How can you not at least root for Manual?

I can see this board isn't filled with 100% blue-blooded, good or bad, circle the wagon type Bills fan that I am. I can tell that we're all frustrated, but not all of us are real fans. How can you not root for any Bill to do well? Sad.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Being he is our first round QB, and our only hope for being competitive this year...I think it's safe to say that everyone here is "rooting" for EJ Manuel. Do we believe in him? That's another question and another story.

But, there is absolutely zero doubt that everyone here is "rooting" for the kid to succeed.

We have no other choice at the moment.

(My main gripe with him is that he does not have that "killer instinct" that the best QB's, and best players, have. He seems like too nice of a guy. Can anyone picture him getting in DJ Swearinger's face like Peyton did? I can't.)

EDIT: And I say "only hope" because without him being at least average, we have no chance IMO.

this

It's simple, really: "Winning only hurts the franchise." There's a small, select group of mouth-breathers that believe you either win the Superbowl, or lose out to draft high and get a franchise QB that can win the Superbowl. Anything else is abject failure. In that context, since Manuel isn't going to win the Superbowl this year, you root for Manuel to fail because then you draft high and get a franchise QB.

The flaw in that logic being...well, everything. But the most obvious flaw in that logic being that people expect the team to draft a franchise QB with a high pick resulting from the failure of the last franchise QB drafted with a high pick, from which any sane person would conclude that it's less about where you pick and more about being able to identify decent QBs to begin with...

Who on here isn't rooting for him?

Just because many including me have serious doubts about him doesn't mean we are not rooting for him

same here. I hope he does well every down. Seems like a great guy. Easy to root for. At the same time, I have my doubts. I hope he goes to the Pro Bowl this year after being named Super Bowl MVP

Project isn't the right term, I agree. But he wasn't seen, perhaps, as polished and NFL ready as some coming out of college--but he was seen to have a very big upside by many.

In a perfect world, the Bills would have had him sit behind a veteran QB for a season (or even half-season), But that vet never made it to the field. So in he went.

Now he's the guy. At this point, pulling him isn't the answer, most likely. He's had some time to mature, learn the playbook and we'll see what he's got. I just hope the OL gives him a shot to perform.

I think it's an acceptable term. Outside of a few guys in the last decade. Every first round QB has been a "project."

Project isn't the right term, I agree. But he wasn't seen, perhaps, as polished and NFL ready as some coming out of college--but he was seen to have a very big upside by many.

In a perfect world, the Bills would have had him sit behind a veteran QB for a season (or even half-season), But that vet never made it to the field. So in he went.

Now he's the guy. At this point, pulling him isn't the answer, most likely. He's had some time to mature, learn the playbook and we'll see what he's got. I just hope the OL gives him a shot to perform.

I agree completely. And my point is, for me, he is an easy guy to root for because I think he is a high character guy. For example, I have much less respect for a player like Gino Smith or Sanchez or QBs like that who are trying to figure things out. If they were on the Bills I wouldn't care as much. Am I the only one that factors things like that into how much I pull for a player? Regardless if EJ ever gets it right he is trying to succeed the right way with a good work ethic and is much more respectful to the media and fans than many of them are to him. I am impressed by everything off the field and I'm hoping he starts to impress on it.

The BBMB is rife with threads wanting Orton, a quality backup who doesn't know the playbook, to start week one.

I am not certain what can fully explain it, but there is an irrational and ugly factor regarding EJ Manuel. He was drafted as a project. I believe he is progressing. Some people are so invested in being right about EJ being a failure (after what, ten games?) that I honestly think it's pretty clear they are rooting for him to fail. They don't want to be pleasantly surprised. They want some trivial vanity associated with pronouncements on an internet messageboard to be vindicated over stellar play from a young man of outstanding character who happens to be qb for the team they claim to care about.

Not only THIS^^ but even if in two years they turned out to be right, and EJ doesn't have the IT factor or ability or accuracy to be a solid if not franchise QB, they didn't "know," they guessed right. And if they truly "knew" with any degree of consistency, they wouldn't be on TSW, they would be running an NFL franchise.

I'm guilty of saying things as if I knew the truth about a player, but I also know that I do not know for sure. It's all guesswork. No one knows the future. You can have a strong feeling and you can feel it your gut that this doesn't pass the eye or gut test, but it's not "knowing" it's guessing. Even in retrospect if it turns out to be correct.

I am more than a little surprised and disappointed at the intensity of the dump EJ movement among Bills fans. He showed me enough in the Panthers and Ravens games last year to make me believe that he has the raw material to be a winning QB. I think he can play at a Joe Flacco - Steve McNair level. That said I have been disappointed about the lack of quality back ups on our roster for many years. I applaud the signing of Orton and only wish that it had come sooner. Not because I think EJ is a bust but because since the Flutie/Johnson years this team has bottomed out after their starter went down. If EJ is injury prone we need a viable back up. If EJ is unschooled he needs a credible mentor. If EJ is a bust we need a credible alternative. If Ralph were alive we never would have signed Orton. He was always content to let the fan base twist in the wind if the starter of the day got hurt or didn't meet expectations. I see Orton as insurance to buy time for the front office regime should EJ not look like he's ready on schedule.

I don't think it was ever a question of anyone not wanting EJ to do well. I think the whole thing that has had people questioning the decision to draft EJ Manuel with our first round pick is that he was never "THAT GUY" in college so certain people didn't understand the move. If you really look at what EJ he's not that emotional fire in his eyes confident type of QB. He's a game manager and that what he's always been. I put just as much fault on EJ's slow progression or regression on the coaching staff.

Being he is our first round QB, and our only hope for being competitive this year...I think it's safe to say that everyone here is "rooting" for EJ Manuel. Do we believe in him? That's another question and another story.

But, there is absolutely zero doubt that everyone here is "rooting" for the kid to succeed.

We have no other choice at the moment.

(My main gripe with him is that he does not have that "killer instinct" that the best QB's, and best players, have. He seems like too nice of a guy. Can anyone picture him getting in DJ Swearinger's face like Peyton did? I can't.)

EDIT: And I say "only hope" because without him being at least average, we have no chance IMO.

Actually I would disagree...there are many on here who I think would rather be right about him being a bust than see him succeed.

Manuel is someone I see potential in, and I am rooting hard for the kid and I think he can pull it off.

By not drafting another signal caller the current regime sent a strong message IMO, the Buffalo Bills bilieve in EJ manuel and intend on staying the course with EJ Manuel.

Kyle Orton is brought in to back EJ Manuel up

The Bills TRIED to send a message that they believed in EJ Manuel...right up until the point where that was no longer remotely tenable. Then they wised up and paid Orton starter's money to...wait for it...be prepared to start by week 4 if the first 4 weeks of the regular season are anything like the last four of the preseason.

Root for Manuel? Hells yeah. Especially now that we have a legit alternative once EJ gets the hook.

Actually I would disagree...there are many on here who I think would rather be right about him being a bust than see him succeed.

I highly doubt that's true. I personally think EJ sucks, but would be lovin' life if he turned in a super-efficient season, with a 88 passer rating and we made the playoffs. I bet most other people down on him feel the same way. But how can anyone expect that after the turds he's laid in friggin' practice?