8/18 O line shuffle

FluffHead

Yeah he was slowed by his surgery. But I also think that despite his numbers, he was significantly worse last year than 2-3 years ago. And no team wanted him at all, even for marginal money in FA, which should tell you what kind of year he had.

I'm not sure you that's true and the tepid interest in FA means little to me. Again the injury played a factor, but he still had a better (and in fact the best of his career) season in receptions and yards in 2013 than in 2012, even if you extrapolate his essentially 14-game 2012 season out over 16 games. Where the big discrepancy lies is TD's (6 in 2012 versus 2 in 2013), but that's not entirely his fault. And he was 13th in receptions and 12th in receiving yards last year in the NFL among TE's.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know exactly where Hairston is with the return from illness but I just wonder what an OL of Henderson/Hairston at the tackles, Glenn and Urbik at G and Wood at C could do.

PLEASE ..... for the 1,000th time, what is the fixation with the Glenn @ guard idea? Glenn is our LT (on his way to elite level....), so why do you and plenty of others think it would make sense to just insert Glenn at G ? ...... :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

You know, it's amazing that professional scouts and GMs of NFL teams cannot figure out who might be able to play in the league before they draft them. Imagine if an engineer was this dumb and didn't know how to build the foundation of a bridge.

The guy the Bills pick in 2nd round is a dud and the one they pick in the 7th is starting! Just amazing.

Amazes me too. Especially qb's. You can be the best college qb in the world, and not even make an NFL practice squad a year later.

IF Marrone is the OL guru , this should be a good season with all the raw talent he has to work with.

The only problem so far with Marrone being an Oline coach is it appears he over estimates his ability to coach guys up. Last year what he went into the season with at LG was horrible. At some point Marrone and Whaley have to agree that the talent is not there no matter how much coaching you do.

The only problem so far with Marrone being an Oline coach is it appears he over estimates his ability to coach guys up. Last year what he went into the season with at LG was horrible. At some point Marrone and Whaley have to agree that the talent is not there no matter how much coaching you do.

This is a great post.

Maybe they will upgrade the OL with their 2nd round selection next yr. :wallbash:

Glad to hear Urbik took some reps at C, even if they were with the second team. I asked in the roster projection thread has he ever done it under Marrone because before yesterday I'm not sure he had. He did it some under Chan but I don't think he has under Marrone to this point. I hope looking at him there suggests they are coming round to the idea of releasing Legursky.

I dont know exactly where Hairston is with the return from illness but I just wonder what an OL of Henderson/Hairston at the tackles, Glenn and Urbik at G and Wood at C could do.

JMO, but I don't see Hairston as one of the top 5 linemen on our team. Is he ahead of Kujo and the other rooks? I would think so. I just don't see him starting on our line this year, unless Pears is cut for $ reasons.

JMO, but I don't see Hairston as one of the top 5 linemen on our team. Is he ahead of Kujo and the other rooks? I would think so. I just don't see him starting on our line this year, unless Pears is cut for $ reasons.

Hairston, if he plays guard at any decent level, is and extremely valuable commodity to have on game day if he can play four different positions.

He probably won't start though.

PLEASE ..... for the 1,000th time, what is the fixation with the Glenn @ guard idea? Glenn is our LT (on his way to elite level....), so why do you and plenty of others think it would make sense to just insert Glenn at G ? ...... :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

I don't understand this either. Glenn put up Joe Thomas(best in the league) pass blocking #s on PFF last year. I say again: Best LT in the NFL #s last year.

For the 1 millionth time:

The ONLY reason Cordy Glenn was considered as a guard is because Buddy Nix used his good ole boy connections, and put that lie out there.

The Bills fooled the media completely....which is why they gave us so much schit for the Gilmore pick.

Just like, they gave us so much schit for the EJ pick. EJ was the ONLY Qb we didn't tell them anything positive about leading up to the draft. Then, we turned around and drafted him.

For the 1 billionth time:

Guys like Todd McShay and Mel Kiper get their information from teams. They do not do their own scouting to anywhere near they extent they would have to in order to put real grades on players.

Teams employ ~10-20 scouts. Think about it: do you really think Mel Kiper is capable of doing to same work as 20 guys? If there were such people, you wouldn't need to hire all those extra dudes.

Therefore: it isn't very hard to manipulate the media, especially ESPN, because they don't do the actual souting work themselves. 80% of what they put out comes from whatever the teams tell them.

When the teams lie, such as Buffalo has done for the last 3 drafts in a row, it should be obvious that the media will retaliate: on air, just like "Buffalo needed a tackle and the took a CB. Bad move." and "EJ has slow eyes". :rolleyes:

I don't understand this either. Glenn put up Joe Thomas(best in the league) pass blocking #s on PFF last year. I say again: Best LT in the NFL #s last year.

For the 1 millionth time:

The ONLY reason Cordy Glenn was considered as a guard is because Buddy Nix used his good ole boy connections, and put that lie out there.

The Bills fooled the media completely....which is why they gave us so much schit for the Gilmore pick.

Just like, they gave us so much schit for the EJ pick. EJ was the ONLY Qb we didn't tell them anything positive about leading up to the draft. Then, we turned around and drafted him.

For the 1 billionth time:

Guys like Todd McShay and Mel Kiper get their information from teams. They do not do their own scouting to anywhere near they extent they would have to in order to put real grades on players.

Teams employ ~10-20 scouts. Think about it: do you really think Mel Kiper is capable of doing to same work as 20 guys? If there were such people, you wouldn't need to hire all those extra dudes.

That is just flat wrong. There were a lot of people that thought he might not be able to play LT in the pros. It wasn't just because Buddy Nix whispered that he was a guard. The pundits and scouts and draftniks also know not to believe a word a GM says, too.

In retrospect, they were stupid, because he played half of one college season at the top level at LT and showed the footwork and agility that (again in retrospect) should have convinced more that he had the athletic ability.

But the idea that he was a guard in the pros was always there. It wasn't because Buddy Nix told people that he was only a guard. Do you know how ludicrous that sounds?

Sorry if this has been posted already, but does anyone know how Henderson looked on the right side last night at camp?

I didn't hear anything about him, but considering he played well at LT in pre-season and was a RT in college, I'm sure he'll be fine at RT for the Bills. Should be a pass blocking stud who will need to work on run-blocking.

That is just flat wrong. There were a lot of people that thought he might not be able to play LT in the pros. It wasn't just because Buddy Nix whispered that he was a guard. The pundits and scouts and draftniks also know not to believe a word a GM says, too.

In retrospect, they were stupid, because he played half of one college season at the top level at LT and showed the footwork and agility that (again in retrospect) should have convinced more that he had the athletic ability.

But the idea that he was a guard in the pros was always there. It wasn't because Buddy Nix told people that he was only a guard. Do you know how ludicrous that sounds?

Buddy came out and literally said it.

Was he lying to himself? :lol:

Do you really think that Walterfootball dot com is any better than Todd McShay....in terms of personally scouting players?

Look: if you want to be entertained by all this, that's fine. But, please, let's stop pretending that the draft/mocks/grades by people isn't anything more than a hobby....for everybody that isn't employed by a team to do the job.

EDIT: And, yes, "there were a lot of people" :lol: who also got their information from the teams, just like the guys I named. Show me names of credible "people" who actually went and saw Cordy Glenn, and scouted him specifically, for more than 2 games...who don't work for a team/freelance as a scout.

Also: explain how guys suddenly shoot up/down people's draft boards 10+ spots in the space of a day. Did they see the guy go through the drive-thru at McDonald's/smoke a bowl at an after hours party?

No. They talked to a real scout/GM.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

The idea that he was a guard was well established based on his college career where he was damned good guard until injuries forced his movement to LT as a senior. He struggled early on, but improved each week and when he owned LSU late in the season scouts started thinking he could be a legit prospect at tackle. His pundit rep was hurt when Mayock mistook him for another tackle during Senior Bowl practice week and that tackle got repeatedly abused. Glenn actually had a good week of practice and solidified his case.

GO BILLS!!!

The idea that he was a guard was well established based on his college career where he was damned good guard until injuries forced his movement to LT as a senior. He struggled early on, but improved each week and when he owned LSU late in the season scouts started thinking he could be a legit prospect at tackle. His pundit rep was hurt when Mayock mistook him for another tackle during Senior Bowl practice week and that tackle got repeatedly abused. Glenn actually had a good week of practice and solidified his case.

GO BILLS!!!

Exactly. He played poorly in his one season as a LT until he got the hang of it, then got better and better as the season wore on. By the bowl games he was dominant. It's no wonder that scouts who say him early would have question marks. And that some would say he only did it for half of one year. In retrospect, of course, that is foolish. But to say like OC did that he was thought to be a LT until Buddy Nix whispered that he was guard and fooled everyone is insane.

Exactly. He played poorly in his one season as a LT until he got the hang of it, then got better and better as the season wore on. By the bowl games he was dominant. It's no wonder that scouts who say him early would have question marks. And that some would say he only did it for half of one year. In retrospect, of course, that is foolish. But to say like OC did that he was thought to be a LT until Buddy Nix whispered that he was guard and fooled everyone is insane.

Yeah. It's insane to believe a direct quote from Buddy Nix.

:lol:

EDIT: I guess I have to explain that the best lies contain a lot of truth?

Examples in current events abound, but I'm not allowed to use any of them on this part of the board.

Kelly: just do me a favor, don't buy any land until you've checked with me first, OK?

Edited by OCinBuffalo