean

Preston played every defensive down, two weeks in a row. He also played 100% of the special team snaps. In short order, this guy will have more gameday experience than many 2nd and 3rd year pros.

I remember being in the minority in liking the pick on draft day. Many were pissed about it, and he's turning out to be a pretty good prospect.

That's an excellent point and is really something to watch over the course of the season. The fact they can let a rookie learn on the job without sacrificing Ws is only going to help in the long term, especially if Spikes leaves next year.

I remember being in the minority in liking the pick on draft day. Many were pissed about it, and he's turning out to be a pretty good prospect.

I didn't know one way or the other. He's had some rough patches, but I'm impressed overall. BTW I was wrong about his ST snaps.

Opps: Wrong about the special teams snaps.

if you listened to Sal on WGR he had a theory that supported one I had.

We kept Brown at SLB despite Bradham being back because he had already had experience there from week one and trying to reach him a second position in two weeks would be ridiculous.

Bradham played WLB. Which he looked good at! Two years ago he was awful there. Last year he just didn't look good there. Yesterday he was good!

Brown is a WLB and looked better there at WLB in preseason then SLB. He played a lot of both in preseason due to him pegged there week 1 and to get ready.

Spikes made his 15 plays count. He's still a very valuable addition. The Fins ran out of a three wide set the entire game for the most part. We had an extra DB in for the LBs. If Rivers wasn't hurt, it likely would have been him and Bradham taking all those snaps, but Rivers was out so they went with Brown.

if you listened to Sal on WGR he had a theory that supported one I had.

We kept Brown at SLB despite Bradham being back because he had already had experience there from week one and trying to reach him a second position in two weeks would be ridiculous.

Bradham played WLB. Which he looked good at! Two years ago he was awful there. Last year he just didn't look good there. Yesterday he was good!

Brown is a WLB and looked better there at WLB in preseason then SLB. He played a lot of both in preseason due to him pegged there week 1 and to get ready.

So who plays where, in the LB corps, against SD?

So who plays where, in the LB corps, against SD?

if seal is right rivers to WLB. Bradham to SLB andSpikes to MLB .

If i am right I hope Bradham stays at WLB and Rivers and Brown split at SLB. Spikes at MLB with Brown getting time there in a pinch or too

I must say from the sidelines - well stadoum- spikes looks physically intimidating. The way he carries himself. Moves. His size. His presense. You notice him on the field and sideline.

I'm going to challenge the notion of "today's" offenses.

I think the pendulum is swinging back to a ground and pound league.

and there will be games where he comes in handy because there are some teams working that angle.

generally speaking though i think you need to bring more to the table to make that argument. its a product of rule changes, not teams just deciding to change their tendencies for fun. only 2 teams in the entire league ran the ball more than 50% of the time last season while even just 10 years prior 5 fell in that category. 12 teams were over 60% passing last year while again just 10 years prior it was 3.

it has devalued guys, and a few teams are getting talent on the cheap to fit their schemes. itll cycle some, but due to rule changes favoring the passing game, it has a new equilibrium that is more pass heavy.

if seal is right rivers to WLB. Bradham to SLB andSpikes to MLB .

If i am right I hope Bradham stays at WLB and Rivers and Brown split at SLB. Spikes at MLB with Brown getting time there in a pinch or too

I must say from the sidelines - well stadoum- spikes looks physically intimidating. The way he carries himself. Moves. His size. His presense. You notice him on the field and sideline.

Isn't Rivers likely out for another week? I know he is officially day-to-day (as are we all) but I read two weeks somewhere, I think.

and there will be games where he comes in handy because there are some teams working that angle.

generally speaking though i think you need to bring more to the table to make that argument. its a product of rule changes, not teams just deciding to change their tendencies for fun. only 2 teams in the entire league ran the ball more than 50% of the time last season while even just 10 years prior 5 fell in that category. 12 teams were over 60% passing last year while again just 10 years prior it was 3.

it has devalued guys, and a few teams are getting talent on the cheap to fit their schemes. itll cycle some, but due to rule changes favoring the passing game, it has a new equilibrium that is more pass heavy.

I won't deny the impact that the new rules have had, but how can you overlook the 2013 Super Bowl, parts 1 and 2: the NFC Championship and the actual game.

Kap and Wilson--in 2013, no other quarterbacks who played in 16 games attempted fewer passes.