Trade idea: Chris Hogan for Christian Ponder

Hear me out. ;) Full disclosure, I hate trade idea threads and don't know why I started one.

I don't even think Christian Ponder is any good, although a decent veteran backup and a lot better than what we have.

Hogan is causing more problems than he is solving. The Bills to me are extremely dangerous with the four headed monster of Sammy, Mike, Robert and Marquise. Keeping Woods off the field in lieu of Hogan is a big mistake and something I doubt they will be doing much once the season starts. You're going to want only 5 active and Easley should be one of those five. Keep TJ on the team in case Goodwin gets hurt.

Ponder is a veteran who you can coach to just be a game manager. He's played enough. He stinks if you want to be your savior or to throw for 300 yards a game but we don't need him for that. He knows EJ already and can probably help him.

The Vikings are having problems with Jerome Simpson and could use a decent WR with some clear upside. There is enough tape on Hogan now to see he can run routes and catch the ball and just the fact he is taking so much time from Robert Woods should let them know the Bills coaches are serious about him.

I'm sorry, but Jeff Tuel stinks and Thad seems to have regressed. Whaley is not afraid to pull the trigger. Ponder is not great or even very good as a starter so he is no threat to EJ, but a far better temporary answer than we have now if EJ goes down for a half or a game or even 2-3.

There are not a lot of good options around the league. IMO we need a veteran game manager backup without a rag arm.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this idea. I think Ponder would run this offense better than either of our backups, he's tough and he's a leader. And I agree with you about the problems Hogan brings.

I'd also try to trade TJ Graham for Brandon Graham, as I've mentioned elsewhere...

Okay? I'm with ya. But Hogan and who/what for Ponder? No way Minnesota would swap player for player, IMO.

For their third-string QB, when they need a slot WR? They might.

Kelly, one wildcard is what the relationship looks like between EJ and Ponder. Did Ponder help recruit him to FSU? Did he mentor him at all? Do they hate each other? I have no idea, but there is a history there that would need to be looked into.

yep - any FSU fans out there who know the scoop?

Kelly, one wildcard is what the relationship looks like between EJ and Ponder. Did Ponder help recruit him to FSU? Did he mentor him at all? Do they hate each other? I have no idea, but there is a history there that would need to be looked into.

Don't know. Neither seem to be dicks but I'm not sure about ponder. Clearly they know each other. I would imagine it would be a plus unless there is some resentment we don't know about. Ponder must know where his career is right now, and he would have a much better chance to play with the Bills, and have all these weapons.

I mean also, there's a chemistry thing - Hogan isn't good, but EJ has been using him as a security blanket throughout the offseason. So you take away EJ's security blanket and exchange it for a guy who he might view as a threat to his job. I'm not sure the coaching staff and Whaley are prepared to do that - if anything, they seem over-protective of EJ's psyche.

Ponder started over EJ at FSU. Did he not?

yes, he was there first. Then he got hurt and EJ took over.i think there was some flip flipping due to injury. EJ also started over Winston, who was redshirted for EJ's sr yr. Edited by YoloinOhio

I mean also, there's a chemistry thing - Hogan isn't good, but EJ has been using him as a security blanket throughout the offseason. So you take away EJ's security blanket and exchange it for a guy who he might view as a threat to his job. I'm not sure the coaching staff and Whaley are prepared to do that - if anything, they seem over-protective of EJ's psyche.

Woods is just as much a security blanket if not more. I heard EJ talking the other day and he rattled off the receivers and he mentioned Woods but not Hogan, or at least Woods before Hogan. I don't think that Ponder would pose any threat at all to EJs starting job. He's clearly a backup.

Woods is just as much a security blanket if not more. I heard EJ talking the other day and he rattled off the receivers and he mentioned Woods but not Hogan, or at least Woods before Hogan. I don't think that Ponder would pose any threat at all to EJs starting job. He's clearly a backup.

For some here, ANY QB is a threat to EJ and they will demand he start with EJ's first incompletion.

With that said, not the worst idea.

A couple thoughts:

1. IMO Hogan has more upside, where Ponder has pretty much shown what he is. Hogan is really in his 3rd season of serious football (including college) and might just be turning the edge, I could see Hogan turning into a top tier possession receive this year (or he could flame out against real game day competition which is just as or more likely.) Ponder would be a decent backup, which we need. The trade probably could from a value and need argument, especially if Ponder is #3 for Minnesota.

2. It's just my opinion, but I think the Bills are wary of brining in any QB who might be considered a threat or create a QB controversy. I think it's a mistake given EJ's injuries last year, but it seems to me that they would have brought someone else in over the offseason otherwise.

One reason against bringing in a veteran QB at this stage (any veteran) is they have missed virtually all of camp. I recall this team trying to bring in experienced QBs at the last minute and then never getting them up to speed enough to play. They were inactive week after week, if not cut after a few weeks.

I would like this trade. I just dont see it happening. Do other teams really think 7-11 has any value. He is very raw with only playing football for 2-3 years. Not that Ponder is highly coveted but he has shown he is capable of playing QB in this league, even if it was average play at best. Hogan has tons of potential but at this point thats all it is,,,potential.

I would like this trade. I just dont see it happening. Do other teams really think 7-11 has any value. He is very raw with only playing football for 2-3 years. Not that Ponder is highly coveted but he has shown he is capable of playing QB in this league, even if it was average play at best. Hogan has tons of potential but at this point thats all it is,,,potential.

Those two things are equivalent to me.