Ice Bucket - Get off my Lawn

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YAQclry.jpg

Now that's funny.

I never quite get the level of backlash on stuff like this; if you aren't into it, ignore it. Facebook can't find you if you don't look at it. It's just a silly fad designed for attention and amusement; not really a big deal. It'll all be over soon.

I got nominated last night. Probably won't do the challenge, but I still will donate. I do like Gugny's idea, I may steal that.

Also, I saw a post on Facebook that someone was glad the Ice Bucket Challenge was going so well, that they were hoping the Boiling Oil Challenge would be the next fad to take off.

I got nominated last night. After giving it some thought and discussing it with my wife, this is what I did.

I held up a card that pledged $25 to ALS research and noted the website. I did it in memory of my close friend's brother who passed from ALS in 2013.

I held up card #2, pledging $25 to The American Cancer Society in memory of my MIL, FIL and uncle; and in honor of a couple of my aunts and friends who are still fighting the fight.

I held up card #3, pledging $25 to Huntington's Disease research in honor of my cousin (whose mom was one of the cancer honorees) who is dying a slow and horrible death as we speak.

Finally, I held up card #4, pledging $25 to thewaterproject.org, which helps provide 3rd world countries with healthy/clean drinking water.

I then raised my "ice bucket," which was a Beatles pint glass filled with water, and said I wasn't going to take clean water for granted.

I challenged everyone who was able to donate $100 - divided as they chose - to charities that meant something to them. No names. No shaming. No guilt.

Finished it off with a "cheers," and drank my clean ice water.

Constructive backlash. I like it.

I never quite get the level of backlash on stuff like this; if you aren't into it, ignore it. Facebook can't find you if you don't look at it. It's just a silly fad designed for attention and amusement; not really a big deal. It'll all be over soon.

For me, mostly the media bombardment espousing it as the greatest invention since the wheel. Makes it tough to ignore. Part of it, too, is the small set of people who always jump on the issue-du-jour as though it's the Single Most Important Issue In All of History, browbeat you about it for three weeks, then forget all about it when the next issue-du-jour comes along. I don't need to be told what charities I should donate to...I certainly don't need to be told that I'm an uncaring bastard because I don't donate to the popular ones.

they were hoping the Boiling Oil Challenge would be the next fad to take off.

Oh, I've got a LONG list of nominees for that one. Starting with Tom Petty. Then Dan Marino, then Bon Jon Blow-me.

The ALS ice bucket is a great cause, not poo pooing. it, but like 30K people have ALS in the USA. There are over 1 million homeless children in high school. Over 16 million households struggle to put food on the table, The education system sucks. Sorry ALS. I hope I do not get it, but there are way more prevalent things than ALS.

get out of my head...it's crazy enough in there already, but you put how i feel a hell of a lot better than I did

For me, mostly the media bombardment espousing it as the greatest invention since the wheel. Makes it tough to ignore. Part of it, too, is the small set of people who always jump on the issue-du-jour as though it's the Single Most Important Issue In All of History, browbeat you about it for three weeks, then forget all about it when the next issue-du-jour comes along. I don't need to be told what charities I should donate to...I certainly don't need to be told that I'm an uncaring bastard because I don't donate to the popular ones.

Ok, but this is no more or less stupid than whatever else the media would be bombarding us with today and the Hot Pockets crowd obsessing over. At least there is some residual benefit and residual humor here, which makes it more worthy of attention than the Kardashians or Day 173 of the missing Malaysian plane or the media's intentional mischaracterization of the latest thug who got himself shot.

Plus, you already know you're an uncaring bastard!

#KONY2012

This may change your mind:

http://time.com/3149...et-challenge-2/

An article decrying "slacktivism" that in itself is slacktivist is supposed to change my mind?

An actual person I knew died of ALS recently. I don't need an article about a youtube video about an ALS patient to tell me how I should feel about it. Nor do I need to be told I don't care unless I dump ice water over my head. Some people have dealt with this disease before this social fad, and will continue to after this social fad is forgotten...that's what makes it a social fad.

An article decrying "slacktivism" that in itself is slacktivist is supposed to change my mind?

An actual person I knew died of ALS recently. I don't need an article about a youtube video about an ALS patient to tell me how I should feel about it. Nor do I need to be told I don't care unless I dump ice water over my head. Some people have dealt with this disease before this social fad, and will continue to after this social fad is forgotten...that's what makes it a social fad.

Yes.

i just responded to my ice bucket challenge with a screen shot of the donation thank you email from the ALS Association, doesn't show an amount, just date of transaction....

I took a screen shot of my donation transactions from my bank account. I just want to have it in case anyone tries to call me out.

Yeah, I really didn't feel like showing how much I donated, whether it was more or less, that's none of their business, I was debating including the screen shot of the Susan J. Komen donation i did right afterwards, similar to what you did, if anyone dares call me out on it they will get a rousing "f*** off!!!"

I took a screen shot of my donation transactions from my bank account. I just want to have it in case anyone tries to call me out.