Jim Kelly Displeased With QBs including EJ

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone remember that the IMMORTAL Jim Kelly threw 14 TDs and 19 INTs in his first year in Buffalo - AFTER 2 years of professional football in the USFL?

Kelly was FANTASTIC and a major reason that the team made 4 SBs in a row - but immediately great was not the case.

Who is happy with the Bills QB play and doesn't want to see EJ step up? Even the most ardent EJ supporters are not happy with what they have seen. They are happy to see some progress and don't think he's totally at fault. And expect or hope to see him play better when the whole offense is in and the line is settled and the game planning and everything is in OVER THE COMING SEASON.

I don't think anything Kelly said is much different than 90% of the fans.

Some just already have seen the future. Miraculously.

Is there, like, a nomination process for Post Of The Year (POTY) or something? 'Cause this gets mine...

And good news everyone - the future starts in two weeks!

He would never go on the record that any Bills QB was definitely not the answer. I'd be curious what his private opinion is.

With all due to respect to Kelly, who cares? He is a fan now. I agree with what he said but he has no idea if Manuel is going to make it or not. Wasn't Kelly pushing for Tebow?

With all due to respect to Kelly, who cares? He is a fan now. I agree with what he said but he has no idea if Manuel is going to make it or not. Wasn't Kelly pushing for Tebow?

Plus one.

If the biopsy comes back clean the Bills should hire Jim as a QB consultant to teach EJ the K-GUN. I Hackett wants to run it, why not go to the man who ran it. To me this would make sense. Jim could help EJ in other areas also.

I'm guessing with his health, coaching is the last thing Kelly would want to do. The life of a NFL coach sucks.

And just because Kelly was a great player doesn't mean he will be a good coach. Rarely do good players become good coaches.

I'm guessing with his health, coaching is the last thing Kelly would want to do. The life of a NFL coach sucks.

And just because Kelly was a great player doesn't mean he will be a good coach. Rarely do good players become good coaches.

I think Jason Kidd and Magic Johnson might disagree.

It could be a 2-3 day a week gig. I think he could help with the K-GUN and reading defenses not all the other QB stuff.

"To be honest, I'm not happy with any of them. I would love to see EJ come on," Kelly said. "He's a great guy. He's a great leader. I've heard him to speak to the team; I've heard him speak to the receivers before they take the field. His leadership is there. Everything is there.

rest of the Bills' quarterbacks have not yet impressed Hall of Famer Jim Kelly.

"But I have not yet seen what we all want to see. And I'm sure he feels the same way. It just hasn't happened, and hopefully that's just because of the preseason."

Kelly said the Bills' success this season will hinge on Manuel's performance.

"I'm pulling for him, and I'll continue to pull for him," Kelly said. "But that is a position without a doubt that is going to determine how the Buffalo Bills do this year. We have a good defense, great receivers, good running backs. It's up to EJ. He'll take us as far as he can, and I just hope he starts playing better."

He really didn't say anything critical of EJ based on the SiriusXm interview as this article was quoting. Jim Kelly was as political correct as Chris Brown when evaluating EJ. But if you actually heard the interview on Sirius than you can read in between the lines is that he doesn't say what he REALLY thinks.

All I need to see was " I just hope he starts playing better"

He is thinking what most of us is thinking... EJ has to play better and soon.

And Jim knows what it takes and he has not seen it yet from EJ.

I will take his opinion and day of the week .

It could be a 2-3 day a week gig. I think he could help with the K-GUN and reading defenses not all the other QB stuff.

I don't think it's a terrible idea but coaching at the NFL has to be full time or it defeats the purpose. That might be a case of too many cooks in the kitchen.

It's just hard to give advice when you have been great. I couldn't see Michael Jordan coaching. It's why a guy like Frank Reich will be a great coach.

Phil Jackson.

Was one of the Harbaugh's good? Is Ron Rivera good?

Good players often become great coaches, because they were overachievers and really knew the game. Great players often become crappy coaches, because they cannot get the players to do what they did or understand the game like they did. There are exceptions of course, like Bill Russell. But great players, Bart Starr, Magic, Kareem (who never made it to head coach), etc, often make lousy coaches. Bird did pretty well (although not in the playoffs) but he used to say it was extremely frustrating.

Edited by Kelly the Dog