If Bills stayed @9 in 2014 draft, who would they have picked?

truth on hold

You're assuming Watkins won't be a bust. Detroit went through a string of drafting "can't-miss" WRs in the 1st before getting a great one. And, with the premise that half 1st rounders are busts, you have twice the chance of not get a bust if you draft 2 (2014 & 2015) than just 1 (2014).

That is the difference between Watkins and the others. Most everyone said he was virtually bust proof, and the safest pick in the draft. None of the busts that Detroit had were close to him, only Megatron was thought to be bust proof. You don't make that trade for any WR in the last 5-6 years except Julio Jones and AJ Green, whom the same people in the know described the way they did Watkins.

That is the difference between Watkins and the others. Most everyone said he was virtually bust proof, and the safest pick in the draft. None of the busts that Detroit had were close to him, only Megatron was thought to be bust proof. You don't make that trade for any WR in the last 5-6 years except Julio Jones and AJ Green, whom the same people in the know described the way they did Watkins.

On the money here. I'd hate the trade if Sammy was a question. The only question with him is how awesome? I just feel it's that safe based on talent, work ethic, attitude, etc.

If you cant see that Watkins doesnt fall in that category I dont even know what to tell you.

Watkins is "special"....he doesnt even fall into the group of very good wrs.....he falls into its only a matter of time before he starts domianting games

Sammy hasn't even shown that he can stay on the field. It's a stretch to say he's special yet, 3 catches and you think he's special? Besides, no WR is going to dominate a game with EJ as the QB.

Benjamin is a freak. I love sammy but I think if we could have done a trade back and grabbed another 2nd we would have had a great draft.

Benjamin blew off a workout and there were some character questions. He was far from a sure thing. Dude is really talented.

And it would have been Ebron. Our team history of TEs is pathetic.

shazier and pryor are going to be very good, pro-bowl-calliber players.

As much as I disliked the idea, before the draft I figured Donald and Pryor would have been the best available players to the Bills at 9 and Shazier would have been the best player available to them in round 2.

I hate first round DB's and taking another LB wasn't what I wanted to see but they looked like they were going to be bpa's to me.

That said I would have taken Manziel at 9 and not looked back. QB is just that much more important than any other position and i don't buy into that no-competition for young QB's nonsense. If Manziel pans out his impact will be huge on the field and perhaps billions of dollars off the field, legions of new fans(which is desperately needed after 14 bad seasons) and a good QB will be playing at a high level long after the rest of your draft has retired.

Probably would have been Eric Ebron from all reports after the draft, it makes the Sammy trade look even better reports out of Detroit are Ebron is really struggling with the learning curb going from college to pros that and questionable hands, Bills already have a TE that can't catch a football.

As much as I disliked the idea, before the draft I figured Donald and Pryor would have been the best available players to the Bills at 9 and Shazier would have been the best player available to them in round 2.

I hate first round DB's and taking another LB wasn't what I wanted to see but they looked like they were going to be bpa's to me.

That said I would have taken Manziel at 9 and not looked back. QB is just that much more important than any other position and i don't buy into that no-competition for young QB's nonsense. If Manziel pans out his impact will be huge on the field and perhaps billions of dollars off the field, legions of new fans(which is desperately needed after 14 bad seasons) and a good QB will be playing at a high level long after the rest of your draft has retired.

Agree on Donald and Pryor but couldn't disagree more on Manziel. He shouldn't have even gone in the first. Product of a great system (Case Keenum set records, his replacement brought his record for passing in the first gAme!) and played with insanely good talent.

Manziel would have been one of the worst picks in team history. Especially at 9.

Can't believe in retrospect given his already questionable character and work ethic issues, anybody would still have taken Johnny F#%&k up in the first round.

Assuming the top 8 stayed the same, starting @ 9 the next 10 available guys were:

Anthony Barr, LB

Eric Ebron, TE

Taylor Lewin, OT

Odell Beckham, WR

Aaron Donald, DT

Kyle Fuller, CB

Ryan Shazier, LB

Zack Martin, G

C. J. Mosely, LB

Calvin Pryor, S

My guess is Lewin since we know they went OT in Rd2. And then best TE available in Rd2 which would have been Jace Amaro.

:thumbsup:

I was huge fan of Shazier coming out and think he will be a star in the league, but I couldn't make a case for the Bills taking him at 9 with the choice that was likely available. If they traded back 3 or 4 spots it made more sense to me... and had I known Kiko was going to get injured I maybe could have talked myself into him at 9. He is a hell of a football player.

In terms of the offensive weapons alternatives.... I liked Mike Evans as well (made a boneheaded play on Sunday but I think he will be a good NFL receiver) but it became apparent he wasn't going to make it past Tampa... I think that might have been what convinced the Bills to move up for Sammy. I think there were questions marks about all the other guys, Ebron, Beckham, Benjamin, Lee etc..... and they thought if we want an impact guy and Evans isn't going to fall that far we are either going to be reaching for a guy or we might as well try and get up for the top player on our board. The move was a risk, no doubt about that, giving away a 1st is always a risk... but you can see the logic at play. It was a calculation not just a whim.

Edited by GunnerBill

Its been reported that it was Ebron. However, I like to ask people who said that in retrospect that we should have taken Shazier. Im just curious how that would work given Kill should be back next year and Bradham has stepped up considerably. What would we do with him? Do you see him starting over Bradham? Or is it a reaction to Browns play/Rivers injury? Or would you have him in there on passing downs spelling Spikes? Just a conversation starter inside of a conversation.