Sal Capaccio

Big Blitz

yes I so agree about sal, even though he has some issues, he is so far above schoop, I really have no clue why he has kept his job this long, he is so negative about the bills and never has any credible facts, as our local sports radio station host you would think he would have knowledge about the players, coaches ,etc id actually love to challenge schoop about the bills about actual facts on players and coaches.He probably coulnt name 5 players or any of the colleges they went too.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hullhawk, your comments are interesting. because you disagree with him about sports you HATE him. I don't quite get that, but you fit in really well here!

No I don't hate him because I disagree with him, I hate him because he is a whiny DB, that clearly dosnt like his job, and thinks he is superior to everyone else who calls in and who works in any capacity in the NFL. You can get people to call the show without be an arrogant POS DB. He just hasn't figured out how to do it, becaue it might take, you know effort, professionalism, Journalism, and a few other ISM's that he is obvioulsy lacking.

Did I read that JB is an EJ "hater?" A "hater" is someone who tries to downplay somebody's accomplishments and minimize their accomplishments by explaining them away. Reporting what is obvious to anyone who is watching (that EJ is struggling badly) is not being a "hater." What amazing things is EJ doing that are being explained away or overlooked?

Part of the reason so many people are so down on WGR is that the station's job is to report on the Bills. The Bills have been one of the worst teams in the NFL for the past 15 years. Like I mentioned before, if you just graduated high school you have no recollection of the Bills EVER being a playoff team. When that is the situation, there isn't much sunshine to pass around.

That's what John Murphy is for. Everything is sunshine, rainbows and good vibes with him. Personally, I find that far more insulting than someone ripping bad decisions, bad players, and bad coaches. Don't believe your lyin eyes... this team is great! EJ is great! Marrone is great!

As far as Sal, he's okay but as a couple others mentioned he is just as arrogant as Schopp. It's just that he is more positive toward the team, so people like him more.

It's simple really: fans want to hear good stuff about the teams they love. The reality of Bills football has been pretty bleak for a long time now.

It's one thing to give critical analysis of the Bills. In fact that is what I'm craving. But with WGR, and especially Schopp, it all "Bills suck...14 years no playoffs...same old Bills,,,,yadda yadda." I get enough of that here. That is the analysis from someone who doesn't know anything about football. When Mark Kelso breaks down what went wrong in the Tampa game, isn't that what we all really want? I want to know what is going on, not fatalistic doom and gloom for its own sake.

Anyone else growing to really like him?

If I'm WGR management, I fire Schoop and the Bulldog and replace him with Sal and a former player---like a Darryl Talley---for the 3 pm show. I know what you're saying--but they'd need a hockey guy for hockey season. I haven't heard one on at 3 in a long time so what does it matter. I get my fill from the morning crew.

Anyway, as someone mentioned today here, Schoop is an absolute joke. You can trash certain things our local teams do (actually for him its never the Sabres--at least nowhere near as hard as he does the Bills). But he trashes them just to trash them. There is no insight, there is just EJ EJ EJ EJ. Remember when he used to go by the whole "sports talk for smart people" crap. Back when he endorsed Rob Johnson over Doug Flutie. The WNSA days.

Today the moron started his show wanting to talk about the USC player who lied about saving his nephew or something....and Schoop turned into a TEN MINUTE monologue about how when he was in 3rd grade he told this crazy lie to his teacher. End take. That was it. And I'm so sick of his "I need something interesting to talk about" crap. Find something idiot! There's a ton to discuss that matters to us fans. Don't troll us for callers. I'm so freaking done listening to this clown.

Back to Sal...really appreciating his work on the radio. He brings good balance and insight. Puts things in context and perspective--criticizes what needs to be criticized. But he manages to do it in a way that doesn't make you walk away hating life. Like Schoop seems intent on doing.

I think Sal is great with the callers to. My one criticism of him would be to talk slower---but I'm assuming he's Italian, he's from NY, maybe Catholic, so the fast talking would make sense. I envision him using his hands a ton.

So kudos to you Sal..I think you're doing fantastic and I'd put you on that 3 o clock show in a second.

Hope the WGR higher ups realize it.

Agreed.

Schoop has no clue or substance regarding sports. He is there to simply rock the boat and boost ratings.

I used to really enjoy Bull Dog - he is great when he is not influenced or working with Schoop - because we all know; including Bull Dogg - you cannot have an intelligent conversation or anything indepth regarding sports because Schoop has no comprehension or clue.

That's why he goes off callers - so easily - because he cannot be challenged.

I would be ok with Sal and Bull Dog together.

But you're right - a change is needed.

I would be willing to bet - once Pegula takes over the Bills - we will see something like the Empire Sports Network come back... Pegula will not want to deal with the losers at Entercom.

It amazes how poorly run Enterom is run in Buffalo; while in Boston - they are doing a great job.

Here's the problem with Schopp for me, and it's been repeated time and again in other posts: he's friggin' arrogant and condescending. I am not going to criticize him for his negative critique of the Bills after 14 losing season in a row as much as I will criticize his shameful dissing of callers, his condescending tone, his total refusal to greet callers, and his "manufactured confrontations" with callers who are reasonably offering a differing point of view.

The approach between Schopp, Bulldog, and Sal is all about this arrogance and condescension factor. I enjoy listening to Bulldog's "every man" approach, particularly when he is without Schopp, and Sal's high-energy perspective...but mostly because they are decent with callers and do not talk like their thoughts and opinions are superior to the rest of the world (like Schopp).

Schopp also tries to be funny and it's just unbearable because, for the most part, he can't pull it off. When you turn off listeners by your self-proclaimed intellectual superiority, you can't pull off attempts at humor.

I am forced to listen to Schopp. I enjoy listening to the others. Big difference.

Edited by Stormin Norman

The guy never ever goes against what the Bills are doing. He is obviously angling for John Murphy's job in the future.

Remember when people like myself were saying the Bills needed to grab a viable back up QB in free agency or at least pick up some talent at QB in the mid rounds of the draft? He towed Te company line that the Bills were fine at QB and back up QB. He is a hack just like Marrone and Whaley.

Also I know Sal used to post on this board and others, someone should make sure he didn't start this thread.

I heard that take on Tannehill this am too. I wouldn't call it crazy... I've watched a lot of Tannehill (I unfortunately owned Mike Wallace last year in fantasy and made it a point to figure out what the hell was going on :cry: ) and I just saw his last preseason game. I'm not sure there's anything special there that says franchise QB. He makes 2 good throws and one really bad one. He had so many yards last year because they could not run the ball AT ALL. Plus, he has a superior offensive coach so maybe Sal thinks "I'll take my chances with EJ b/c I'm pretty sure Tannehill ain't much of a big step up if at all." EJ in a full rookie season would have similar numbers to Tannehill who just completed his second season.

That's a 66% completion percentage😃

The guy never ever goes against what the Bills are doing. He is obviously angling for John Murphy's job in the future.

Remember when people like myself were saying the Bills needed to grab a viable back up QB in free agency or at least pick up some talent at QB in the mid rounds of the draft? He towed Te company line that the Bills were fine at QB and back up QB. He is a hack just like Marrone and Whaley.

Also I know Sal used to post on this board and others, someone should make sure he didn't start this thread.

this is my issue with him

Ok, I'll weigh in. I swore off GR yeas ago but I decided to give them a fresh listen. Maybe things have changed.

The AM show- I dont know if Howard is running out the clock until retirement but he seems bored. Never the most entertaining to begin with, he seems resigned to his fate. The "Golly gee" approach only gets you so far. Would have been better served as a beat reporter. I'm sure he'd admit to that. Jeremy W- Mr. "wait until I Google a stat to support my argument." I'll never forget years ago, when a caller complained about Whitner, and JW replied that he had as many INT's as Ed Reed (week 4 I believe) therefore was just as good. I laughed, the caller laughed and hung up on his own. He just talks and talks trying to find a nugget of gold.Pointless. An idiot for for sure, but even worse totally uninformative, lacking any original thought.

The PM show- What to say about Schoop. He takes such a opposite, myopic view, and if you dont fit into that landscape, you dont get it. I actually think he is a good broadcaster but he is too walled-in by his attitude/management. Bulldog is a joke, we all know that. How he still has a career is totally amazing. Can't articulate. waste of airtime.

Sal- Sorry guys....he sucks. Another boring mouthpiece of sewage. Wake me up when he says something not derived from another opinion.

Joe B- He works hard. Great. Now go break a story w/ all that amazing access you have. I love how he says "Schefter tweets" or "Sal M of ESPN tweets" Hey dickhead, how about you be the first?

Kevin S-Lol

Overall, the station sounds horrible. Each show is the same everyday. Ever hear about letting a show breathe and having it's own life? Too many of the same voices, talking the same thing. I was right to tune out. I'm sorry I tuned back in. Now, forever deleted from my dial except for Bills play by play.

Well, apparently even Sal can be sucked into the polar vortex that is Mike Schopp's negativity. The worst part about Schopp's brand of negativity, Is that it is mostly speculative. The two of them just deduced that Marrone telling EJ that he was the man at QB at the end of last season plus the Jets signing of Vick to back up Smith, was potentially a bad thing if it all happened that way to protect the ego of EJ.

Huh?

They literately invented a criticism of EJ.

I know, don't listen to them. It is not as simple as that. I want some content, not a month of bashing a dude who may or may not stink.

I think the thing thats missing from this discussion is the all mighty dollar. THE ONLY thing the suits care about is ratings, because ratings=Advertising dollars. Schopp and the Bulldog consistently win that spot. WHY? becasue its commute time and as much as we ALL HATE the hosts.(more on that later), we all Have no choice if we want to listen to pure LOCAL sports talk. With everything going on, (preseason, cuts, new stadium, New ownership, Harbor center, etc ) I at least tune in for a half anhour and listen on the way home at least through 1 update. I think Most ofus are like that. So no matter how much we hate it, it wins, and thats all advertisers care about ishow many people are going to hear my ad.

I hate Shcopp for all of the reasons that everyone mentions. I don't mind critisicm when I feel the person knows what the hell they are talking about, and Schopp clearly dosn't. He's talking about never punting and running fake plays, and all this high school crap. THAT will not work at the NFL level. Even if you got the 1st down 1/2 the time, that means your giving your oponent points half the time... and NOT by any stretch guaranteeing that you will get points half the time too, its stupid. it just won't work in the long term. And fake punts don't work if the other team KNOWS your going to do it. He thinks Madden=Real life. He thinks he is just SOOO much smarter than football people. He acts like NOONE has ever tried this. THEY have, it failed, and they were fired. Its real easy to tell someone to go for it, and never punt when its not YOUR JOB on the line or your familiies future. Its just maddeing to listen to him espouse this stuff like a bored roman dictator who simply wants to be entertained. Its not just the fact that he isn't a fan of the Bills, he dosn't much care for Football or the league.

He thinks punting from the 45 is a bad idea. I don't if you have a good punter, and a good defense you cna pin your opponent deep, and the chances of stopping him go way up. The chances of a defensive TD go way up. Its the high percentage play. Its not exciting... Now punting from the opponent 45 in the 4th quarter when your trailing by 2 is a bad idea....

MY best hope would be SAL and joe in the afternoons, with Hamilton sitting in during hockey season.

I seem to remember a game with the NYG when Wade was coach. We were winning & had the ball with perhaps 1-2 minutes to go. We were 4th & inches around midfield. Make it & the game is over. Miss it & the GMen have a short field to kick the winning FG. BTW - we couldn't stop them all day. If we punt, the GMen would have to go probably 50 yds in a minute & a half to win.

Wade went for it, failed & the GMen won.

The next day, Wade was crucified in the press. Probably from the same people that are always talking about going against common football orthodoxy. Guys like Schopp probably never played sports. He was probably a cheerleader, high school paper reporter, or responsible for getting the uniforms cleaned for the next game. Why do people get annoyed when he spouts his lack of knowledge? I listen, but usually just roll my eyes.

Go Bills

Sal just seems like a decent guy, he's a real fan of the Bills and Sabres, he's friendly, he's polite, he likes to reminisce (Al Bundy-like) about his high-school football credentials and above all else: he always says nice things about Buffalo. This is essentially the recipe for a being a well-liked anything in Buffalo. Doctor, lawyer, teacher, radio host .... maybe he ought run for Mayor.

For anyone hoping any of the WGR hosts/reports get fired, forget about. Those guys have jobs for life even if they mail it in(like some currently do). All they basically have to do, is show up, and talk into a mic.

In recent years, the only host who was let go, was Brad Riter, and it is was rumored that he got canned because he couldn't figure out how to show up for his shift on time.