Pats trade G Logan Mankins

FluffHead

It was purely salary.

They asked Mankins to restructure, and he refused.

The alternative was cutting him, and bringing back nothing in excgange.

Is it a matter of being cap-strapped, or Kraft is cheap? If the latter, we'll see how far that takes them once Brady is gone.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ironic that all ESPN was talking about today was how Tampa had the worst guards in the league and were desperate for help.

Couldn't tell by last Saturday's action.

I could. McCown was under constant duress and they had little to no push in the run game. Their OL really needs a guy like Mankins.

Mankins was still one of the better run blocking OG's in the league so the Pats run game should decline with him gone. Pass pro probably doesn't get hit much, if at all, as Mankins struggled in this department, especially the last couple years and in particular the last 1/2 of last season. The Pats seemingly prepared for such a departure having used 3 of their first 6 picks in this years draft on OL.

This Wright kid could be a major matchup nightmare with Brady tossing him the ball. He and Gronk could be a devastating duo if Gronk can stay healthy.

Thank god! Mankins has been destroying out DT's for years.

+1. I'm not sorry to see him go. I don't know this TE that NE got but I doubt that they got an equitable return for him. Good news. :thumbsup:

This simply cannot be true, as I just recently read on this very board that the offensive line is the reason for Tom Brady's success.

The Pats are going to miss Mankins, but it's better than losing him for nothing. The Bills should take note.

I could. McCown was under constant duress and they had little to no push in the run game. Their OL really needs a guy like Mankins.

And they still put up 17 pts in a half.

This simply cannot be true, as I just recently read on this very board that the offensive line is the reason for Tom Brady's success.

Who said that? A bad offensive line is the only way to stop Brady. But that is not the same as saying he is great because their line has been dominant.

Sent to Bucs for TE Tim wright and a draft pick

If they didn't have Brady they would be worse than the Bills. Who is Tim Wright? and a fourth?! You're gona trade 6x probowler and one of the top guards in the League for that :blink: , oh well whatever, better for us.

Tom Brady, say hello to Marcel Dareus, I think you're going to like him.

yep :thumbsup:

Looks like no Incognito for them.

watch him go to NE now <_<

Dang. Good move for them. Really like Timothy Wright at TE. That is the type of move we should've made to improve our abysmal TE situation. Wright is up and coming & could really break out in that offense.

can we trade ej for one.

If they didn't have Brady they would be worse than the Bills. Who is Tim Wright? and a fourth?! You're gona trade 6x probowler and one of the top guards in the League for that :blink: , oh well whatever, better for us.

Mankins srtruggled mightily at times for the Pats last year. Especially down the stretch It's possible the Pats figured his best days were behind him.

As for Wright. Last year, as a rookie and while transitioning from WR to TE in which he didnt see a single target in weeks 1 and weeks 2, he posted 54 receptions for 571 yards and 5 TD's. What isn;t widely known is that only 5 other rookie TE's, in the history of the NFL, have done what Wright did which is catch at least 50 balls, for 500 yards, and 5 TD's.

It remains to be seen how he works out in NE but he's obviously very talented and highly productive. And now he has arguably the GOAT QB tossing him balls.

If the Bills traded away their only O-line pro bowler, they'd be getting killed in the press. But old Billy Boy is a genius....."rather trade 'em a year early than a year late". He's a great coach, but his failures as a personnel guy are plenty. Most of their 2nd round picks play for someone else or are out of the league. Trading Richard Seymour and Mike Vrabel when he did cost this team serious runs at a championship. And for all the talk of their dominance...it's in our division only. They haven't won anything for 10 years.

This move made NO sense to me and I hope Dareus ragdolls Mankins replacement this year and lightly touches Brady a few times (because that's all you can do)

Ironic that all ESPN was talking about today was how Tampa had the worst guards in the league and were desperate for help. Couldn't tell by last Saturday's action.

Oh man, we watched 2 different games. Their OGs were getting destroyed in both the run and pass game, and that was without Kyle Williams (and with Mario in full-on pre-season mode--he looks like he just doesn't care in these games).

Who said that? A bad offensive line is the only way to stop Brady. But that is not the same as saying he is great because their line has been dominant.

I saw it in one of the OL threads. Pretty amazing.

I'd be surprised if Wright even matches his 2013 numbers given the complexity of the Pats' offense (better and more accomplished players have tried and failed) and the lateness of his addition. He's got a week and a half to learn the playbook. Good luck.

As for Mankins, he was the Pats' best OL. There will be a downgrade in the running game for sure, but will his replacement be an improve in pass protection? Remains to be seen. And Scarnecchia is no longer around.

I'd be surprised if Wright even matches his 2013 numbers given the complexity of the Pats' offense (better and more accomplished players have tried and failed) and the lateness of his addition. He's got a week and a half to learn the playbook. Good luck.

As for Mankins, he was the Pats' best OL. There will be a downgrade in the running game for sure, but will his replacement be an improve in pass protection? Remains to be seen. And Scarnecchia is no longer around.

Hernandez and Gronk don't seem overly bright, but they picked up that offense pretty well..