Art Briles; the new chip Kelly

Watching the Baylor game you see how explosive an unorthodox they are offensively. They also are just as radical on Defense the first few plays they had everybody on the line of scrimmage bringing insane pressure. Their DC said we always strive for three and outs to get the ball back to the O, which is definitely my style of play.

Art Also had this to say:

" We are going to score, and we are going to win. “We do not try to go to the body to set up the knockout shot, We try to score on every snap.”

This reminds me a lot of Chip Kelly, who I think will be very successful in the NFL and is the kind of coach I hope Pegula brings here.

Here is more on Art and his philosophy;

"At Stephenville and Houston, Briles earned a reputation as a motivator and as a coach for whom players loved to play. His ability to articulate a vision for his program, even in the darkest of times, is why he has been able to surround himself with good players, good coaches, and good people at every stop."

"Ask any offensive-minded football coach how he plans to attack a defense and at some point — maybe after talking about establishing the run, or about getting the ball to his best players — he’ll say that his offense is designed to stretch the defense horizontally and vertically. The idea of using the entire field has long been part of basic football theory, but most offenses don’t follow through on that promise. When you watch the Bears, it’s evident that this is an offense unlike the others. While more and more college and NFL teams are adopting the same up-tempo spread philosophy Briles used at Stephenville, Baylor has stayed one step ahead by taking these ideas — from formations to play-calling aggressiveness to pace — to their extremes."

"Two weeks removed from Baylor’s 73-point, 872-yard thrashing of West Virginia, WVU defensive coordinator Keith Patterson described the loss as “unlike anything I’ve ever been associated with in my entire life. It was just catastrophic in a lot of ways to our psyche.”

http://grantland.com...itle-contender/

After Gailey was fired, I wanted Chip Kelly to become the Bills' next head coach. I was very sad when the Eagles snapped him up. :(

That said, Kelly probably isn't the only innovative, outside-the-box, brilliant college coach out there. The description you've given fits the mold of what I'm looking for.

My buddy is a sports anchor in Waco and has interviewed Briles several times. He will never leave the state of Texas even to coach in the NFL and Buffalo is about as different from Texas as it gets. Once Charlie Strong gets fired at UT that is where he will end up but that'll be a couple of years. Briles has turned Baylor from an afterthought to one of, if not the, preeminent football powers in the state of Texas. He's got a brand new stadium and is hell bent on starting a tradition at Baylor. His book is an excellent read if you want some insight into him as a man, he's gone through some terrible family tragedies and he's one of the few people in sports I can point to and say I admire.