EJ is the guy, but....

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is correct.

For some reason, a lot of Bills fans want to pretend this is not the case, b/c it feels good to pretend we DO have a good QB.

Virtually NO ONE says the Bills already have a good QB. No one ever says it and yet you and everyone like you, with apparently zero understanding of the English language, continue to say that a lot of Bills fans think he is great and think he is a franchise quarterback.

No one says that.

Everyone that supports him says give him some time, it's too early to tell, he's not horrible, other great quarterbacks had slow starts, he needs a chance, he has some skills. No one says he is great and no one thinks he's already great and no one says he's a lock to be great. Can you not read?

And when I say no one I of course mean 99%. There has to be some idiot who thinks he's already great but I don't ever remember seeing it here. And saying he played good or very good r even great in one game also does not mean you think he is great. It means he has a chance to do it again some time.

Eric Wood has been here for more than a few years now and spoke pretty highly of EJ's preparation. That bond and that respect from your center are important. If he says so, I believe him.

Preparation doesn't necessarily equal knowledge. EJ could be watching tape and reading his playbook to 1am, but this doesn't mean he knows the offense. Plus, after years of being on Florida State, didn't they also have to simplify the playbook for EJ?

No one ever says it and yet you and everyone like you, with apparently zero understanding of the English language...

That's not a very nice thing to say.

They didn't give Orton $5 million to stand on the sideline and operate the tablet. That should speak for itself. Marrone, Hackett, Whaley- their jobs are all on the line as there is a new owner on the way. They have to win this season. They can't give EJ another year to develop. If he does not win games early he will sit. They did it to themselves. I don't feel sorry for any of them.

And I think, by signing Orton, that they admit EJ hasn't developed as quickly as they'd like. So many factors are contributing to the decision to sign Orton, namely the idea they must win this year. There are no excuses left with Sammy on board combined with the other offensive weapons.

It's a good sign, albeit late, that they acknowledge the QB position wasn't appropriately addressed. I'm guessing that's why Marrone and Whaley were at odds on the field while Trusst Brandon looked on.

Virtually NO ONE says the Bills already have a good QB. No one ever says it and yet you and everyone like you, with apparently zero understanding of the English language, continue to say that a lot of Bills fans think he is great and think he is a franchise quarterback.

No one says that.

Everyone that supports him says give him some time, it's too early to tell, he's not horrible, other great quarterbacks had slow starts, he needs a chance, he has some skills. No one says he is great and no one thinks he's already great and no one says he's a lock to be great. Can you not read?

And when I say no one I of course mean 99%. There has to be some idiot who thinks he's already great but I don't ever remember seeing it here. And saying he played good or very good r even great in one game also does not mean you think he is great. It means he has a chance to do it again some time.

Thank you for clarifying your position. I would say the critical distinction between you and those like you, and me and those like me, is that I do not believe it is too early to tell that EJ will never be a good NFL QB.

He has done a wonderfully consistent job of being the same EJ throughout his career and what we have seen so far is what we get. Take it or leave it.

Will he improve a bit over time? Probably! Will it be meaningful improvement? No.

Who knows; he might morph into a game manager type who won't kill you with bone headed play. But I want so much more from my starting QB than that. Don't you!?

Edited by Stopthepain

Thank you for clarifying your position. I would say the critical distinction between you and those like you, and me and those like me, is that I do not believe it is too early to tell that EJ will never be a good NFL QB.

He has done a wonderfully consistent job of being the same EJ throughout his career and what we have seen so far is what we get. Take it or leave it.

Will he improve a bit over time? Probably! Will it be meaningful improvement? No.

Who knows; he might morph into a game manager type who won't kill you with bone headed play. But I want so much more from my starting QB than that. Don't you!?

Neither you nor anyone else knows this. :doh:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Making EJ our #2 behind a solid NFL veteran while he actually learns pro football is one of the more logical ideas I've heard on TBD in a long time.

Because it's so logical, there is zero chance OBD does it.

I think doing that would make absolutely no sense at all. It's too late to sit EJ now.

Edited by Bangarang

10 games plus a preseason, and this is your assessment?

Drew Brees, 10 games... Make the assessment...

Of course. And that is a very legitimate stance. You may be absolutely spot on.

I have no idea if he is going to be good and I'm a very opinionated fan, as evidenced. It just drives me crazy to read so many posts where fans will say "you people say he is great!" when no one ever does.

Yes, a different impression can certainly be formed. Especially with the statements immediately following Wood's:

Now exactly what is Downing's frame of reference to last year?

Look, the exact same pieces have been written since May's OTAs about how much EJ worked in the offseason with personal coaches, has stayed up all night dissecting film, put in extra training sessions, worked overtime to learn the game better. Yet, we go the guy who couldn't score a TD against first stringers in 5 preseason games.

If that isn't enough to doubt the prospects, I don't know what is.

We all realize that he's the guy the team is invested in, but we also shouldn't be blind to the fact that he's not quite ready yet.

I agree. We can hear teammates and coaches talk up EJ all preseason long and into the regular season, but it means nothing. What else are they going to say? What matters is how he performs. I'll get hopeful as soon as I see consistient quality play, not because his center says "Gosh! He works so hard!"

EJ Manuel is not an NFL starting QB. I think fans need to be realistic for once and just admit that the Bills actually wiffed on this one. All I ever hear anymore is "oh it takes time" and "he's only played about 14 games for far". Yeah this isn't 1999, QB's that come into the league now don't need that much time. The last QB that actually needed time to develop is Alex Smith. The problem is the Bills always handle situations halfheartedly and then are stuck spending another 3 years trying to fix the problem they created. Unfortunately, It's the same Ferris Wheel just different passengers.

Of course. And that is a very legitimate stance. You may be absolutely spot on.

I have no idea if he is going to be good and I'm a very opinionated fan, as evidenced. It just drives me crazy to read so many posts where fans will say "you people say he is great!" when no one ever does.

That's a fair enough point. It's not that you or your camp says he will be great. It's that you say it is premature to say he will NOT be great.

I get it.

Well I guess we have made some progress here tonight then!

:D

EJ Manuel is not an NFL starting QB. I think fans need to be realistic for once and just admit that the Bills actually wiffed on this one. All I ever hear anymore is "oh it takes time" and "he's only played about 14 games for far". Yeah this isn't 1999, QB's that come into the league now don't need that much time. The last QB that actually needed time to develop is Alex Smith. The problem is the Bills always handle situations halfheartedly and then are stuck spending another 3 years trying to fix the problem they created. Unfortunately, It's the same Ferris Wheel just different passengers.

Please back up your assertion with a detailed analysis to support your conclusion. Thanks.

EJ Manuel is not an NFL starting QB. I think fans need to be realistic for once and just admit that the Bills actually wiffed on this one. All I ever hear anymore is "oh it takes time" and "he's only played about 14 games for far". Yeah this isn't 1999, QB's that come into the league now don't need that much time.

Well Peyton Manning did. Tom Brady did. Aaron Rogers did. Drew Brees did. Colin Kaepernick did. Nick Foles did. Ben Rothlisberger did. Eli Manning did.

RG3 regressed.

Well Peyton Manning did. Tom Brady did. Aaron Rogers did. Drew Brees did. Colin Kaepernick did. Nick Foles did. Ben Rothlisberger did. Eli Manning did.

RG3 regressed.

To further buttress your point, Brady was little more than a game manager when he 1st began playing for the Patriots. A guy like Matthew Stafford is still developing as an NFL QB.