Am I the only one who still believes in EJ?

YoloinOhio

For all the EJ haters out there, watch and learn. Can't throw deep, inaccurate, slow eyes... This video refutes all of it. What you have is an over coached rookie who needs to just play ball. Notice his first two games were some of his best?

Tell ya one thing that video makes me so pumped up to see what woods can do in his second year

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ is a second half QB (which is better than the alternative in my book even though a whole game is always best) - we should be fine.

game planning, having all of his receivers, a running game and a fully operational OL usually help as well at this stage of a young QBs career. They should have all of those things if their plan works out.

Tell ya one thing that video makes me so pumped up to see what woods can do in his second year

i love me some EJ-to-Woods

I haven't totally turned on him yet but he hasn't looked good. I dont care if its pre season and there is game planning or not. He should still be able to accurately throw the ball and he has struggled doing that.

I hope he can do it or this will be another miserable and disappointing season. I genuinely am rooting for him but im not very confident

For all the EJ haters out there, watch and learn. Can't throw deep, inaccurate, slow eyes... This video refutes all of it. What you have is an over coached rookie who needs to just play ball. Notice his first two games were some of his best?

I've been thinking the same point. It's what it looks like. I'm hopeful he just settles down and go out and play. I'd rather see him with the freedom to roll out when he wants to do so, don't worry about injuries, and if he gets hurt, we have Orton. Orton's not Brady, but he is one of the best backups in the league.

What I hope they taught him is to know when to slide, how to slide, and to not always try and get that extra yard at the risk of injury. Lastly, they had him more under center this pre-season, and he seemed to play better in the gun.

I haven't given up on him, but if they keep coaching this way, and he keeps playing tentative, it's going to be a long first month of the season.

I have been an EJ defender and I still strongly believe it is WAY too early to give up on him. Still, he didn't play well the last two preseason games. I think it is AWFUL how the media has continually bashed him and whipped many fans into an anti-EJ frenzy.

Unfortunately that is the era we live in. Folks have internet access at the touch of a finger and have networks dedicated to 24 hour football coverage. The over exposure makes it tough. Unless the news is positive, the harsh press will resonate non stop.

I have been an EJ defender and I still strongly believe it is WAY too early to give up on him. Still, he didn't play well the last two preseason games.

we live in purgatory. the guy hasn't proven that he's the answer, but there's still not enough evidence that he's not. had he executed a couple of impressive drives in the preseason, a lot of the doubts would have faded away like so many tears in the rain. (at least temporarily.)

but he didn't. so we wait. because that's all we can do.

Good article

@BuffRumblings: Read this profile of EJ Manuel from @JaySkurski as the QB enters his second season w/ "weight of franchise" http://t.co/Mwtm778S0R

A lot of us already know, Manuel will not fail because the lack of drive and focus. More often than not, QBs whom end up busting don't do so because they lack the talent. They lack the dedication and desire to take their game to the next level.

My main issue with Manuel is something hackett pointed out. Manuel is too afraid of not being perfect. Manuel appears to want to go 10-10 with throws for under 10 yards than possibly 6-10 for throws down field that might not be higher percentage throws.

We saw a few times in the pre season where Manuel trusted his WRs. The throw to Williams against the Panthers. I was at that game and even a few Panthers fans turned to me and said thats what Manuel needs to do more of because he has the arm talent. There were a couple of throws where Manuel hit guys before they came out of their breaks. However, those were not consistent throws but more the rare element of Manuels game.

A lot of us already know, Manuel will not fail because the lack of drive and focus. More often than not, QBs whom end up busting don't do so because they lack the talent. They lack the dedication and desire to take their game to the next level.

My main issue with Manuel is something hackett pointed out. Manuel is too afraid of not being perfect. Manuel appears to want to go 10-10 with throws for under 10 yards than possibly 6-10 for throws down field that might not be higher percentage throws.

We saw a few times in the pre season where Manuel trusted his WRs. The throw to Williams against the Panthers. I was at that game and even a few Panthers fans turned to me and said thats what Manuel needs to do more of because he has the arm talent. There were a couple of throws where Manuel hit guys before they came out of their breaks. However, those were not consistent throws but more the rare element of Manuels game.

Hackett needs to look in the mirror because he definitely shares some blame in Manuel's "too afraid of not being perfect" mindset. Hackett talked out of both sides of his mouth. In that same interview you are referring to, Hackett said that he tells Manuel to "just take what the defense gives you" (meaning checking it down) because you NEVER want to have any turnovers. Which is the worst advice for the QB you drafted to be your franchise QB. You need to let them throw a few interceptions deep down the field so that they know what they can get away with and what they can't get away with. Both Mannings went through this, Luck went through it. It's a right of passage for a young, 1st round selected QB that EJ Manuel seems to not be afforded the latitude to do by his OC (which means that Marrone is probably on board as well).

I still have a lot of faith in Manuel becoming a great QB, I hope that these coaches let him throw it deep 6-8 times a game even if it costs them a few early games in the season. If Manuel ever gets in rhythm for the deep pass with the WRs we have on this team, WOW...these Bills will start breaking Kelly and Co's offensive records.

I think once you saw what Buffalo paid Orton that you couldn't discount the front office and coaches giving Manuel a very short leash. I think the second Manuel starts to falter and cause his team games, Orton will be thrust into the lineup and will be hard to unseat unless the guy absolutely flops.

I hope Orton plays football as well as he pads his bank account. First he manages to keep all of Jerry's signing bonus, then he gets this new contract from us. I wonder if he hopes to earn it holding a clip board.

EJ is a second half QB (which is better than the alternative in my book even though a whole game is always best) - we should be fine.

Where did this myth come from. Check out his situational stats on NFL.com http://www.nfl.com/player/ejmanuel/2539228/situationalstats-his first and second half stats are mirror images of each other in terms of completion %, rating, and td:int ratio. There's more attempts in the second half due to the Bills being behind. In fact, his best statistical quarter is the second (mostly inflated due to 2 min. drill/defenses defending against the long pass-again clear in the situational stats).

There is no evidence that EJ is a second half qb.

Look at Geno Smith. He had a rough time, but seems to be turning a corner. I'm not saying it's a sure thing, but it's very possible.

The odds probably favor a somewhat poor season and new quaterback drafted in 2015. It is true that for every Brett Favre or John Elway that starts off bad and becomes good, there are three Christian Ponders and Matt Linearts.

The odds don't favor EJ, but he still has a lot of potential. If he still looks like this at the end of this season, that will be a different matter.

Two tight end sets to create mismatches.

That's the only way we have a chance.

With this teams' tight ends? I think the mismatch would favor the defense, frankly.

I have to say, the whole thing is seeming rather like the Edwards-Fitz situation in 2010. Somebody in the Bills organization had a major conniption over the QB situation (and rightfully so) during the preseason. Only Lewis and Tuel were sent packing, but EJ isn't immune.

Sage, nice to see you posting. I heard you were missing.

We have to remember Whaley has been trying to sign Orton for some time (months). Orton hasn't been willing because of: a. considering retirement b. waiting for another team to make an offer c. preferred to skip training camp---likely a combination. When it turned out Thad wasn't the guy the coaches thought he was, I suspect the Bills upped the ante a bit. Also, with the season about to start and with Orton still unemployed and unretired, the deal was made. I doubt Orton was going to play for too much less that what the Bill are giving him.

I wonder what other QBs Whaley had been targeting offseason.

Edited by The Dean