Over/under for Orton starts this season

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see a repeat of RJ/Holcomb here, and don't think the coaching staff will bail on EJ unless sustained incompetence exceeds what is likely.

I view any starts he misses as being injury related, and I don't have any real reason to expect his unfortunate knee injuries from last year to be predictive.

That said, Dante Culpepper only played 16 games three times in his career, and being a big body Big Ben only twice in his career, so the big powerful somewhat mobile but not super agile model isn't the best to shatter Favre's games played record.

I'm taking the under at 2, expecting them to be related to some minor nicks, and 14 games played when healthy.

LOL with all this Orton stuff. You guys do realize that his career numbers are essentially the same as EJ's one rookie year right? I love that a guy who was jettisoned in favor of Tebow, not good enough for Chicago, and essentially a career backup who had a short stint as a starter in multiple cities but could never keep the job (another Fitzcraptrick) now is somehow the anointed starter by fans here.

1. Ortons stats are about the SAME as EJ's

2. Orton has PROVEN exactly what he is...decent backup, below average starter with NO upside.

3. EJ as a rookie, who missed critical development time and also lost many of his starters at all the skill positions to injury for periods last year, put the SAME numbers up. He has a ton of upside.

4. Orton just got here, doesn't know the players, doesn't know the playbook, and hasn't played very many meaningful snaps in years.

How in the hell is Orton a better choice? EJ's worst year is on par with Ortons career. EJ has a ton of upside, Orton ZERO. EJ is a multidimensional player, Orton is not. EJ knows the players and offense, Orton does not. EJ is an ascending player, Orton is not.

This board has literally become unbearable again. EJ may or may not have a good year, its yet to be seen. But regardless, this is EJ's team and this kid will get the WHOLE year to play barring injury. They invested in EJ, gave him weapons, and they will give him this year to prove he's the guy. They are not going to yank him for a journeyman backup QB who may not even have the passion to play anymore. There is NO value in it. Even if EJ struggles the first 8 weeks, they will not give up on him after just 18 games...he will finish the year to see if he can progress or not.

Orton will play ZERO games unless there is an injury. I will gladly take the under for any amount of money someone wants to bet.

Why do you think EJ's bosses just paid lured a guy out of retirement with low end starter money and just cycled through 3 other backups if they're going to give him the whole year no matter what?

The latest rumor -- courtesy of Jason Cole via Bleacher Report (so take it for what it's worth) -- is that EJ basically has the first four games to show he has made significant improvement or the team won't hesitate to insert Orton.

Cole repeated that "several" Bills' staffers and players expressed concern to the organization late last season that EJ doesn't have what it takes to be an NFL starter. It is presumed that is one of the reasons why Stevie Johnson was traded.

Mind you, I'm only "reporting" this news -- not stating my own opinion on the issue.

If what they report is accurate about EJ's short leash then I'd say take the over.

The latest rumor -- courtesy of Jason Cole via Bleacher Report (so take it for what it's worth) -- is that EJ basically has the first four games to show he has made significant improvement or the team won't hesitate to insert Orton.

Cole repeated that "several" Bills' staffers and players expressed concern to the organization late last season that EJ doesn't have what it takes to be an NFL starter. It is presumed that is one of the reasons why Stevie Johnson was traded.

Mind you, I'm only "reporting" this news -- not stating my own opinion on the issue.

If what they report is accurate about EJ's short leash then I'd say take the over.

The SJ trade part sounds silly, but that is the way that I've interpreted this move. Given that this whole team is essentially trying out for new management, it makes sense that Whaley and Marrone might not want to bet their careers on EJ Manuel.

I think the Bills will give Manuel THREE games to prove himself. If he plays like he did in the preseason he will be replaced by Orton. It's just a matter of time really.

Orton wouldn't have signed with the Bills and the Bills wouldn't have paid him $5M for this season if they weren't planning to make such a move.

i think Orton will be starting by Week 4.

Of course, Manuel is somewhat injury prone, so it could be even sooner just based upon injury.