Art Briles; the new chip Kelly

Watching the Baylor game you see how explosive an unorthodox they are offensively. They also are just as radical on Defense the first few plays they had everybody on the line of scrimmage bringing insane pressure. Their DC said we always strive for three and outs to get the ball back to the O, which is definitely my style of play.

Art Also had this to say:

" We are going to score, and we are going to win. “We do not try to go to the body to set up the knockout shot, We try to score on every snap.”

This reminds me a lot of Chip Kelly, who I think will be very successful in the NFL and is the kind of coach I hope Pegula brings here.

Here is more on Art and his philosophy;

"At Stephenville and Houston, Briles earned a reputation as a motivator and as a coach for whom players loved to play. His ability to articulate a vision for his program, even in the darkest of times, is why he has been able to surround himself with good players, good coaches, and good people at every stop."

"Ask any offensive-minded football coach how he plans to attack a defense and at some point — maybe after talking about establishing the run, or about getting the ball to his best players — he’ll say that his offense is designed to stretch the defense horizontally and vertically. The idea of using the entire field has long been part of basic football theory, but most offenses don’t follow through on that promise. When you watch the Bears, it’s evident that this is an offense unlike the others. While more and more college and NFL teams are adopting the same up-tempo spread philosophy Briles used at Stephenville, Baylor has stayed one step ahead by taking these ideas — from formations to play-calling aggressiveness to pace — to their extremes."

"Two weeks removed from Baylor’s 73-point, 872-yard thrashing of West Virginia, WVU defensive coordinator Keith Patterson described the loss as “unlike anything I’ve ever been associated with in my entire life. It was just catastrophic in a lot of ways to our psyche.”

http://grantland.com/features/chris-brown-how-art-briles-potent-offense-made-baylor-national-title-contender/

All I can say is WOW just WOW. This guy is a flat out offensive genus. I love his concepts.

I like how he makes teams cover every inch of the field and forces there hand.

Man If Pegula gets the Bills the first call I make is to this guy asking him to be my

Next head coach and offensive coordinator. I pay him 7 million a year and let him go to work.

Edited by billsareback

THIS guy is an offensive or coaching genius??? and EJ's a bust?????

Baylor Bears (Big 12 Conference) (2008–present) 2008 Baylor 4–8 2–6 T–5th (South) 2009 Baylor 4–8 1–7 6th (South) 2010 Baylor 7–6 4–4 4th (South) L Texas 2011 Baylor 10–3 6–3 T–3rd W Alamo 12 13 2012 Baylor 8–5 4–5 T–5th W Holiday 2013 Baylor 11–2 8–1 1st L Fiesta 13 13 2014 Baylor 1–0 0–0 Baylor: 45–32 25–26 Total: 79–60

It is guys like Kelly and Briles that make college football so interesting to follow. College football is now the cradle for innovation and change in the game, and Kelly is proving that some of those concepts are viable in the NFL. It is not a gimmick--it is forward-thinking and it is here to stay. I would love for the Bills to hire someone like this--for once,

If I had to fire Marrone and take a coach from the college ranks I'd pick Sumlin and it wouldn't even be close. When I lived in Houston he did so many crazy things at UH and when he took the job at College Station a lot of people felt he was to young and to inexperienced. Look how that panned out.

As always, DC's will come up with a way to stop it, just like the pistol, read option, no huddle, wildcat and other innovations preceding it.

it's not about tricks or gimmicks it's about using the whole field. Obviously DCs will come up with something but there are always basics that work because if not no one would ever score.

All I can say is WOW just WOW. This guy is a flat out offensive genus. I love his concepts.

I like how he makes teams cover every inch of the field and forces there hand.

Man If Pegula gets the Bills the first call I make is to this guy asking him to be my

Next head coach and offensive coordinator. I pay him 7 million a year and let him go to work.

pretty much.

I'd be just as excited with Harbaugh too as he is proven in the NFL.

If I had to fire Marrone and take a coach from the college ranks I'd pick Sumlin and it wouldn't even be close. When I lived in Houston he did so many crazy things at UH and when he took the job at College Station a lot of people felt he was to young and to inexperienced. Look how that panned out.

I think Sumlin is the most intriguing college coach right now. I would of loved the Bills to have gone after him.

It is guys like Kelly and Briles that make college football so interesting to follow. College football is now the cradle for innovation and change in the game, and Kelly is proving that some of those concepts are viable in the NFL. It is not a gimmick--it is forward-thinking and it is here to stay. I would love for the Bills to hire someone like this--for once,

I think Marrone and Hackett want to be innovative but might not be able to.

Briles was at Houston too, I wonder if they worked together? Sumlin wouldn't be bad either.

The Marrone/Hackett offense doesn't spread the field often enough. They're not stupid, they understand why spreading a defense gives your playmakers the advantage. I think they use tight formations so much because they aren't confident in their Oline. You HAVE to have 5 guys up front that can dominate most of the time against most opponents. I just don't see that.

But their package play philosophy is a page taken directly from the contemporary trends in college football.

GO BILLS!!!

The Marrone/Hackett offense doesn't spread the field often enough. They're not stupid, they understand why spreading a defense gives your playmakers the advantage. I think they use tight formations so much because they aren't confident in their Oline. You HAVE to have 5 guys up front that can dominate most of the time against most opponents. I just don't see that.

But their package play philosophy is a page taken directly from the contemporary trends in college football.

GO BILLS!!!

I got the impression that spread O-lineman didn't have to the greatest as they didn't need to hold their blocks that long nor run opponents over.

Watching the Baylor game you see how explosive an unorthodox they are offensively. They also are just as radical on Defense the first few plays they had everybody on the line of scrimmage bringing insane pressure. Their DC said we always strive for three and outs to get the ball back to the O, which is definitely my style of play.

Art Also had this to say:

" We are going to score, and we are going to win. “We do not try to go to the body to set up the knockout shot, We try to score on every snap.”

This reminds me a lot of Chip Kelly, who I think will be very successful in the NFL and is the kind of coach I hope Pegula brings here.

Here is more on Art and his philosophy;

"At Stephenville and Houston, Briles earned a reputation as a motivator and as a coach for whom players loved to play. His ability to articulate a vision for his program, even in the darkest of times, is why he has been able to surround himself with good players, good coaches, and good people at every stop."

"Ask any offensive-minded football coach how he plans to attack a defense and at some point — maybe after talking about establishing the run, or about getting the ball to his best players — he’ll say that his offense is designed to stretch the defense horizontally and vertically. The idea of using the entire field has long been part of basic football theory, but most offenses don’t follow through on that promise. When you watch the Bears, it’s evident that this is an offense unlike the others. While more and more college and NFL teams are adopting the same up-tempo spread philosophy Briles used at Stephenville, Baylor has stayed one step ahead by taking these ideas — from formations to play-calling aggressiveness to pace — to their extremes."

"Two weeks removed from Baylor’s 73-point, 872-yard thrashing of West Virginia, WVU defensive coordinator Keith Patterson described the loss as “unlike anything I’ve ever been associated with in my entire life. It was just catastrophic in a lot of ways to our psyche.”

http://grantland.com/features/chris-brown-how-art-briles-potent-offense-made-baylor-national-title-contender/

Love it! Bring him in.

I got the impression that spread O-lineman didn't have to the greatest as they didn't need to hold their blocks that long nor run opponents over.

That depends on the depth of the pass plays called but yeah, that's usually the case. Spread offenses are particularly vulnerable at the edges and easy to beat with overload pressure. It's incumbent on everybody making the right reads. And I submit that you need guys who can totally dominate their opponent in the run game. But even the best spread offenses will have poor games against great defense. Kelly had fits against the Steelers back in the day on several occasions, for instance. I just get the impression our coaches lack confidence to do it more often.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

As always, DC's will come up with a way to stop it, just like the pistol, read option, no huddle, wildcat and other innovations preceding it.

it's not about tricks or gimmicks it's about using the whole field. Obviously DCs will come up with something but there are always basics that work because if not no one would ever score.

For sure. It's so easy and cool to say "that won't work in the big leagues". For f*** sake they were saying it after one game when the Eagles offense slowed down in the 2nd half in Washington (as if they were supposed to put up 50 points). Except that Chip Kelly is not a 1 trick pony in the mold of Woody Hayes - I think that's the big misconception. He's an innovator who exploits weaknesses. Just so happened the spread was the way to do that in college. I do think NFL defenses will adjust (Nick freaking Foles can't look like a superstar forever) and then he'll adjust to something else.

But I mean it's nice and safe to hire an old NFL vet who punts on 4th&2 and loses because nobody can say "this isn't college" when they go 6-10.

Edited by BuffOrange

For sure. It's so easy and cool to say "that won't work in the big leagues". For f*** sake they were saying it after one game when the Eagles offense slowed down in the 2nd half in Washington (as if they were supposed to put up 50 points). Except that Chip Kelly is not a 1 trick pony in the mold of Woody Hayes - I think that's the big misconception. He's an innovator who exploits weaknesses. Just so happened the spread was the way to do that in college. I do think NFL defenses will adjust (Nick freaking Foles can't look like a superstar forever) and then he'll adjust to something else.

But I mean it's nice and safe to hire an old NFL vet who punts on 4th&2 and loses because nobody can say "this isn't college" when they go 6-10.

Maybe Chip is that good.

That depends on the depth of the pass plays called but yeah, that's usually the case. Spread offenses are particularly vulnerable at the edges and easy to beat with overload pressure. It's incumbent on everybody making the right reads. And I submit that you need guys who can totally dominate their opponent in the run game. But even the best spread offenses will have poor games against great defense. Kelly had fits against the Steelers back in the day on several occasions, for instance. I just get the impression our coaches lack confidence to do it more often.

GO BILLS!!!

probably true