Hackett Shocker!

PolishDave

In the Bills’ first possession it was run run pass as it seems like it always is to start a game. And the Bills quickly punted. I was thinking “here we go again” “did they learn nothing from last year?”

Then later on when we get deep in the red zone he pulls that QB keeper play out where EJ easily jogs into the endzone. Great play call!

I found myself saying great play call a few times today. And that was something that lacked pretty much the entire season last year in my opinion. I wish we would start the games a bit differently. And start the second half differently too in most of these games. But, today was a big step forward.

He is getting better I think. Hackett Shocker!

Count me as a Hackett disbeliever and like you was shaking my head at the first series. But he called a solid game. They had to always account for the run. It made the passing game viable and the QB keeper effective. He also backed off the no huddle. It showed some growth on his part. Let's see if he keeps it up.

It's as if he was playing with a bunch of rookie QBs last year.

I have absolutely no idea what changed.

:D

The nice part of the CJ TD play was the play action. EJ faked the run, but CJ, the guy he was supposed to be faking to, never made one real motion as if it were to be a run. He just sprinted to the spot to make the catch so he was already at full speed when he caught it. Nice play.

I thought there were two backs and EJ was faking to Jackson while CJ flared out...I'll be watching it again.

It's as if he was playing with a bunch of rookie QBs last year.

I have absolutely no idea what changed.

:D

I thought there were two backs and EJ was faking to Jackson while CJ flared out...I'll be watching it again.

There were two backs. An offset I. I think it was Summers who immediately went to the left. But EJ faked to Spiller toward the right which CJ didnt bother to look like it was a fake. A nicely designed play.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I also liked the few times EJ changed the play and went under center. Brought play action into play and showed he had feel for what was going on around him.

Good point. He seemed to call out the blocking assignments like a vet more than a few times. Tough to know what actually happened though on those plays. He did seem in command.

In the Bills’ first possession it was run run pass as it seems like it always is to start a game. And the Bills quickly punted. I was thinking “here we go again” “did they learn nothing from last year?"

There wasn't anything wrong with the first drive. Chandler was wide open for a first down. Manuel threw an inaccurate pass and Chandler didn't make a catch he should have made. The thing to be "learned" from those two "issues" have absolutely zero to do with Hackett's play calling and everything to do with execution. That's been the real issue with the offense. Everyone can keep repeating the "Hackett's play calling sucks" line but its mostly garbage. The offense just needs to execute at a higher level to be successful.

Hackett called the read option play that EJ scored on. It worked because EJ kept the damn ball. He could have done exactly the same thing the previous play but he gave ball to Freddie instead. That play was available pretty much all day but Manuel chose to hand the ball off, with one exception. I openly wondered after FJ was stopped at the goal line if they'd run the same play the next down because no one paid EJ any attention because of his overwhelming tendency to put the rock in the RBs gut.

Hacket's play calling wasn't horrible but it wasn't great either. His tendency to always run on first down is an issue.

1st down is the easiest down to pass on because you, literally, have your entire playbook at your disposal. Consistently running on it makes it more difficult to run the ball AND puts your QB in a position to always have to throw on 3rd down , which is the most difficult down to throw on if there are more than 4 yards to go. So his tendency is making it more difficult on the run game and more difficult on the passing game.

He needs to mix it up more. I am fully behind a run offense and the pass/run ratio isn't a problem. It's his predictability that's going to be a problem.

There wasn't anything wrong with the first drive. Chandler was wide open for a first down. Manuel threw an inaccurate pass and Chandler didn't make a catch he should have made. The thing to be "learned" from those two "issues" have absolutely zero to do with Hackett's play calling and everything to do with execution. That's been the real issue with the offense. Everyone can keep repeating the "Hackett's play calling sucks" line but its mostly garbage. The offense just needs to execute at a higher level to be successful.

Well see that is where we disagree. You can't expect your team to execute plays that the defense expects them to run. This offense is not good enough to do that with consistency. The play caller needs to call plays that the defense doesn't expect and can't predict so that they have a better chance at execution.

I am tired of the Bills starting games with the run, run pass series. I don't like it because it seems like that often sets up a 3rd and 4, 5, or 6 situation. You are basically setting yourself up to have to convert lots of 3rd downs which is hard to do consistently to sustain drives. And you keep yourself out of situations where you can take a shot deep because you are too worried about just getting a first down.

In the Bills' second possession when they passed on first down, then they started moving the chains.

The other thing that happens in the run, run pass series is that even if you get 8 or 9 on the first two downs to setup 3rd and short, the Bills like to throw for that 3rd and short situation. Again, I don't like that either because it is too low of a percentage play. I want them to rely on the pass more often on first and second down. And then run more often on 3rd down. That is my personal preference. And I think it gives the Bills more opportunities to try big pass plays for big gains.

4 ball carriers including EJ 33 rushes for a total of 193 yards. That is how this team will get into the playoffs. Unlike last year teams will fear our passing game and that will help us make plays on the ground. Mr.Hackett, keep up the good work.

Edited by fansince88

4 ball carriers including EJ 33 rushes for a total of 193 yards. That is how this team will get into the playoffs. Unlike last year teams will fear our passing game and that will help us make plays on the ground. Mr.Hackett, keep up the good work.

:thumbsup:

Our Oline was better yesterday than anyone expected.

our qb has had a full training camp and isn't a rookie anymore. that was the difference in the game. holes for the runners and some pretty decent time for the qb to throw it. we didn't have much of that last year.

very encouraging to see.

As another poster asutely stated, the offense requires EJ to convert third downs routinely. It's almost a given with the tactical approach of moving the pile with first and second down run plays. Now and again you'll get a good gain but more often than not its a few yards here or there.

It worked well yesterday because Chicago had no idea what was coming being the first game of the season. With game film now available coupled with Miami's big defensive line, Hackett shouldn't rely on that particular strategy this coming Sunday in the first half. They know it's coming.

I'm no big fan of Hackett but to his credit he threw enough surprises in there yesterday to get the job done.

When we first started out I too was a little worried especially when Chicago just walked down the field. In the back of my mind I was saying this is going to be a long day. Then we bounced back. Something we couldn't do a year ago. I did say we would win but was nervous when we were down, but then the play calling was good. EJ should have thrown a little better and Chandler should have caught the ball. I put blame on both of them.

What made me really happy is the Bills used all the backs yesterday. No big stars running 200 yards a game, but each had a chance to contribute. It will keep them fresher and keep the Bills run game stronger. Hats off to the offensive lineman! Great job yesterday blocking. Chicago has some big name guys who have more sacks than our guys and they held them off. I can't express how important that is. The guys up front made things happen!

The Defense came up! I said 5 sacks, but Cutler did quick passes so 2 was great because Cutler had to take an extra time out to change his pants because the defense made him soil himself! Great plays on the ball, and our secondary did a good job containing them. Don't put down #21 too much as he caused a fumble and turned things around! Great job by them.

Our special teams was special. Great job by all as well. Good punting and hitting was incredible.

Time for OUR BILLS TO TAKE A DAY LIKE TODAY AND READ HOW THANKFUL WE FANS ARE OF THEM! Great job and just bring it next week as SUSHI is our specialty! SQUASH THE FINS BOYS!!!!!

Well see that is where we disagree. You can't expect your team to execute plays that the defense expects them to run. This offense is not good enough to do that with consistency. The play caller needs to call plays that the defense doesn't expect and can't predict so that they have a better chance at execution.

I am tired of the Bills starting games with the run, run pass series. I don't like it because it seems like that often sets up a 3rd and 4, 5, or 6 situation. You are basically setting yourself up to have to convert lots of 3rd downs which is hard to do consistently to sustain drives. And you keep yourself out of situations where you can take a shot deep because you are too worried about just getting a first down.

In the Bills' second possession when they passed on first down, then they started moving the chains.

The other thing that happens in the run, run pass series is that even if you get 8 or 9 on the first two downs to setup 3rd and short, the Bills like to throw for that 3rd and short situation. Again, I don't like that either because it is too low of a percentage play. I want them to rely on the pass more often on first and second down. And then run more often on 3rd down. That is my personal preference. And I think it gives the Bills more opportunities to try big pass plays for big gains.

I guess what Alaska is saying is that the offense needs to get better then.

We had 3 years with a gimmicky offense that "defenses didn't expect." We didn't do so great. Let's impose our will instead of running fleaflickers.