Pats trade G Logan Mankins

FluffHead

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little confused. How exactly is a 6'4" 220 pound college wide receiver, who never lines up as a TE, and never really blocks, but always lines up in the slot or in motion like a WR, not a WR?

The Patriots traded for a WR not a TE even if they are going to call him a TE and put him in the position that Hernandez played.

Or you could call him an H-back. He doesn't block and he isn't going to be a RB, like Hernandez did. And it appears that teams were playing him with a LB. That will change.

Except he's 6'7" 265. You know, tight end size. And he always played tight end. Even in his brief Miami career.

In some ways, of course, you're right as he always splits out. But at Graham's size and speed, he becomes a nightmare matchup. Wright is just a big WR that most teams have a guy that size playing WR.

It's like lining up Ramses Barden in the slot and calling him a TE.

Yes, that's correct. It is the same. And teams are doing it more and more. TE's are becoming less (traditional) TE's and more specialized WR's who spend more time split out wide than they do inline. Like the Jimmy Graham's and Julius Thomas' of the world. These guys can't bock for the life of them yet they still spend time inline in formation. Despite the opposition knowing full well that they are in formation not to block but to run pass route.

I used Graham and Thomas as examples because both of these guys ranked worse than did Wright as a blocker last year. Even still, both are nightmare matchup problems and are very valuable weapons for they tax the opposition in many ways. Ways in which Wright did last year in TB.

Wright's addition is unique however for he is coming into a situation where he'll be paired with arguably the best (true) TE in the game. Because there won';t be a reliance to have him block, Wright will be like the Queen in chess ...... someone that can be moved around endlessly and without limitation, in an attempt to create the best possible matchup strategy. You can bet a seasoned vet like Brady will take full advantage of such a situation when he walks up to the line.

Edited by Pneumonic

Yes, that's correct. It is the same. And teams are doing it more and more. TE's are becoming less (traditional) TE's and more specialized WR's who spend more time split out wide than they do inline. Like the Jimmy Graham's and Julius Thomas' of the world. These guys can't bock for the life of them yet they still spend time inline in formation. Despite the opposition knowing full well that they are in formation not to block but to run pass route.

I used Graham and Thomas as examples because both of these guys ranked worse than did Wright as a blocker last year. Even still, both are nightmare matchup problems and are very valuable weapons for they tax the opposition in many ways. Ways in which Wright did last year in TB.

Wright's addition is unique however for he is coming into a situation where he'll be paired with arguably the best (true) TE in the game. Because there won';t be a reliance to have him block, Wright will be like the Queen in chess ...... someone that can be moved around endlessly and without limitation, in an attempt to create the best possible matchup strategy. You can bet a seasoned vet like Brady will take full advantage of such a situation when he walks up to the line.

All of that is true, and it expect he may do well. Brady can make virtually everyone do well. The difference between Graham and Thomas versus Wright is, they're huge and matchup nightmares. You can't cover them with cbs and are trouble for safeties. Wright is a WR. You can cover him with a big CB or a safety.

Brady should be pissed... I wouldn't be surprised if he was mad enough to demand a trade to the Bills. Who do you think he'd rather throw to, our WRs or the *pats cheap-o/no-talent WRs? Who's line is better now (probably still debatable), who's defense is better?

The more pain and suffering that can be heaped upon Brady (in a football sense) the better.

Brady should be pissed... I wouldn't be surprised if he was mad enough to demand a trade to the Bills. Who do you think he'd rather throw to, our WRs or the *pats cheap-o/no-talent WRs? Who's line is better now (probably still debatable), who's defense is better?

The more pain and suffering that can be heaped upon Brady (in a football sense) the better.

I, for one, don't really mind the personal pain inflicted on Brady. After all, he has inflicted tremendous personal pain on me, and I never did a thing to him. He hasn't affected my professional career one bit.

All of that is true, and it expect he may do well. Brady can make virtually everyone do well. The difference between Graham and Thomas versus Wright is, they're huge and matchup nightmares. You can't cover them with cbs and are trouble for safeties. Wright is a WR. You can cover him with a big CB or a safety.

A big CB (Talib) took Graham out of the Pats/Saints game last year so yeah it is possible to do. Time will tell how well defenses matchup with Wright in this Patriot offense.