EJ isn't good enough? Not just another EJ thread.

stevestojan

Ok, so maybe it is.

But the Carolina game actually shows a lot. I've been as critical of him as anyone. So I decided to actually watch him again.

http://youtu.be/TemFKtDmKn4

My favorite part is not his play on the field, rather his quick conversation with Doug at 6:00+. EJ literally calms down his head coach.

I'm sure this will be locked, and mods, I haven't started a thread in years, but... Wait I have no excuse. I just love this video.

The first two and a half minutes made me wonder who was cutting onions in my house.

Go bills.

Signed,

An over served 2004 version of stevestojan.

This topic is being discussed everywhere.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[This is an automated response]

This subject matter is being currently being discussed or has already been discussed in a previous thread.

Please consider using the "search" function before starting new topics.

Thank you.

Wait....

I'm sure this will be locked, and mods, I haven't started a thread in years, but... Wait I have no excuse. I just love this video.

Okay, you get a pass, mostly because of the 2013 highlight video. But make sure this doesn't happen again.

Awesome video.

He wasn't really calming his coach down, more like reassuring Marrone that his QB was calm.

I think both EJ and Marrone are relatively cool under fire. They have similar demeanors and work ethics. They probably hit it off in the pre-draft interviews.

Obviously, it's important to have a good HC/QB dynamic and hopefully this is a good one for years to come.

Isn't it a bad thing when EJ's best games were at the beginning of the season?

Signed,

That funny taste in your Cheerios.

Even if that were true, which it isn't, you have to consider the subject is a rookie QB battling through multiple leg injuries.

Watching this and with all the talk about the stress and pressure on the team and coaches this year, especially manuel and Marrone... I hope that come game time they can loosen up and just coach/play like they were doing back then.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Why is anyone surprised by his actual play results which clearly suck about as bad as you want to judge them to be this preseason.

The answer is that:

1. He is by any rational judgment an athlete who was tremendously successful with a very talented teams in college and his size and the specific measures he racked up at the combine indicate he was a special college player.

2. Those who looked in depth at his college play did find a good guy and a solid team leader. However, he was also though rarely bad was a pretty inconsistent [layer in his great college career. When drafted he will provide a high potential upside for his new team, but make no mistake he Is an incredibly talented project. Being inconsistent with making the right read, relying on his feet and strength to run out of trouble is something he could do (and even prosper with) in college but will not fly in the pros. He likely will need a full season and probably more of reps before he becomes the QB we want and deserve. That being said he has enough talent and with the right coaching and training can become a good one.

3. He was the best available in the early rounds of his draft. The team needed a first or second round worthy pick in his draft and as the only college QBs who merited being picked that high on the college rep were Geno Smith and EJ the answer was clearly pick the one you want and trade down for talent if you can but get one of these two in the first two rounds.

4. The Bills braintrust appears to realize that EJ is simply not good enuf (yet) to lead the Bills to the playoffs as the QB we want. However, their Bills MUST at least compete for a playoff berth. They seem to be trying to build a TEAM capable of making the [layoffs because they haveacquired key players at WR and OL and to supplement EBs Jax and Spiller so this TEAM can win even with merely adequate QB play from EJ.

EJ is simply not good enuf at QB (yet) but the Bills hope to compete with solid RB, WR and better OL play!

Overall, having spent

I'm not ready to give up on him.

We shouldn't compare ourselves to the colts or Detroit, but when Detroit went 0-16 they won the preseason super bowl going undefeated.

when Peyton manning and the Colts were in their prime, they looked horrible in preseason.

What I saw was a team that moved the ball but couldn't punch it in. Not a huge issue, but a concern of course. Game planning and finding match ups will solve this.

On defense, our 1st team looked fantastic, I'm concerned about Gilmore, but that's another thread...

EJ looked the part, plays even better after adjustments and now with a back up can play his style, which is a lot of improvising.

EJ will be fine.

I've always been impressed by the kid's leadership. There are lots of people on this board in my experience who don't understand what leadership is... they think it is charging around getting in people's faces all the time and screaming at people when things go wrong. Leadership is about not losing it when things go wrong it is about control, no more and no less. EJ has great control in his demeanour, I'd like to see a little more control on some of his throws but fingers crossed it comes. He is the kind of kid I can't help but root for.

Edited by GunnerBill

Ok, so maybe it is.

But the Carolina game actually shows a lot. I've been as critical of him as anyone. So I decided to actually watch him again.

My favorite part is not his play on the field, rather his quick conversation with Doug at 6:00+. EJ literally calms down his head coach.

The first two and a half minutes made me wonder who was cutting onions in my house.

Go bills.

Signed,

I nearly didn't click on this thread thinking "Sure....not just another EJ thread...pfft". But then I saw you as the thread starter and thought "Hang on, that can't be right.....maybe it isn't just another EJ thread."

And now I have clicked.....it pretty much is just another EJ thread.....but it's different as well. I was actually tempted to start the same sort of thread the other day. It was just the other day that I recalled the Panthers game. That euphoria at the end of that game!!!! It was palpable. The buildup....and the relief that we not only didn't blow the game in typical heartbreaking Bills tradition....but that our young QB did it. He won the game for us!

Things obviously haven't gone along the trajectory that we would have liked, but anyone who remembers how they felt at the end of that game has to be pumped for the Bears game. If EJ is gonna suck.....he'll suck....but I'm rooting for that Panthers game feeling until I'm shown otherwise.

I am so pumped for this game!

Go Bills!

Ok, so maybe it is.

Go bills.

Signed,

Nicely presented steve

Good QBs also have great WRs who make acrobatic catches. He just needs to put it where they can make a play, which he did. You saw that inside-shoulder placement to Woods early in the game, right? Perfect throw that allows Woods to beat the DB, despite good coverage.