ESPN Power Rankings/Watkins Trade

Gabe Northern

I don't care about draft picks. I want to win. The browns win the draft pick derby every year and get nowhere. Their offense would have been on a different level this year if they took Sammy, but they decided they wouldn't despite knowing Gordon was suspended and having absolutely zero depth. Its not like they have a QB that makes WRs better like Brady or Manning. They need WRs to make their QB better, like us and other teams in the league. Yet they look to next year - they won the draft! Screw 2014! Just like they screwed 2013 when they traded Richardson. Everyone loved the trade for the browns but unfortunately their running game went out the window when they traded him. Trich was not successful last year for Indy but he WAS successful for the Browns in 2012 and he played his whole rookie year with cracked ribs. For once, the Browns should try to win now instead of flashing their draft picks. Even when they do make the pick instead of trading it, they don't always take the right guy. Only one of the players they took with the haul they got from the Julio Jones trade is still on the team. Almost of their 53-man roster is UDFAs.

Any position/hole we need/want to fill in the 1st next year we can get in FA. They weren't going to take another QB in the 1st anyway as much as everyone here thinks they would have. They just spent a 1st on EJ last year. I am not saying whether they should or shouldn't - I am saying I do not think they would have.

Spot on Yolo.Good post.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's interesting that the more preseason progresses, the more people are hyping him up. Geez, I even read he was a "generational" talent earlier today. What has changed?

um.... He was first team all American his true freshman year. The hype didn't come out of no where. Only 5 freshman first team all Americans in the history of NCAA. Go look....

I don't think EJ will suck, I think he'll have a decent but not spectacular year. Just enough that we are forced to be all in on him again. While I would not have made the trade for Sammy that is why it doesn't bother me so much. I don't see them going after a QB until the next year. Even if we wanted one, I don't see our pick being high enough to go after the golden arm.

View the trade in terms of the price to pay to get the best player on their draft board. It's not like that if they move on from EJ that Sammy gets left behind too. If Sammy has a HoF type career, it was more than worth the price.

I do not see how this team is worse than last years as it starts the season. The statement that Orton is needed to get them to .500 is plain stupid. EJ was .500 last year if SJ or Chandler protect the ball. Yes, with the steep rookie learning curve and injuries and lost practice time, EJ still did enough last year to be a .500 QB.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

I think we should go on record as to whom from the 2014 draft we would nominate to have more of an impact as a WR than Sammy. Evans? Benjamin? Beckham? I'll even throw in Ebron. I did like Jordan Matthews as a 2nd round talent if the Bills had gone OT in the first.

The Bills think Sammy was the best offensive talent in the draft and the closest to a sure thing to improve the team. I can accept their move.

View the trade in terms of the price to pay to get the best player on their draft board. It's not like that if they move on from EJ that Sammy gets left behind too. If Sammy has a HoF type career, it was more than worth the price.

I do not see how this team is worse than last years as it starts the season. The statement that Orton is needed to get them to .500 is plain stupid. EJ was .500 last year if SJ or Chandler protect the ball. Yes, with the steep rookie learning curve and injuries and lost practice time, EJ still did enough last year to be a .500 QB.

I think if we make the playoffs and he helps this offense, it was worth the price. I don't care whether he makes the HOF.

Browns expected to draft 3rd and 4th next April. See: http://espn.go.com/n...ear/2014/week/1

For those people who liked the Watkins trade: Even if you think basically every prediction is wrong and biased against the Bills, don't you think it's at least a little crazy to trade #9 to move up to #4 if next year's selection has a reasonable chance of landing in the top 5?

Virtually every preview I've seen has the Bills picking in the top 10 next year. Watkins would have to be Hall of Fame bound for this trade to make sense.

It all depends on what kind of player you expect Sammy Wakins to be.

If he ends up turning into Green or Julius........the pick is a slam dunk.

BUMP

not ESPN but still a ranking

Pat Kiwrin

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pat-kirwan/24702551/nfl-power-rankings-can-cards-make-it-a-3-team-race-in-tough-nfc-west

from # 4 (in most polls) to # 12 (1 behind the Dolphins)

From # 28 ish to # 21

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/powerrankings

from # 5 to # 9 (4 above the Dolphins)

From # 29 to # 21

FYI, they keep the URL consistent when updating... so you can always log in on tuesday and see how things go, if you care:

http://espn.go.com/n...nkings/_/week/2

Edit:

To expand, you can see previous years by modifying the following URL:

http://espn.go.com/n...ear/2013/week/2

and there's always the team ranking page

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/rankings/_/name/buf/buffalo-bills

Edited by Dorkington

Who cares what the Bills thought. They are never right.

This team is no where near ready to tear down that 7-9 wall

i respectfully disagree. i think there is a great mix of veterans and youngsters on this team with a bunch of legitimate nfl talent. i think there is a hunger to win burning in the bellies of some of the older vets and a desire to be great in the hearts of some of the youngsters. it's time!

I don't get how the Bills are ranked lower than the team they beat in their house? And why is Tennessee so adored? Is Jake Locker that much better than EJ? Is their defense any better than ours?

One game doesn't make a season. They still think the Bears are a better team than the Bills, and will finish with a better record. It's not rocket science.

If you think Watkins is a generational talent, then you absolutely make the move to get him. The only other generational talents at the receiver position that have played in my lifetime are Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, and Calvin Johnson. If that's who Watkins is, then it doesn't matter what you gave up next season. Even if EJ isn't the answer, and they wind up deciding to try and acquire a new QB in 2015, they'd have him throwing to Watkins with two years under his belt, and Robert Woods with three.

AJ Green and Larry Fitzerald are in that mix, too. And these are in fact guys that Watkins was getting compared to in terms of what he can do for an offense.

One game doesn't make a season. They still think the Bears are a better team than the Bills, and will finish with a better record. It's not rocket science.

Not rocket science? Explain why Tennessee and Vikings ranked above the Bills? Vikes beat Rams who had worse record and playing without QB and Tennessee beat Chiefs?

Not rocket science? Explain why Tennessee and Vikings ranked above the Bills? Vikes beat Rams who had worse record and playing without QB and Tennessee beat Chiefs?

As Dorkington said "They still think they are a better team than the Bills".

It's mathematically impossible to rank each team solely on head-to-head match-ups. If Oakland were to play and beat Seattle next week (they don't play them next week), nobody in their right mind would think Oak is the better team. Not even the people in Oakland.

Based on what, exactly? Cutler?

It's not like we dominated them. They outgained us in yards and the game was a tossup going into OT. We won the game because we won the turnover battle.