To all of the EJ bashers

DirtDart

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's just crazy talk. That was a 50 yard pass to a speedster that hit him dead on the run. Six inches more he probably wouldn't have caught it enough to have it knocked away. It would be different if he altered his route to track the ball in the air but he didn't. He just ran as fast as he could and right at the last moment he reached out his hands and caught it at the tips. Then and only then was Grimes in his dive able to strip it away. It was a perfect pass. It could not have been thrown longer, shorter, inside or outside any better that would have made it less defensible and still catchable on the dead run.

And a perfectly thrown ball goes a few inches further to Sammy's right and there's no way Grimes gets his hand in there. Again, a decent throw especially by EJ standards. But not a pitch perfect throw by NFL QB standards.

Edited by GG

And a perfectly thrown ball goes a few inches further to Sammy's right and there's no way Grimes gets his hand in there. Again, a decent throw especially by EJ standards. But not a pitch perfect throw by NFL QB standards.

How about they change the NFL rules to allow EJ to walk down the field and hand it to Sammy? A few inches?? Come on Man!!

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

That was a great throw, it would be impossible to throw it any better. It's pretty obvious you never played the game

Poppycock GG, (And I typically agree with most of what you have to say.) By ANY NFL standard it was a great throw, In stride, in his hands. Should have been caught, actually, as Watkins had both hands on the ball. The defensive back made a great play. The QB isn't expected to be psychic. While the ball is in the air, DBs can and do make adjustments. Sometimes "perfect" throws get successfully defended. Sometimes a poor throw has a better chance of being successful, because of the position, and the adjustment, of the DB.

In order for that throw to be totally undefendable by the DB it might have had to be a throw where the WR has to make a difficult catch. And then we'd hear how the WR balled out EJ,. Established QBs have WRs make great catches all the time. And they get the credit for throwing behind the WR (to keep it away from the DB), or laying it out where only the WR can get it. EJ doesn't get that credit yet, and I understand that. It is earned over time. But we wouldn't be having the discussion over whether that was a great throw if Manning, or Brady, threw it. It would be understood. EJ made a nice completion, slightly behind Watkins (I think), Not to the point where he had to reach back, but not leading him either. A guy at the bar complained it was a bad throw because it didn't hit him in stride. On the replay I pointed out, a throw that would have hit him in stride, may have also been successfully defended by the DB who was closing in quickly.

My point is, this micro analysis of every EJ pass is getting ridiculous. Perfect pass? What the hell does that really mean? Clearly it was a terrific throw, and a great defensive play. I actually think the more we see Bills WRs make great plays, the better it suggest EJ is playing.

Et tu, OC?

At least OC is saying rookie from a data analysis standpoint. That's better than most.

Et tu....what? You know how I approach problems: with unfettered logic, PROPER analytical methodology, and a full command of the English dictionary.

When I say EJ is a Rookie, that's because by all reasonable definitions, logically, statistically, and in NFL football English: he is.

I am quite tired of the "special rules for EJ" that I see on this board, from both sides.

Much could be gained by everyone here: watching another football game, paying attention to the QBs, and seeing, objectively, how often they FAIL/WIN, then, comparing what you see, once again, objectively, to EJ. Now that I am once again shackled by the taskmaster that is fantasy football(3 teams no less), I'm back to having to do precisely that.

Let me tell you all: the QB play I've seen around this league, especially from the "stars", so far, does NOT have the variance it once did. This sure as hell is NOT the early 90s. There's plenty of FAIL, especially from the "stars", doubly so for the "young stars"(um, RG3, Kapernick, Wilson, anyone?), to go around. Imagine if Tannehill was our QB....you don't have to: go read the boards of other teams around the league. Hardly anyone is happy with their QB play.

Then ask yourselves this question: why was ESPN's Sunday Top Ten Plays focused on "one-handed catches"?(Spiller's run came in at #10)

Answer: because exactly NONE of those balls were thrown accurately, by the EJ-hater side's "special rules for EJ" standard.

Et tu....what? You know how I approach problems: with unfettered logic, PROPER analytical methodology, and a full command of the English dictionary.

When I say EJ is a Rookie, that's because by all reasonable definitions, logically, statistically, and in NFL football English: he is.

Say what? By dictionary definition, for a sportsperson/athlete, he most definitely isn't a rookie.

He is? I think he just said "time to get on the bandwagon."

Unless he is writing in code or something. And if you don't think there are bashers, search "EJ" "never" "NFL" "QB" and see how many posts come up.

I have been criticized a couple of times in this thread for pointing out shortcomings of EJ. To those people, I am a basher. Read through the thread and tell me I am wrong.

Poppycock GG, (And I typically agree with most of what you have to say.) By ANY NFL standard it was a great throw, In stride, in his hands. Should have been caught, actually, as Watkins had both hands on the ball. The defensive back made a great play.

I have to agree with The Dean here. While not a absolutely perfect throw, you can't ask any NFL QB to place it any better than Manuel did.

If Manuel gets to the point that he is that accurate, particularly at that distance, the majority of the time the Bills are going to be very very difficult to beat.

I am quite tired of the "special rules for EJ" that I see on this board, from both sides.

Much could be gained by everyone here: watching another football game, paying attention to the QBs, and seeing, objectively, how often they FAIL/WIN, then, comparing what you see, once again, objectively, to EJ. Now that I am once again shackled by the taskmaster that is fantasy football(3 teams no less), I'm back to having to do precisely that.

Let me tell you all: the QB play I've seen around this league, especially from the "stars", so far, does NOT have the variance it once did. This sure as hell is NOT the early 90s. There's plenty of FAIL, especially from the "stars", doubly so for the "young stars"(um, RG3, Kapernick, Wilson, anyone?), to go around. Imagine if Tannehill was our QB....you don't have to: go read the boards of other teams around the league. Hardly anyone is happy with their QB play.

Then ask yourselves this question: why was ESPN's Sunday Top Ten Plays focused on "one-handed catches"?(Spiller's run came in at #10)

Answer: because exactly NONE of those balls were thrown accurately, by the EJ-hater side's "special rules for EJ" standard.

Was Aaron Rodgers a rookie when he started his first game for Green Bay? Three years after he was drafted?